TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

-A family/kiddie coaster would be a better addition because it would bring a family ride to a park that dominates in thrills

That's because SFMM's target audience is thrill seekers. I hate when people say things like this. It's like saying more light scenes should be added to a Freddy Kruger movie to make it more family friendly. Also, the park just added another small coaster and there is actually plenty for families to do there, already.

-A coaster with large amounts of airtime would be a better addition because it would bring airtime to an airtime devoid park

In your opinion. Believe it or not, many, many guests find airtime to be the worst feature of roller coasters. I know a lot of my friends can't stand the "stomach drop feeling" (which I haven't experienced for years ) that comes with going over/down hills.

-A single launch coaster would be a better addition because the coaster would at least feel less gimmicky that way, as opposed to just using the launches as another gimmick

This one's gotta be a joke.

-A wood coaster would be a better addition because, even though the park already has two of them, it would at least add something a little different to the usual SFMM experience (or just about anything with no inversions)

One of the last major coaster additions was a wooden coaster. They already have a giant wooden coaster with large hills and wide turns and another with a compact-ish, twisting layout. How adding another woodie highly contribute to the variety of the coaster collection and/or provide a marketable experience?

-A coaster with multiple inversions would be a better addition because another multi-loop experience, though repetitive, would at least be an honest marketing experience, as opposed to a gimmicky one.

No. You're stretching. Really stretching.

-A longer multi-launcher would be better (obviously)

Alright, you win one. Lol

-An RMC wood coaster with inversions would be better because, for reasons stated above, it would be a more honest experience.

None of us have even ridden one of these yet. Of course Outlaw Run LOOKS great...but we should still probably wait and see.

So, basically, almost everything is better than YOLOcoaster.

I think it looks like fun.

Sorry to pick apart your posts...but surely you can admit that a lot of this was just a desperate reach for things to complain about. Full Throttle is going to be fine and I'd be willing to bet that most people who ride it will like (if not love) it.

Edited by DBru

Yes, that post was stretching it quite a bit. That is not to say these are all "good" additions, but I think they are slightly than the one at hand. And, about the single launcher, I was thinking more along the lines of Xcelerator. Also, I am a bit of a multi launcher fanboy myself, and I do find this to be a sort of blasphemy to the genre. I will no longer sugar coat it. I will flat out admit it. I am an FT hater. There actually are a lot of things I like about the rest of the park (probably more than I should) but this is not one of them. And, I hoped to convey why I am.

Well, I think we can all agree that a Maverick/Cheetah Hunt style terrain coaster would have fit the plot of land much more appropriately. It kills me that the park has this wonderful hillside that they don't use. I personally think Tatsu would have been a lot cooler if it was closer to the ground (ala Air).

I'm excited for YOLO and I'm sure it will be a hit with the GP, but I have to agree that it seems like it hightails it to the tunnel, makes use of it, then rushes back to the station. That being said, it's hardly a one-trick pony. It's like the launching coaster variety pack. With a loop. And a camelback.

Edited by WFChris

Haha. I'm having flashbacks to the reaction to Pony Express. Almost word for word the same complaints. Just on a larger scale.

Still, it looks like a fun ride and if the park delivers a smooth, fast and fun ride, ultimately I think most people will end up being happy with it.

I love Xcelerator despite it being far too short.

And, about the single launcher, I was thinking more along the lines of Xcelerator.

But you don't think this will be better than Xcelerator? See, I just can't understand that perspective.

I don't either. I mean I love Xcelerator, it's got a GREAT launch, a terrific top hat, and two completely useless over bank turns.

But it's not a complete coaster experience by any means. It's a gimmick ride. A very good gimmick, but a gimmick none the less.

I would put Full Throttle in a similar category, but it does do a few more tricks. Yes, once again SFMM wastes perfectly good terrain here, but let's not get silly. We're still more likely than not, in for a quality Premier launch coaster.

^This.

Log Jammer took up some prime land. I was sort of hoping for something along the lines of what Cedar Point did with Maverick, but Full Throttle just doesn't seem to fully take advantage of the land it's on.

Nonetheless, it will still be a good ride, just not quite the best it could have been.

I will no longer sugar coat it. I will flat out admit it. I am an FT hater.

You hate a ride that hasn't even been built yet? Surely the ride doesn't look that bad.

I can't wait to go back to Magic Mountain once this new coaster opens, gimmicky rides like this take crowds away from all the other rides.

-- James

But nobody can ignore the fact that it is simply just too short for what it is.

This. Another 600ft of track with a nice overbank and some camel humps would make a world of difference.

Of all the new coasters that I might get a chance to ride next year, this is the only one I won't be too upset if it's not ready in time for my trip. Still would love to try it but no biggie if I miss out.

But nobody can ignore the fact that it is simply just too short for what it is.

This. Another 600ft of track with a nice overbank and some camel humps would make a world of difference.

Of all the new coasters that I might get a chance to ride next year, this is the only one I won't be too upset if it's not ready in time for my trip. Still would love to try it but no biggie if I miss out.

I kind of feel the same way. Ride it a couple of times just to try it and I'm good.

The upcharge looks hideous and cheap for SFMM. The one over at Great Adventure looks more permanent and better color scheme.

They put a rainbow colored ride next to a ride themed to the end of the world. Hmm Rainbow and end of the world... "Rainbow Apocalypse".

They even got shirts they can sell

Just my two cents.

On the positive side of things... I am actually looking forward to YOLOcoaster. I am a huge premier fan. I am a huge fan of launch coasters! I think this ride is going to be great... I think it will be re-ridable and I think the top hat will provide the same kind, if not stronger, extended airtime simiar to the camel back hill on Kingda Ka. Even though thats the only spot... I think the Gs (both positive and negative) will be great. Skyrocket has shown to be great, Superman (SFDK) has shown to be great and even got an award at IAAPA so People need to just chill out... afterall You only live once. Afterall at least this ride actually flips/loops vs. the "green letdown" across the way.

It's Magic Mountain. Do you really expect theming?

In the parks defense, they have been doing better with theming. Apocalypse, Lex Luther, Road Runner Express, and even Green Latern are all somewhat themed. Are you expecting theming on-par with Disney? Because that won't happen.

I mean compared to my visit to the park in 06' and last Summer, the park has been doing a good job improving. I agree that there is still a lot of stuff they can fix (a lot of it being operations), however I do feel like people aren't giving them enough credit and just like to complain.

However, that being said I too hope that they make the Sling Shot look less ghetto.

-- James

Wow... it realy DOES look cheap for SFMM. They didn't even get the order of the colors of the rainbow right, but that isn't a concern. It looks too flexible and like it could snap. Just my opinion.

As for YOLOcoaster, I most likely wont ever get to ride it but I personally don't think the park could have needed ANOTHER coaster. It seems like they get one every year. It's an interesting concept but its too short. It needs more after the 'top-hat' or whatever they are trying to call it.