TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Liseberg Discussion Thread

^I hope I'm wrong, but I get the feeling that we've become too politically correct over here for many new parks to do Christmas events that don't already. It's too bad because there are a lot of parks that could pull off very nice ones.

I would love to see more parks in the US do Christmas events. They can really be quite nice if done right.

Kennywood's was OK last year. It was really nice to see the park in a different perspective, but I was expecting just a little bit more... Hopefully they will improve on the event this year!

I'm mostly not so much interested in xmas events at parks as in winter months in northern areas most coasters are down. If you're lucky an old Schwarzkopf looper is there that also runs at or near freezing temperatures as it was based on portable technology - the double-loop Testrecke ran with snowfall and minus 5 degrees Centigrade two years ago at a winter market in Berlin. IMO it's kinda sad that most manufacturers today can't built coasters that also work on a clear winter day.

I'm mostly not so much interested in xmas events at parks as in winter months in northern areas most coasters are down. If you're lucky an old Schwarzkopf looper is there that also runs at or near freezing temperatures as it was based on portable technology - the double-loop Testrecke ran with snowfall and minus 5 degrees Centigrade two years ago at a winter market in Berlin. IMO it's kinda sad that most manufacturers today can't built coasters that also work on a clear winter day.

Rode Rabalder at Liseberg a few years ago at the winter season, it was -15°C, never been so cold in my life. They had to close the water ride (Kaninresan) due to the fact that it froze. So yes some company's can make rides that work when it's cold, however most likely only for small rides, but then again it's not all that nice to go on a large coaster when it's really cold, especially when considering the wind chill factor.

It's really bad that I haven't been there yet this winter, hopefully soon, so I can get some construction pictures of Kaninlandet and some more "glowing" images

• 1 month later...

In yesterdays paper there were an article about the last day of the 2012 seasons, to wrap up everything for this year but also gives a few glimpses into the future of Liseberg. Nothing about new attractions or such but more about extended operating time.

Like extending the winter season to include a few days after Christmas as well, not just close the day before. Also the concept of Halloween is also brought up, which here is a bag of mixed feelings. The good part is that most school kids are free around that time, so there is definitely people available to visit the park.

I do like the Halloween park visits I have done, but if Liseberg goes for it then they should take the "good" parts of Halloween and mix it up with our more Swedish traditions around that time than just copying the American stuff. Also I really hope that they have more attractions than just the kids stuff open during that "season", along with some scare mazes

Time frame for all this is, 2013 for extended Christmas time and 2014 as the earliest Halloween event.

The final question though is that how on earth they should manage to fit it in into the schedule, since they usually close down for summer a week or two before and then open for winter about 2 weeks after. They may end up with cutting down the other seasons to get the time to set up everything.

Unfortunately I can't give an source to this, since they paper haven't been able to update their web page due to the holidays, but I will get back to it once it does.

Also, I did not get then chance to get to Liseberg during the winter season, so I am unable to post any construction update of Kaninlandet.

Forgive me, as I have never been to Liseberg. But why is their season so short? Most parks manage to do Halloween, Winter and everything else - barely even closing the park at all!

It's all about the weather when you're living up here in the north

^^ I guess that you compare to the big English parks like Alton, Thorpe, etc?

A few reasons that I can think about are:

Weather, yes I know that Sweden isn't much further north than the UK, but weather wise we have it a bit cooler and a lot more unstable weather, winter times there are times where we have very cold weather with loads of snow. Most attractions will not work at those conditions so there isn't any real idea to open the park during these months. Yes of course there are a few attractions open during the winter season, but they are more or less only the kiddy rides the rest of the park are a big market with loads of food, handicraft and other stuff. There have still been times that they have been forced to shut some of the rides due to the weather.

Visitors, most visitors come around the usual vacation period (July + first half of August), meaning that the park can be more or less empty outside this period (especially weekdays). Gothenburg and the surrounding area don't really have the number of residents to justify the park having a longer season as it is. Sure Halloween could draw in a number of people, since there is a school holiday around the beginning of November. From an economical stand point then having longer season will force the park to employ a larger staff, since most ride operators are just seasonal workers.

The last one I can think of is that they may employ a different philosophy that they run the park, in comparison to say Merlin. Liseberg make good use of their off season, all the rides goes through the required maintenance, all constructions are completed, in essence you can say that everything is made ready for the next season. This means that on the opening day of the season everything is done, all rides works, the personnel is trained and ready, everything just works. Compare that to Thorpe or Alton where half the rides are still shut due to the fact that they haven't completed their maintenance, etc.

The feeling of coming to a complete park on the first day is really satisfying.

Even though all these reasons that gives the park the short season that it have, it still manages to bring in more visitors per season (about three million) than most of the parks in the UK, I think that only BPB may get more visitors (depending on how they count them) than Liseberg. So Liseberg don't really need a longer season as it is. And with the introduction of Halloween then the main summer season may be cut shorter as a result.

Wow--this ride is much larger that I had thought based on earlier concepts. I didn't realize that it used so much of the hill, or that it had a tunnel near the drop tower.

The tunnel is the station

So it is. I was confusing Lisebergbanan's station with that of the new ride. Pretty cool how they're filtting the new ride in among all those existing attractions.

Edited by cfc

This looks like it is really using the hill to its advantage. I like how it launches through the corkscrew and then uses the hill to gain enough speed to make it through the pretzel element. Then, fires you back up the hill for the second half. I can't wait to see a POV!