Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT BGA Discussion Thread)

P. 807: Tigris track installation now complete!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Take pictures of my feet

Re: Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT BGA) Discussion Thread

Postby nay » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:43 am

I'm really curious to see what this event is like. I'm hoping to take my parents there in a few weeks. Everything I've seen so far looks great!

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Sue » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:54 am

Really looking forward to seeing some trip reports on this!

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby jjune4991 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:44 pm

I will be going in the next few weeks. I can't wait because I've been wanting this since I've seen the pictures from BGW. I have friends who have been working on it for the past few months, and they are very excited for it to be open and love how good it turned out.

TPR Trip: InimidaTOUR
TPR Bash: East Coast Bash (2010), Busch Gardens Bash

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:00 pm

On Friday I had the chance to visit the brand new Christmas Town extra ticket event at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay. Inspired by the success of its Busch Gardens Williamsburg counterpart, Christmas Town takes the already stellar park experience and gives it a holiday twist while retaining some of the favorite attractions available normally in the park.

Let me just say that this event, like rival extra ticket events found in Central Florida will require proper time management and possibly even additional visits to see and experience it all (I know I want to go back to catch what I missed during this visit). There is simply so much to do at Christmas Town that for the price of $35-$40 (depending on advance ticket prices and annual passholder rates) is easily justified, if not proven a steal of a deal for the total value.

The event offers several special entertainment offerings that are exclusive to Christmas Town. Of those offered, I was able to see three, but will definitely go back to revisit those and to see the ones I missed. Rather than list out my thoughts here, I'm going to include them in the captions for the related photos... But seriously, if you were on the fence about Christmas Town or were interested in this event, take a look because this is one of my new favorite holiday experiences for Florida! There's really so much to love, so let's begin!

Click to download video to your computer or iPod/iPhone

DSC02964.JPG
Welcome to Christmas Town!
DSC02968.JPG
From the second you enter the park you are greeted with some incredible Christmas lighting.
DSC02969.JPG
One of the first entertainment offerings is the the Christmas Carolers at the front. Be sure to watch the video above for glimpse at their humorous holiday tunes!
DSC02974.JPG
There's really so much to do at Christmas Town!
f0d1c148cef14c3493312220c91329a9_map_full.jpg
Here's a look at the event's park map. I was truly surprised at just how much of the park is actually utilized for Christmas Town!
DSC02978.JPG
You can get a photo with a Christmas Angel.
DSC02979.JPG
Iconic portions of the park look even better during the Christmas Town hours of operation!
DSC02981.JPG
Cheetah Hunt is one of the four coasters open during the event, and as always, it runs amazingly! Even better, the entire Edge of Africa section of the ride is totally unlit, so it is a totally new experience to be had!

I call it, Space Cheetah!
DSC02983.JPG
The Crossroads (Cheetah Hunt's realm) received several awesome Christmas additions including this huge tree!
DSC02987.JPG
In addition to being open for quick service dinner during the event, the Crown Colony House serves as the second entertainment offering exclusive to Christmas Town in the form of the Carol of the Bells. Covered in stunning dancing lights (akin to the Osborne Spectacle of Dancing Lights), the entire face of the building plays host to a two-song performance that replays every fifteen minutes for guests to enjoy.
DSC02989.JPG
Like other extra ticket events, the park's capacity is more limited, allowing wait times for the rides to decrease significantly.

In other words Cheetah Hunt was a walk on!
DSC03001.JPG
Jingle Bell Junction, located around the entrance of Gwazi, is home to some of the more kid-friendly options in the event.
DSC03006.JPG
Gwazi is open for business during Christmas Town, which means another chance to ride those awesome Millenium Flyers that Busch Gardens added last year!
DSC03007.JPG
The Jingle Bell Express is a trackless children's train ride found in Jingle Bell Junction.
DSC03009.JPG
The sheer amount of Christmas lights added to the park is amazing!
DSC03014.JPG
Ever seen a Christmas tree made of poinsettias? Poinsettia Parkway has that covered and more!
DSC03019.JPG
Enchanted Flamingo Valley is covered in pink lights in tribute to Florida's most well known birds.
DSC03020.JPG
And there has to be flamingo lights in a place called Enchanted Flamingo Valley...
DSC03022.JPG
Moving towards the back of the park we find Sesame Street: A Very Furry Christmas, a holiday update of the Sesame Street Safari of Fun also open during the event.
DSC03021.JPG
Like the rest of the park sections involved in Christmas Town the Safari of Fun portion is well lit.
DSC03024.JPG
What is the main attraction of this area during Christmas Town, you ask?
DSC03116.JPG
It's to get a photo op with Bird Bird and Cookie Monster!
DSC03028.JPG
Next on the agenda was Angels of Peace: A Christmas Journey on Ice.
DSC03037.JPG
As with all of the ice skating shows Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has hosted over the years at the Moroccan Palace, this one truly impresses!
DSC03038.JPG
I've never seen an ice skating show with aerial acrobatics, so this was neat to watch!
DSC03039.JPG
The show is very modern in its approach with the perfect run time and is not overly religious, making it accessible to the entire audience (myself included).
DSC03044.JPG
There's immense talent to be found on this stage, and this show is something of spectacle just to see the movements performed.
DSC03046.JPG
I strongly recommend taking the time to see one of the two shows of Angels of Peace during your visit to Christmas Town!
DSC03052.JPG
How could I resist walking back onto Cheetah Hunt for another awesome night ride?
DSC03055.JPG
They have specialty Dippin' Dots flavors!
DSC03058.JPG
Cheetah Hunt looks amazing as always!
DSC03062.JPG
Busch Gardens recently added a digital sign beneath the Cheetah Hunt windcatcher tower...
DSC03059.JPG
Which allowed us to see this...
DSC03063.JPG
And more excitingly this!
DSC03064.JPG
Lai-Toe-Speeeed!!!
DSC03066.JPG
Candy Cane Lane is the path way guests can take to head towards Santa's House and Timbuktu.
DSC03070.JPG
The Serengeti Express takes on the holiday persona of the Christmas Town Sing Along Train. Sadly we didn't have time to try this one...
DSC03071.JPG
Much like the one at Busch Gardens Williamburg, Christmas Town features some penguins, except these ones are African Penguins!
DSC03076.JPG
I had no idea that African Penguins even existed!
DSC03077.JPG
Not quite what I imagined the North Pole would look like...
DSC03082.JPG
The path to Santa's House is one of the most heavily lit sections of the park during the event.
DSC03087.JPG
As expected, Santa Claus is a very popular man in Christmas Town.
DSC03090.JPG
This is as close as we were able to get to Santa on this evening in order to make sure that we had time to visit Snow World, but we heard nothing but good things about the meet and greet experience.
DSC03094.JPG
I never imagined the holidays in Timbuktu to look like this.
DSC03096.JPG
The Desert Grill looks great!
DSC03097.JPG
I didn't realize this until we arrived, but Scorpion is open for Christmas Town and runs incredibly as always. This Schwarzkopf looper is still very forceful, smooth and insanely fun!
DSC03100.JPG
Club Elf can be found in Stanleyville on the way to Sheikra.
DSC03102.JPG
Stanleyville looks even better at night thanks to these added decorations!
DSC03108.JPG
Miracle Way is the pathway between Stanleyville and the Sesame Street Safari of Fun, and its entrance features this iconic scene.
DSC03111.JPG
The covered pathway has been in the park forever, but the added lighting really makes it look even better!
DSC03118.JPG
We've saved the best for last (it was actually the last thing we experienced at Christmas Town) by going to Snow World.
DSC03121.JPG
That's right folks! This is real snow, not soap or foam, but really powder in Florida! Found in one of the covered pavilions typically used for Howl-O-Scream houses, this decent-sized venue holds my favorite aspect of Christmas Town.
DSC03127.JPG
There's even a snow tubing course in Snow World! Check out the video above for a POV of the slide!
DSC03130.JPG
The Floridian in me really loved being able to hold real snow in Florida!
DSC03138.JPG
And the best news? Snow World is presented by Coca-Cola!

Seriously guys, I can't rave enough about Christmas Town! There's so much to enjoy, whether this is your first time at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay or your thousandth! What an incredible event this is!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mrlittle » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:51 pm

^ NO wait times for the coasters, plus awesome Christmas lights and music, and REAL FREAKING SNOW. Sounds like a lot of fun.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby simon8899 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:07 am

End of January I'llbe in there.... :roll:

This Schwarzkopf looper is still very forceful, smooth and insanely fun!

Next to all the new fancy coasters I'm also looking forward to Scorpion as it will be the only Schwarzkopf looper of my Florida trip...

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:49 am

Wow, looks like another great offering from SeaWorld parks. I've been very very impressed with their seasonal events over the past years, everyone I've ever been to (Christmas at Seaworld, Hallowscreeams, Summer Nights, Bands Brew and BBQ, Sppoktacular) have all been REALLY good and this looks no different. Kinda cool that it's a separate ticketed event, the Cheetah Hunt and Kumba walk ons make this event worth the admission price alone.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 am

The snow-play area is in particular a nice touch. I'd like to see Williamsburg do this, as well--and, hey, how about a big ice house with an ice slide and an ice bar, while they're at it? ;)

The Busch parks are doing a great job with Christmas events.

Young and Stupid! I blame my parents.

Postby SoCalCoasters » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:19 am

Looks like someone didn't view their photo at the kiosk. ;)

Great Coverage. Looks like a fantastic Holiday event.
TPR's Biggest Legoland Nerd, and proud!

Five babies drowned in a fire

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:25 am

Really excited to check this out and see how it stacks up to BGW's Christmas Town (which blew me away last year).

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!