Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 269 - Epcot is getting a makeover!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:46 am

Hilltopper39 wrote:
robbalvey wrote: The lighting they installed on the outside portion at night is REALLY amazing!

Did you happen to get any pictures of the outdoor lightning at night? Just curious what that looked like, I can't remember if the old version had any lighting at night on the outdoor section or not. I'll admit, my comments about the outdoor section were REALLY nit picky. I wasn't really trying to complain about it or purposely find something to be negative about I was just thinking that a little bit of the lighting they used inside could really enhance the experience outside, especially at night.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:53 am

robbalvey wrote:No matter how you slice it, it still goes Journey > Test Track > Racers

--Robb

Every ride needs a Lava Monster! It's hard to top how Journey quickly winds its way back to the surface, too--no to mention that nice pop of air when you emerge from the cave.

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:35 am

If all they had done was fix the queue, it would have been a vast improvement. But all of these changes make me really want to get down there soon to ride this. The ride looks really, really good.

And yes, any ride on Earth can be improved with the addition of Lava Monster!

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Tanthus » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:25 pm

robbalvey wrote:No matter how you slice it, it still goes Journey > Test Track > Racers

A ride themed on a "race" should not feel slow...and it feels slow. It's no more/less of a family ride than Journey or Test Track. They all have the same height restrictions, they all are targeting a similar audience. Racers just has a weak ending when it should have been going balls out like Test Track. And that's the honest truth!
--Robb

Yea, can't seem to argue with that ordering, especially with the new theming... Tron, how can go wrong! My youngest daughter wants me to book a trip today (Disney converted her with Electronica)

I wish with Racers you got more of a race feel from it, like one car moving out in front where you can see it then being able to catch up.

I can't see defending anything over anything else just due to location. I want all things to get the best of everything. Some will be better some will be worse. I really just want them to be different. If I travel 1000+ miles to see something I don't want to see the exact same thing that I can drive 30 minutes to see.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Solid Gold » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:22 am

Got to try out the new Test Track earlier yesterday and finally completed all the rides at Disney World.

It is crazy cool, weird, and disjointed. The vehicle design process is my favorite part, you get about 10 minutes to complete it and do whatever the heck you want to your car. My friends and I ended up with 3 vehicles that ended up completely different from each other.

I thought the ride itself had a bit of the 80's computer thing going on more so than futuristic stuff. Lots of grid lines, not to compare this ride to Tron because in the end it has NOTHING to do with Tron, but the computer grid styling is all there. The rendered concept cars often reminded me a lot of F-Zero X for the N64.

As far as disjointed, it is a bit odd at times. The Front entrance and queue line really don't look much like the design room which doesn't really look like the station for the ride. Then the ride looks like the design room did, except for the outdoor section, which IMO is a really really odd and frankly poor transition going from "Futuristic Nighttime Highway" to "Modern Interstate and Very Ugly Epcot Backstage" even if it's fast and fun. DEFINITELY needs some audio. That's a no brainer to me. Maybe it's a night ride at heart...

After the ride, everything is done really well and we had a hell of a time using our RFID cards to swipe on everything they had. Make sure to spend time on the post-ride stuff, it's really fun.

Overall, it's Epcot's biggest attraction, so really really glad to see it reopen. It's thrilling and weird, didn't really do it for me but I'd have to ride more times on the ride itself to judge.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby kelfsu » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:58 pm

Has anyone had success viewing their post ride "commercial" at home? I really enjoyed that part of the post show, but the video that I emailed home doesn't seem to be working even though my Quicktime is up to date.

Loved the ride. Really like the indoor graphics and effects.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:05 pm

We attended the Test Track re-launch party a few days ago as part of the "New Fantasyland" media day. All I can say is WOW!!! Not only does Disney really know how to throw a party, the ride was FANTASTIC! Here's a mini-update and then I'll post the full thing later...

About the ride...

- I can see that someone would still "like" the old version (I do!), but after riding the new version, I can't believe anyone wouldn't think they did a GREAT job on it! Has to be the best "re-imagined" attraction I've seen Disney do to date.

- The "Design-a-car" aspect of it exceeded all my expectations. I thought it would be kind of cheesy, but it was so well done, really integrated in the ride, and so intuitive that even Kristen did the vwhole thing without our help. Well done!

- The ride feels really "NEW" again. The queue is just stunning when you walk in the door for the first time. I couldn't even believe there had been a ride there for 10+ years.

- For all those people who kept saying they needed to do something with the outside portion, I disagree. The outside portion of Test Track was and is still one of the BEST moments of any Disney attraction. It's certainly WAY better than the outside portion of Radiator Springs Racers (and don't get me wrong, I really like that ride!), so I'm not sure why the outside portion would have needed any enclosure or anything, except...

- My only *slight* negative was that there used to be audio during the outside portion (Push it! Push it! Push it!) and it seems weird that the outside portion is now totally quiet. But that's only a minor nitpick. The lighting they installed on the outside portion at night is REALLY amazing!

Complete Ride POV Video:

Ok, onto a few pics....

Tonight we are at Epcot for the Test Track re-launch media party!

Walking up to Test Track, and WOW! You can really see this looks amazing!

Not sure if the laser sign on top is just for the party, but it looks GREAT!

Test Track is a party atmosphere tonight!

And Disney sure knows how to throw a party!

The whole party looks so "high tech", just like the new version of the ride!

And just like a Disney party, there is food and alcohol everywhere!

All the food was fantastic!

There were three different kinds of sliders, all amazing!

One Republic will be taking the stage later tonight at the Test Track Re-Launch party!

Even KidTums got a glowey drink! (Don't worry... It's just Sprite... We think! lol)

I'm a huge fan of Test Track and movies like Tron so I'm kinda geeking out right now!

Meg Crofton, President of Disney Resorts Operations said a few things about the new version of the attraction.

Alan Batey, VP of Sales at GM talked about the long standing relationship they have had with Epcot.

And finally, the real star of the show, Mickey Mouse came out to re-open the ride!

Test Track is officially RE-LAUNCHED!!!!

A crazy amount of confetti was used!

Here's a short video from the entire opening ceremony:

The lighting added to the outside part of the ride looked fantastic!

The new Test Track queue is totally changed and its AWESOME!!!

The queue features all these Chevy "Cars of the future."

It's crazy to see just how different the queue is! In a good way!

Hard to tell in photos, but they had these holographic images that were really impressive!

The effects in the queue are amazing. Multiple images are mapped into this car.

The queue has interactive elements to keep you busy while you wait!

More cool looking queue stuff....

These are the "design rooms" on the lower level, and it's all totally new!

With our RFID card in hand, we are about to go into Studio B to design our car!

KidTums is a future Chevrolet car designer!

Here is the car that KidTums designed. It's blue with butterfly's and flowers! lol

When you wait in the stand by line, you go in here and you have a few minutes to build your car. Part of the whole "interactivity" of the ride.

Yup, the queue is "NextGen" ready!

Proceed to the Sim Track!

I think this is my favourite part of the new Test Track! GONE are all the congested queues and the bottle necking from the old pre-show rooms! LOVE THIS!!!!

KidTums taps the card to upload the vehicle she designed!

We are ready to ride!

Check out the new paint job on the Test Track cars!

They look REALLY good!

The new ride is REALLY different, and these pictures really don't do it justice.

One thing this new version has, that the old version didn't was "height." This is coming into the old ABS brake check area, and I felt myself constantly looking around at stuff. It's really cool!

Some people are staying that the "test track" theme is gone, but it really isn't.... You are still testing the car through weather conditions, seeing how it performs on tight turns, etc. The ride theme is really not that much different!

It just looks a LOT more futuristic now!

Here we are in our car of the future!

And I feel this "look" fits in more with Future World than the old Test Track did.

There are a few things you *might* remember from the old version of the ride!

They keep track of how well everyone's personal car they made does throughout the ride. This is actually a really cool element, and again, is part of the "test" that each car goes through.

Photos don't do the new version justice. These rooms are just so slick, high-tech looking and impressive. You really gotta ride it!

About to crash through the "barrier test!"

Here we go!!!!

If there was one minor nitpick I had about the new version is the lack of audio on the outside portion of the ride.

The outside section is still, hands down, one of the BEST moments of any Disney attraction. And the lighting at night is AWESOME!

KidTums approved!

Love the old "World of Motion" logos incorporated into all the signage!

At the end of the ride you tap your RFID card and you see how your car performed on the Test Track.

The interactive displays in the post-show area were all really cool looking!

There are still plenty of Chevy cars on display.

More interactive fun stuff to do...

Not all the games were open for us or working, so this will give us something to come back and do!

KidTums! You're not 16 yet!!!

LOL! Want a "Turkey Leg" air freshener for my car!

Remember KidTums - don't drink and drive!

There's One Republic! Now the party has really kicked into high gear!

Ok, so maybe KidTums isn't much of a One Republic fan!

Back out to the party checking out the dessert offerings!

OMG! They were making "Liquid Nitrogen Ice Cream!"

Pick up a cone, get some ice cream, and a topping!

The girls chose plain old Vanilla!

We decided to give the FastPass and Single Rider line a try to see what that experience is like.

You still get an RFID card, and you still get to design a car...

But the design process is quicker, and a bit more scaled back for Single Rider and FastPass users.

At least you still get some options, which is cool....

but you don't get the full design studio, like in the stand-by, which makes sense, because the design studio is part of the longer version of the queue. It's so well integrated, that you don't actually notice that you're waiting in a line!

Another look at the loading area. The queue is SO much improved over the old version, I can't even say how awesome it is!

Some of the new merchandise!

OMG! ADAM!!!! It's a new trash can AND it has classic Epcot on it! You must be in Epcot fanboy heaven right now!

KidTums approves the new Test Track!

The ride is a HUGE improvement! It's not that far of a departure from the original concept. New Test Track is a WIN!

All I can say is WOW! They did an AWESOME job on the new version! Once you've been on the new version, especially with how amazing the queue is laid out, and how cool the "design your car" part of the interactivity is, I can't imagine how people would say they like the old version "better." I can understand people still liking the old version (I do!), but this new version is also FANTASTIC! One of the best "re-imagined" Disney attractions they've done to date!

Now.... POST YOUR COMMENTS!!!
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:21 pm.

Former captain of the Arrow bus.

Postby Erik Johnson » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:30 am

It looks like Am going to have to get an annual pass this year. It really looks great!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:40 am

I don't know what's more impressive the new attraction or the party they threw for it! Looks great, can't wait to check it out sometime.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:47 am

I'm really looking forward to trying the new Test Track myself. Looks like time and money well spent.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!