Photo TR: 22 Days in China with TPR

UPDATE--Chap. 22: Hong Kong Disneyland
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Turtle Maker

Re: Photo TR: 22 Days in China with TPR

Postby eBen » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:18 pm

I did find a proper sit down toilet at this place. It had a mini TV in the door!
((53 + 112 + 17 + 24 + Scandi + Mid America + North East + China so far + other = >4??) - (powered = bah + humbug)) = Happy Fun Time

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:38 pm

^Now that's service.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby David H » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:08 am

Yeah, there were a bunch of those regular sit-down bathroom stalls with video screens over near the zoo area.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:57 am

^Well, I guess watching TV while taking a dump beats reading a magazine.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:53 am

Chapter 18: From the Mountains to the City: Knight Valley and Window of the World

Knight Valley is really more of a resort (or, as you'll see later, "rosort") than a theme park--it's also the site of tragedy. This is the park with the "Mission: Space" knock off that essentially collapsed and killed a number of people, leading to a crackdown on park safety in China. It's also the home of one of GCI's best creations, with a beautiful mountain setting (Wood Coaster). In fact, this was the best setting for a ride I'd ever seen, until we hit Ocean Park in Hong Kong. I do like the way this park is incorporated into the mountain. Nothing seems to intrude on the natural beauty of the area, and Wood Coaster fits in perfectly.

Wood Coaster is, indeed, a great ride, but much of Knight Valley's other attractions left a bit to be desired; maybe my opinion would've been different if more of them had been operating. The park's flume ride, which used large rubber rafts instead of "logs," looked like it could've been great--especially the way it flowed through part of the park's hotel. Unfortunately, the ride looked as though it hadn't been running for a few years. Their "Journey to the Center of the Earth" knock off was down for maintenance, as well. Many of the flats seemed to be closed; at least, there was a lack of staff to operate them. Many of the park's escalators were also out of commission. (Fortunately, the park's staff was quite nice and gave us a tram ride up to the coaster.)

That being said, Knight Valley was worth the trip just for Wood Coaster alone. There was a surprising amount of airtime hidden in the usual "twisty" GCI layout, and it was very re-rideable--in fact, it cracked my top ten in the 2012 Hawker Poll (6th place). A funicular ride to the top of the mountain above Wood Coaster offers great views (and some more rides). There's a stunt show, too, along with a nice set of Bob Karts.

Overall, Knight Valley is a beautiful place, if a bit lacking as a theme park.
01.jpg
A blessing! A blessing from the Lord!

God be praised!
02.jpg
Hmm--the maintenance guys seem to be a bit concerned with something they've spotted on this sign.
03.jpg
Perhaps this caught their eye.
04.jpg
"Oh, crap! How am I gonna scan this into the Park Index?"
05.jpg
Hmm--looks like our filming session is a bit higher up the mountain.
06.jpg
Fortunately, the staff gave us a ride (it would've been quite an uphill trudge to the coaster).
07.jpg
We were lucky that "Aquapig" (?) was there to protect us. . .
08.jpg
. . . along with the rest of the Super Friends.
09.jpg
Our quest is at an end.
10.jpg
The staff warmed it up for us.
11.jpg
I think this is Chinese for "Mind Thy Head."
12.jpg
Yay! It's our turn now. This filming session was great (maybe the best one of the trip).
12a.jpg
This ride never lets up from beginning to end.
13.jpg
And it uses its mountain setting very well.
14.jpg
I really liked this turnaround.
15.jpg
Not quite "90 degrees" on the turnaround (as I recall), but close enough. And, yes, there is that trademark GCI "fly through" of the station.
15a.jpg
It's like riding a coaster in a jungle.
15b.jpg
Yes, there is a "tunnel," which you do, indeed, "take."
16.jpg
Another great run done!
17.jpg
TPR at work--great job, Robb and Hanno!
18.jpg
I think the whole group was pretty happy with this ride. I think the mountain setting really makes it.
19.jpg
We were really looking forward to checking this one out.
20.jpg
D'oh! Oh well--such is life.
21.jpg
There's always the stunt show with three names. "Roaning Flood" is name no. 1.
22.jpg
Name no. 2. And hooray for "fire exploration"!
22a.jpg
And no. 3--at least they all contain some form of the word "flood."
23.jpg
No sign of any flooding yet, but there is a lone woman wandering around on the rocks.
24.jpg
"You'd better start the flood or set someone on fire before I get really mad!"
25.jpg
Yeah, they love to set dudes on fire at Knight Valley.
26.jpg
They love it so much, they do it twice.
27.jpg
There is, indeed, a flood.
28.jpg
Yes, this is a "flash" flood that "roars" and, er, "roans," I guess.
29.jpg
There's an exhibit and a 3D "Circlevision" flick about jellyfish in this building.
30.jpg
None of the jellyfish were set on fire.
31.jpg
Er, Avatar, anyone?
32.jpg
I think this is the building that houses the infamous "Mission: Space" knock off.
33.jpg
Nope. Not gonna say it, Chris.
34.jpg
The Bob Karts were running--and they were good.
35.jpg
This makes Larry very excited.
36.jpg
I agree that "real anger" could lead to some sort of "emergency." More to come from Knight Valley--with a bit of Window of the World.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:52 pm

After making a brief credit stop at Zhongshan Park in Shenzen (the Spinning Mouse and Sliding Dragon strike again), we spent a few hours at Window of the World. Like Beijing World Park, this place features re-creations of famous world landmarks, such at Mt. Rushmore and the Eiffel Tower, in addition to some shows and a few rides. I thought it was a bit nicer than the park in Beijing: the landscaping was quite pretty, the replica buildings were in pretty good shape, and there was a very engaging Chinese goofiness about the place. The coaster there was the odd Greenland Underground Exploration ride, which was themed to time of the Vikings. At least I think it was. The ride vehicle looked like a Viking ship, but the ride itself was do dark you couldn't see a damn thing as it rumbled and slammed and bumped around the course.

WOTW also had a very wet flume ride, some nonfunctional Bob Karts, and anatomically correct sculptures. But, first, I have a few more pictures from Knight Valley.
37.jpg
Look! I've found the new Mayan Calendar! Turns out the world wasn't going to end on December 21, 2012, and we have a few million years to go. Oh, well.
38.jpg
Piers? What are you doing at Knight Valley? I thought you hung out at Happy Valley parks.
39.jpg
This is one of the most interesting flume rides I've ever seen.
39a.jpg
Somehow, I don't think it'll be opening today.
40.jpg
On the left is the best theme-park 4D flick ever. On the right is Pandaf*****gvision. To each his or her own.
41.jpg
Not being able to "exist" during the show could be a bit of a challenge.
42.jpg
We skipped both shows to make sure we could ride the funicular before the group had to leave. It was a lot of fun.
43.jpg
Hi there, Wood Coaster.
44.jpg
It was very nice at the top.
45.jpg
Now that's a a helluva setting for one of these rides.
46.jpg
This is another good reason for visiting Knight Valley . . .
47.jpg
. . . if some chunky American doesn't block the view. Time to move on.
48.jpg
Our latest guide, Jack, did pretty well his first day. But when we reached Shenzen, his entire world collapsed. Here we see him asking some random woman on the street for directions to Zhongshan Park--even though Robb had the place pinpointed on Google Maps.
49.jpg
"Dude! The woman in the hat already told you which way to go!"
50.jpg
Thanks to Robb, and despite Jack, we found the park.
51.jpg
And there was much rejoicing.
52.jpg
If I didn't know this was China, I'd swear I was in Reno, Nevada, back in the 1980s.
53.jpg
Why, thank you! Damn glad to be here.
54.jpg
Time to explore--or at least "Walk Like an Egyptian."
55.jpg
When comic book franchises collide.
56.jpg
This sculpture depicts the upbringing of Romulus and Remus, founders of the Roman Empire. Or was that of the Romulan Empire. Or maybe it's just some random babies suckling a wolf. At any rate, it's culture.
57.jpg
That must be one dangerous grate.
58.jpg
Hi George, Tom, Teddy, Abe.
59.jpg
"From the Rainbow Bridge of Asgard . . ."
60.jpg
It's a boat. It's a roller coaster. One thing it isn't, is good--but it is "interesting."
61.jpg
Torture! Torture! It pleasures me!
62.jpg
I'm shocked that no one drowned.
63.jpg
"Look! Art!"
64.jpg
And, as we all know, Robb is an art lover.
65.jpg
This is Egypt, not Vegas--even though the sign out front reminds one of Reno.
66.jpg
They did do a pretty good job with some of their replicas.
67.jpg
The giant fruit is just what you'd find in the real "Land of Dutch."
68.jpg
Remember--this is "culture."
69.jpg
The Japanese garden was very pretty--even though the Japanese are not too popular in China.
70.jpg
Hello, Angus! So, you finally caught up with me.
71.jpg
We missed the "Epic Romance," . . .
72.jpg
. . . which apparently starred Tobey McGuire as a Chinese soldier.
73.jpg
There is an attraction called "Splendid China" in China. How silly is that? Next, you'll tell me there's a "California Adventure" in California. ;)

That's all for now.
Last edited by cfc on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:49 am.

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:56 pm

Love the setting of the wood coaster in the mountains following the terrain. very nice.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:40 pm

Window of the World, where the women in the gift shops try to molest you.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:08 pm

^The shopkeepers in that park were even more aggressive than the peddlers in Shanghai. They would literally drag you to their stores!

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby kailisun98 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:15 am

The wood coaster does seem awesome but "Wood Coaster" Seems like a lame name for an awesome ride.
Top 5 Steel: 1. Outlaw Run @ SDC 2. Flight Deck@CGA 3. X2@ SFMM 4. Medusa@ SFDK 5.YOLOcoaster @ SFMM
Top 3 Wooden: 1. El Toro@ SFGA 2.Gold Striker @ CGA 3. Apocolypse@ SFMM 4. "High Five"@ OCT Wuhan
Total Coaster Count: Wooden: 15 Steel: 143 Total: 158

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive