The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

P. 5296 - West Coast Racers Coming in 2019!
Users viewing this topic: clippers6, VegasBaby and 15 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby WFChris » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:32 pm

Well, I think we can all agree that a Maverick/Cheetah Hunt style terrain coaster would have fit the plot of land much more appropriately. It kills me that the park has this wonderful hillside that they don't use. I personally think Tatsu would have been a lot cooler if it was closer to the ground (ala Air).

I'm excited for YOLO and I'm sure it will be a hit with the GP, but I have to agree that it seems like it hightails it to the tunnel, makes use of it, then rushes back to the station. That being said, it's hardly a one-trick pony. It's like the launching coaster variety pack. With a loop. And a camelback.
Last edited by WFChris on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:48 pm.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Manic Monte » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:37 pm

Haha. I'm having flashbacks to the reaction to Pony Express. Almost word for word the same complaints. Just on a larger scale.

Still, it looks like a fun ride and if the park delivers a smooth, fast and fun ride, ultimately I think most people will end up being happy with it.

I love Xcelerator despite it being far too short.

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:54 pm

MrSum1_55 wrote:And, about the single launcher, I was thinking more along the lines of Xcelerator.

But you don't think this will be better than Xcelerator? See, I just can't understand that perspective.

Postby Manic Monte » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:06 am

I don't either. I mean I love Xcelerator, it's got a GREAT launch, a terrific top hat, and two completely useless over bank turns.

But it's not a complete coaster experience by any means. It's a gimmick ride. A very good gimmick, but a gimmick none the less.

I would put YOLOcoaster in a similar category, but it does do a few more tricks. Yes, once again SFMM wastes perfectly good terrain here, but let's not get silly. We're still more likely than not, in for a quality Premier launch coaster.

Star Wars is gay.

Postby MayTheGForceBeWithYou » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:33 am

^This.

Log Jammer took up some prime land. I was sort of hoping for something along the lines of what Cedar Point did with Maverick, but YOLOcoaster just doesn't seem to fully take advantage of the land it's on.

Nonetheless, it will still be a good ride, just not quite the best it could have been.
人生は素晴らしき冒険旅行

Slightly racist and terrible at poetry

Postby Team Thriller » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:39 am

MrSum1_55 wrote:I will no longer sugar coat it. I will flat out admit it. I am an FT hater.

You hate a ride that hasn't even been built yet? Surely the ride doesn't look that bad.

I can't wait to go back to Magic Mountain once this new coaster opens, gimmicky rides like this take crowds away from all the other rides.

-- James

Postby azza29 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:54 am

Tmcdllr wrote:But nobody can ignore the fact that it is simply just too short for what it is.

This. Another 600ft of track with a nice overbank and some camel humps would make a world of difference.

Of all the new coasters that I might get a chance to ride next year, this is the only one I won't be too upset if it's not ready in time for my trip. Still would love to try it but no biggie if I miss out.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Tmcdllr » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:03 am

azza29 wrote:
Tmcdllr wrote:But nobody can ignore the fact that it is simply just too short for what it is.

This. Another 600ft of track with a nice overbank and some camel humps would make a world of difference.

Of all the new coasters that I might get a chance to ride next year, this is the only one I won't be too upset if it's not ready in time for my trip. Still would love to try it but no biggie if I miss out.

I kind of feel the same way. Ride it a couple of times just to try it and I'm good.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby bostonlva » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:31 am

via the coaster guy

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby vacoaster09 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:48 am

The upcharge looks hideous and cheap for SFMM. The one over at Great Adventure looks more permanent and better color scheme.
They put a rainbow colored ride next to a ride themed to the end of the world. Hmm Rainbow and end of the world... "Rainbow Apocalypse".

They even got shirts they can sell
Just my two cents.

On the positive side of things... I am actually looking forward to YOLOcoaster. I am a huge premier fan. I am a huge fan of launch coasters! I think this ride is going to be great... I think it will be re-ridable and I think the top hat will provide the same kind, if not stronger, extended airtime simiar to the camel back hill on Kingda Ka. Even though thats the only spot... I think the Gs (both positive and negative) will be great. Skyrocket has shown to be great, Superman (SFDK) has shown to be great and even got an award at IAAPA so People need to just chill out... afterall You only live once. Afterall at least this ride actually flips/loops vs. the "green letdown" across the way.
Leviathan - "I am a B&M, I am clearly not the father. I305 is not my child."
Millennium Force - "Yes he is Maury... I am 100% sure"
Maury - "Leviathan ..... in the case of possessed juvenile I305 .... you are not the father!
Maverick - (giggles with guilty grin)"

PreviousNext