Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 968 - Hallowscream to return this year
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK) Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:16 pm

dj snow wrote:
robbalvey wrote:Twisted Twins hasn't run since 2007 and I think it would be one thing if a ride hadn't run, but the rest of the park is still being maintained, but the fact that it has now been totally neglected, not winterized, or taken care of in any way for the last 5 seasons, the ride is probably toast.
I don't think it's beyond repair--it would probably require all new track, replacement/rehab of mechanical systems, and new trains (since the old ones are gone). But Twisted Twins wasn't that great a ride to begin with anyway, and it was waaaaaay back there where not enough people would go. One might be able to make a case for getting it running in its current location if the park should reopen, but I wouldn't see much reason for any other park to buy it and move it.

This was actually my thought exactly. I said "probably" because I assumed the cost to actually make this ride operational again, especially in another park, would be cost prohibitive. But anything is certainly possible! =)
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:16 pm.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby mudvayneimn » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:14 pm

^^ From my understanding, the KSFB allowed Six Flags to keep Chang if the chain gave those parcels of land back. I believe all the land is now currently owned by the fair board.
There are only two knowns in life...you were born. and you are going to die. I say F*uck that, lets ride a coaster! :lmao:

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby dj snow » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:59 am

That's quite possible, but Six Flags never owned the piece of land on which Twisted Twins' station is situated. That land is owned by the family of Ed Hart. So he can influence the future of that particular ride, no matter who (if anyone) ends up reopening the park.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby Chittlins » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:14 am

If by chance the twins are saved, give them the Rocky Mountain treatment and have the first dueling wooden coaster with an inversion on each track.

I eat bugs.

Postby deathbydinn » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:51 pm

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- A new lease on the former Kentucky Kingdom site could be signed in weeks.

Governor Steve Beshear confirmed that news to WDRB Tuesday afternoon. The governor did not name the bidder but said there is only one.

It's believed businessman Ed Hart is the only one who filed a proposal.

"I think we are very close on a lease, and then we'll have a bidder that will be able to do the financing," says Beshear, who added that it would likely be weeks, rather than months, before the lease was signed.

The governor said the deal would require that the state is under no financial obligation.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/20377782/new-lease-on-kentucky-kingdom-site-could-be-signed-in-coming-weeks

Add me on Simpsons Tapped Out - jongrundl

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby simaticable » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:13 pm

So, this could finally be coming to an end...or it could be the beginning of something new.
Schwarzkopf was a genius; anything less makes you a moron. ;)

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby firewalk13 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:24 pm

Chittlins wrote:If by chance the twins are saved, give them the Rocky Mountain treatment and have the first dueling wooden coaster with an inversion on each track.

While out on this limb, I'd like to agree and suggest this as the new coaster/attraction when the park would open. There'd be an immense cost to rehabbing & replacing rides, might as well drop the cash on a pre-existing structure (if it is indeed salvageable) to make a new unique experience.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:31 pm

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20130110/NEWS01/301100031/Fair-Board-closer-considering-Kentucky-Kingdom-lease?nclick_check=1

Kentucky Kingdom lease negotiations with a group led by investor Ed Hart are apparently wrapping up, with the Kentucky State Fair Board expected to consider a deal on reopening the long-dormant park at its Jan. 24 meeting.

“I have been led to believe that, if the state gets everything worked out, we hope to have it (a Kentucky Kingdom lease) on the agenda,” board Chairman Ron Carmicle said in an interview, adding that he is optimistic about striking a deal with Hart’s Kentucky Kingdom Redevelopment Co.

The group led by Hart, who operated the park for nearly a decade through the late 1990s, was the only one to respond in October to a state solicitation to run the Kentucky Exposition Center amusement park, which has been closed since 2009.

Under state procurement policy, state officials say they can’t comment on pending contract negotiations.

Pam Trautner, spokeswoman for the Kentucky Finance and Administration Cabinet, which is heading up the Kentucky Kingdom negotiations for the state, declined to comment. So did Hart on Thursday. And Amanda Storment, fair board spokeswoman, said she had no information on the status of the negotiations.

But Gov. Steve Beshear has said in recent interviews that, like Carmicle, he is optimistic a deal is within reach.

Carmicle said he has not been privy to details but he said Finance and Administration officials have advised him of the progress.

If a lease is approved, he said, he expects Hart’s group will seek to finalize financing and, at the same time, apply for state tourism tax credits. Under that state program, operators of ventures that promote tourism can recover part of their investment by keeping a share of state sales taxes generated by their projects.

Carmicle affirmed Beshear’s insistence that the state will not be responsible for any debt payments if Hart defaults on any private loan. “The governor has been very specific about not wanting taxpayers on the hook for any debt.”

Carmicle said he would expect that many of the final lease provisions will match the proposal Hart made public in October.

Hart said then that his proposal for reopening the park, ideally in 2014, calls for investing $120 million — $50 million up front, with the rest over 30 years under a 30-year lease. His group proposed doubling the size of the water park and adding a $15 million roller coaster and three other major rides.

Hart sold his right to operate the park to Six Flags for about $80 million. Six Flags abandoned the park in early 2010 and filed for financial-reorganization bankruptcy.

A group of primarily former park employees, using the name Save My Park, has been lobbying state and local officials to reopen the park.

“We are looking forward to having a deal being signed and final,” said Jacob Zimmer, a spokesman for Save My Park. “Our community needs the venue for family entertainment and well as for economic development and job growth.”

Hart’s partners in Kentucky Kingdom Redevelopment are businessman Bruce Lunsford, who has invested with Hart in film productions and other ventures; Louisville lawyer Ed Glasscock; and Mary Moseley, head of the Al J. Schneider Co., which owns the Galt House, the Crowne Plaza across Phillips Lane from the expo center and other hotel and office properties.

The latest effort marks the third proposal to reopen the park in the past two years.

Hart submitted an initial proposal to the fair board in 2010, but the board ended months of discussions with him in October 2011, saying the state couldn’t meet his demands.

Then the owners of Holiday World in Santa Claus, Ind., made a passing attempt to reopen the park as Bluegrass Boardwalk and invest about $16.5 million. The Holiday World group withdrew abruptly last spring, citing the extensive requirements to obtain government incentives and the deteriorated condition of some of the rides and equipment.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:23 am

I just wish this stupid thing would be done. It's amazing this is still going on, and still virtually at the same place.

Young and Stupid! I blame my parents.

Postby SoCalCoasters » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:47 am

2010:

Organization: We want to re-open the park.
Fair Board: We'll think about it.

Nah.

2011:

Nah.

2012:

Nah.

2013:????
TPR's Biggest Legoland Nerd, and proud!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!