TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coney Island (Luna Park / Deno's) Development Discussion Thread

Definitely go to New York and ride if you haven't already. It's definitely a religious experience. There is a video in that link as well.

http://news.yahoo.com/over-hill-nycs-cyclone-coaster-turns-85-062638945.html

Over the hill: NYC's Cyclone coaster turns 85

NEW YORK (AP) — The ride begins with two train cars, filled with as many as 24 passengers, cautiously trekking up a hill of wooden tracks. The rattle of the ascent slowly grows louder. As the cars reach the coaster's 85-foot peak, there's a short pause — followed by a swift 60 mph plunge to the bottom that has made stomachs churn and eyes water since Calvin Coolidge was in the White House.

Such a timeworn ride requires a great deal of attention to ensure the safety of its passengers, say workers responsible for the Cyclone, the 85-year-old New York City landmark and international amusement icon that will be feted Saturday with a birthday party including 25-cent rides — the same price they were on its debut on June 26, 1927.

"It takes a lot of work to run a very old roller coaster," said Valerio Ferrari, president of Central Amusement International, which operates the coaster.

Each morning beginning at 7, maintenance workers hike the coaster's tracks along the walk boards in search of damaged wood and loose bolts. The cars, which are originals from 1927, are dismantled every winter before they undergo nondestructive testing and are reassembled.

The Cyclone may not be the oldest or tallest coaster in the nation. But it became a worldwide symbol of America's emerging leisure class in the early 20th century.

Towering above Coney Island's boisterous boardwalk at the corner of Surf Avenue and West 10th Street in Brooklyn, the Cyclone went up after brothers Jack and Irving Rosenthal invested $175,000 to build a dynamic new coaster that would satisfy the demand for more attractions in the area.

The result was a ride that included 2,640 feet of track, 12 drops and 27 elevation changes. For a minute and 50 seconds, passengers aboard the Cyclone were jerked from one edge of their seat to the other, as the coaster would slow around the bends before heaving its riders down steep dips.

This was all done by design, said Jennifer Tortorici, the Cyclone's operations manager.

"It's 2,640 feet of track, so if it wasn't slow in certain areas, the cars would wind up on the beach somewhere," she said.

Still, the turbulence is sometimes so forceful that passengers have seen personal belongings fly out of their pockets. Lost items range from the typical — keys, wallets and cellphones — to the more obscure, like dentures, wigs and underwear, Tortorici said.

Safety issues have at times dogged the Cyclone. A worker died on the ride in 1985, Tortorici said, and in 2008, the family of a California man who died after fracturing his neck on the ride sued the city for failing to keep the coaster safe. A Law Department spokeswoman said the city has been indemnified and the case is pending.

The city's Buildings Department conducts safety inspections up to three times a season, according to spokeswoman Ryan FitzGibbon.

Beyond its age, what distinguishes the Cyclone from contemporary steel coasters is that it's made of wood, from the cars to the tracks they ride on, though it rests on a steel base. Ferrari said this construction makes for a ride that has "a lot of energy."

"Wood has that feeling, that vibration. It's more alive," he said.

He added: "Going for one ride on this coaster is like going through, someone said, a car accident."

The sentiment has been shared throughout the years. The coaster's employees have no qualms about perpetuating a legend that in 1948, Emilio Franco, a West Virginia coal miner who had been mute since birth, spoke his first words — "I feel sick" — after plummeting down the Cyclone's precipitous 60-degree drop.

Even Charles Lindbergh, the American aviator who became the first person to fly a nonstop solo flight across the Atlantic Ocean, said several years after it opened that riding the Cyclone was "greater than flying an airplane at top speed," according to The New York Times.

These days, the Cyclone's paint has chipped, and the steel beams have rusted a bit. But patrons still enjoy the same rush.

"You can describe it in just one word: intense," said Laurie Rosen, of Burke, Va., who rode it Tuesday.

The Cyclone, also known as the Big Momma of Coney Island, carries about 250,000 riders every season from April through October.

By 1988, the city declared the coaster an official landmark, and it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.

According to the Parks Department, the Gravesend Historical Society's president wrote in a letter requesting the landmark status: "Unlike the Dodgers, the Cyclone will never leave Brooklyn."

___

If You Go...

CYCLONE: The wooden roller coaster is located at Surf Avenue and West 10th Street in Coney Island, Brooklyn. Take the F or Q train to the West 8th Street-New York Aquarium stop. Rides, $8. (Rides 25 cents for June 30 celebration of the coaster's 85th birthday.) Parking in the New York Aquarium lot, $13.

• 4 weeks later...

So I got in a few rides on Cyclone last night, and it was playing nice for me this time! Front, back and near-back were all much better than last year. Sure, it's rough, but there was only one extreme thigh jolt in the back this time (and some lesser ones), and overall I just didn't suffer as much. It didn't feel sluggish anymore, either, but maybe that was just the nighttime effect.

• 1 month later...

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/35/37/bn_wonderwheel_2012_09_14_bk.html

There isn’t enough room in Coney Island for two big wheels, the owners of the landmarked Deno’s Wonder Wheel said this week as they lashed out against some thrill seekers’ plans to bring a new 600-foot observation disk to the People’s Playground.

Both Borough President Markowitz and Dick Zigun, the unofficial mayor of Coney Island say the observation wheel currently planned for Staten Island would be a fine addition to the amusement area, but operators of the 150-feet Wonder Wheel say the 92-year-old ride featured in the movie “The Warriors,” is and always should be a Coney Island original.

“Modern amusement parks may have several roller coasters, but there’s room for one wheel,” a ride spokeswoman said. “Why would anyone want to build another?”

Staten Island’s proposed wheel would rival the London Eye and become the tallest observation ride in the world if the city decides to cash in on the Rock’s view of the Manhattan skyline and go ahead with its construction.

But Coney Island boosters argued that the move that would steal the People’s Playground’s spotlight and pit the outer boroughs in a wheel war.

“The city needs to stay focused on rebuilding Coney into a first-class major tourist destination,” said Zigun. “It shouldn’t encourage competition with Coney within the five boroughs.”

But if such a competition took place, Brooklyn would cream Staten Island, crowed the borough’s biggest booster.

“The city should consider what location will provide the biggest bang for the buck, and the strongest economic return, and no doubt that place is Coney Island,” Borough President Markowitz said.

Zigun added that if the observation wheel was put in Coney Island, it would stand a respectful distance away from the Wonder Wheel to avoid a revolving rivalry that would challenge the historic rides uninterrupted reign.

Yet there may not be any competition at all: Observation wheels are quite different than traditional Ferris wheels.

Instead of sitting in swaying, open-air carriages, observation wheel riders sit in fixed, bus-sized capsules that can carry more than 20 people, according to manufacturer.

New York already has the Empire State Building, Top Of The Rock, Statue of Liberty, and when finished, the Freedom Tower. Why they would need to spend millions of dollars to put an observation wheel in Staten Island is beyond me.

New York already has the Empire State Building, Top Of The Rock, Statue of Liberty, and when finished, the Freedom Tower. Why they would need to spend millions of dollars to put an observation wheel in Staten Island is beyond me.

Because millions of visitors take the Staten Island Ferry each year, only to turn right back around because there is nothing of interest within waking distance on Staten Island. Also, none of the attractions you mention give tourists a view of lower Manhattan and Statue of Liberty from that point of view.

http://www.lvtsg.com/imho/2012/09/nycedc-seeks-developer-for-new-amusements-in-coney-island/

NYCEDC today announced the release of an RFP seeking the development and operation of amusement rides, game booths or other entertainment attractions at a vacant site located along W15th Street, between the boardwalk and Surf Avenue, in Coney Island. The site, which is approximately 45 feet wide by 860 feet long, is located in the heart of Coney Island’s amusement core and sits directly between the newly expanded Scream Zone and the under construction Steeplechase Plaza. NYCEDC anticipates leasing the site for a term of 10 years, although proposals may suggest other terms.

“The activation of the West 15th Street site will further expand the amusement core, and build on the ongoing revitalization taking place in Coney Island,” said New York City Economic Development Corporation President Seth W. Pinsky. “Located directly between the new Scream Zone and the future Steeplechase Plaza, this site will provide another destination for the record number of visitors we have seen coming back to Coney Island each season in recent years.”

“As former home to the famed Thunderbolt roller coaster, the West 15th Street site has had its ‘ups and downs’ over its storied history, but its redevelopment will mean even more places to see and more things to do at Coney Island—‘America’s Favorite Playground’ and the amusement destination that started it all,” said Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz. “I challenge the respondents to this RFP to think ‘Coney character’ and ‘Brooklyn big’ and bring unforgettable, affordable fun to visitors of all ages and income as we lead Coney Island into its bright future.”

“The launch of this site will further propel Coney Island as New York’s premiere tourist destination,” said Councilman to Coney Island and Finance Chair Domenic M. Recchia, Jr. “The West 15th site is located right in the heart of one of the greatest redevelopments this City has experienced and I am looking forward to seeing another wonderful project established there.”

The activation of the W15th Street site would further expand the Coney Island’s amusement core, which has seen a major revitalization over the past three years with the opening of Scream Zone and Luna Park. The opening of these parks have helped draw record crowds back to Coney Island and were a key piece of the area-wide revitalization laid out in the City’s 2009 rezoning plan.

To obtain a copy of the RFP, please visit: www.nycedc.com/rfp. Responses are due no later than October 23, 2012.

Scream Zone opened in 2011 with four cutting-edge thrill rides, and expanded this year with the addition of a go-cart track and the Boardwalk Flight. Luna Park opened in 2010 and features 19 traditional and state-of-the-art rides.

Last summer, 2011, was one of the most successful summer seasons on record for Coney Island, with over 640,000 visitors taking over 2 million rides at Luna Park and Scream Zone combined.

In 2009, the City purchased three parcels of land, totaling 6.9 acres, within the amusement district, and signed a 10-year lease with Central Amusements International to operate and build the new amusement parks on the property. The City has invested more than $6.6 million to support the opening of Luna Park and Scream Zone. In addition, CAI has invested nearly $30 million toward the construction of the two parks.

Over the past year the City has also seen significant progress on a number of key components of the Coney Island Revitalization Plan, including groundbreakings for Steeplechase Plaza, and for Coney Island Commons. Steeplechase Plaza, a 2.2-acre public open space, will serve as the western entryway to the revitalized amusement district and will be home to the restored B&B Carousell, Coney Island’s last remaining historic carousel. Coney Island Commons will include 195 units of affordable housing and a new state-of-the-art 40,000 square foot YMCA.

The City’s Coney Island Revitalization Plan will preserve and grow the historic amusement area; create a vibrant mixed-use neighborhood with new retail options and nearly 5,000 new units of housing, including 900 income-targeted units; and generate more than 25,000 construction jobs and 6,000 permanent jobs. As part of the plan, the City is investing more than $150 million toward infrastructure improvements in Coney Island, including upgrading infrastructure and rebuilding large sections of the Boardwalk. Last year, New York City Economic Development Corporation in collaboration with the Department of Environmental Protection, completed an Amended Drainage Plan to guide upgrades to subsurface infrastructure throughout the entire rezoning area, the first phase of which will break ground by the end of the year. In total, the plan is expected to generate more than $14 billion in economic activity for New York City over 30 years.

Interesting news out of Brooklyn. RFPs are being accepted for amusements/rides on the former site of the Thunderbolt. I would love to see a GCI on that plot.

Edited by jedimaster1227

• 4 weeks later...

Do they really think a Huge Whel on Staten Island would kill business at Coney Island? I don't think the wheel will ever get built in the first place and even if it does, won't hurt Coney Island.

Nice to see them trying to expand at Coney Island. Wouldn't a GCI take away from Cyclone?

I can't quite figure out why Brooklynites are getting so uptight about the wheel. You wouldn't be able to see the Manhattan skyline as clearly from Coney Island.

Joey - totally agree that the RFP is tailored to Zamperla, but damn it, I want a GCI.

^^I don't see how that could hurt. Considering the turnaround not only in attendance but in the quality of the offerings at Coney Island, I think Zamperla's influence has certainly helped to revitalize the entire area. I'm honestly disappointed that they weren't chosen for the Rye Playland project, because if their work at Coney Island is any indication of their understanding of this kind of market, then Rye just missed out on a major opportunity.

Plus, the fact that they are tapping Great Coaster International to refurbish the Cyclone is another sign of their wisdom. Leave the woodwork to the pros and manage well...

• 2 weeks later...

I really love what has happened to Coney Island as of these past few years. It was much needed, and though Luna Park is super modern, the change just made sense. What makes it all so neat is that Deno's is right next door. I really don't know what it is. But the old time 'charm' of that place gets me. I really really wish they would do something with the parachute tower, though I have no real idea of its present condition/history. Wonder what the big lot where Thunderbolt used to be located will be used for.

In general, I really want Luna to expand, but at the same time, the sheer charm and character that Deno's and the other independent operators possess makes me hesitant to let Zamperla wipe them out. I wish I would've done the Dance dance Dodgems and the Breakdance while I was there on New Hotness. They might not be there when I go back. This is more or less me just stating everything about Coney Island that has been crossing my mind so I'm sorry for its scattered nature!

• 3 weeks later...

I was helping with the Coney Island area clean-up and took a few pictures of the Steeplechase Plaze the future home of restored B&B Carousell.

IMG_20121111_162242.jpg.53ae83ddd90e46a824ef761e339b3fa5.jpg

IMG_20121111_162330.jpg.ea130ae4842991718ccfe3cc9f6e3b34.jpg

The Coney Island Boardwalk is already on the road to recovery from Hurricane Sandy. Two popular establishments have already re-opened on the boardwalk (Ruby's Bar and Grill along with Paul's Daughter). Luna Park and Scream Zone are free of storm debris with no ride damage (The Cyclone had a test run on Friday).

One to two feet of sand was blown on to the boardwalk during the storm, but all of the sand was removed from the boardwalk behind Scream Zone, LunaPark and the Aquarium on Sunday.

IMG_20121111_131207.jpg.178dd86ed9a3fa708941129af2b439d8.jpg

Volunteers clearing the boardwalk

But not all is perfect. Many of the businesses suffered more damage and are in a state of repair.

IMG_20121111_163045.jpg.8815442a26af3c0c1aa75b761f997945.jpg

Nathan's (which is normally open 24 hours a day) has been closed since the storm.

IMG_20121111_163242.jpg.eb709d77d85d31cdaebf5a234a52687e.jpg

Here is the state of El Dorado Bumper Cars. I don't see sand on the groundso my impression is that the cars on their side are only under repair and not put in that state by storm surge.

IMG_20121111_162533.jpg.e8a733a8a3eb710797c9cb784a7d4649.jpg

Yes, some of the streets are still full of sand from the storm. Can you see how far the sand is up the parking meters?

IMG_20121111_163341.jpg.0f13850193099d1afacdbe020713d024.jpg

The Freakshow (along with the Coney Island Museum) seem to be airing out some of their wares.

IMG_20121111_164251.jpg.6b1b73c0b25673fdb45a0596cad730a4.jpg

The local McDonalds (two blocks from the ocean) has not returned to operation since the storm.

Edited by larrygator

I really really wish they would do something with the parachute tower, though I have no real idea of its present condition/history.

JC walked up to it (during the trip) and noticed that there were construction permits plastered over the whole thing when we went. Here's hoping.

Was the Cyclone damaged in any way? It would have made national headlines if anything serious happened to it like HURRICANE SANDY DESTROYS LEGENDARY CYCLONE ROLLER COASTER or CONEY ISLAND CYCLONE 1927-2012.

I love the Cyclone, its rougher and more painful than any Vekoma or Arrow I have ever ridden but yet I love it. Mainly because of the out-of-control feeling you get on a wood coaster that no steel coaster can ever replicate. I think the only thing worse than the Cyclone is Mean Streak in the backseat. with Mean Streak the drop started out ok, but once you made it to the bottom the back of the train just whacks your spine like it's nobody's business.

Was the Cyclone damaged in any way?

Nothing to speak of that would have stopped them from running 10 days after the storm.

I really really wish they would do something with the parachute tower, though I have no real idea of its present condition/history.

JC walked up to it (during the trip) and noticed that there were construction permits plastered over the whole thing when we went. Here's hoping.

Not happening!

Edited by larrygator

http://amusingthezillion.com/2012/11/14/wanna-megawhirl-new-ride-to-be-demoed-if-not-moved/

The MegaWhirl, a prototype that came all the way from a Texas ride factory to debut in Coney Island, will be scrapped if a new home is not found for it soon. MegaWhirl inventor Jonathan Gordon of Gordon Rides contacted ATZ with the sad news: “Just thought you should know, I’ve been working on trying to relocate the MegaWhirl, but the damage from the storm surge has made it almost impossible. If I can’t find anyone to take the ride by the end of next week, the MegaWhirl will be demolished as per the demands of Thor Equities.” For Gordon, who signed his email, “(former) CEO/Lead Designer, GordonRides LLC,” Hurricane Sandy capped off a Coney Island season that had already been a financial disaster and bankrupted his business.

^ I remember seeing that thing on New Hotness and wanting to ride it so bad. That is a real shame.

On a separate note, I remember walking past an independent vendor at Coney Island with a Himalaya called Polar Express and a misc. Dark Ride that I forget the name of. My question is: what is special about the Himalaya aside from it being in poor condition? They wanted 10 bucks for it as compared to the Haunted House at 6. I really wouldn't mind heading back there with a pocketful of money, just to blow it on some of those independent rides (like the Bump Bump Your Ass off, etc, etc.).

^ I remember seeing that thing on New Hotness and wanting to ride it so bad. That is a real shame.

On a separate note, I remember walking past an independent vendor at Coney Island with a Himalaya called Polar Express and a misc. Dark Ride that I forget the name of. My question is: what is special about the Himalaya aside from it being in poor condition? They wanted 10 bucks for it as compared to the Haunted House at 6. I really wouldn't mind heading back there with a pocketful of money, just to blow it on some of those independent rides (like the Bump Bump Your A$$ off, etc, etc.).

I never rode that Himalaya, but I think they run it for an extremely long cycle. I didn't realize it was $10. I'm sure you could negotiate the price down, especially if you were with a group.

At least the article threw in that last part which confirms that his ride/business was already screwed before the hurricane.

I hate when people blame something that's not really the cause of the issue.

http://amusingthezillion.com/2012/11/14/wanna-megawhirl-new-ride-to-be-demoed-if-not-moved/

The MegaWhirl, a prototype that came all the way from a Texas ride factory to debut in Coney Island, will be scrapped if a new home is not found for it soon. MegaWhirl inventor Jonathan Gordon of Gordon Rides contacted ATZ with the sad news: “Just thought you should know, I’ve been working on trying to relocate the MegaWhirl, but the damage from the storm surge has made it almost impossible. If I can’t find anyone to take the ride by the end of next week, the MegaWhirl will be demolished as per the demands of Thor Equities.” For Gordon, who signed his email, “(former) CEO/Lead Designer, GordonRides LLC,” Hurricane Sandy capped off a Coney Island season that had already been a financial disaster and bankrupted his business.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is some good news! I posted the link and the actual article minus the pictures here. I'm glad they understand the importance of preserving this ride. Hopefully they don't make the ride any shorter. In other news, the independently operated Dark Ride attached to the Himalaya I mentioned a bit ago isn't so lucky. It's damages are pretty high.

http://amusingthezillion.com/2012/11/21/coney-island-post-sandy-flooded-spook-a-rama-to-get-new-stunts/

Coney Island Post-Sandy: Flooded Spook-A-Rama to Get New Stunts

Coney Island’s oldest dark ride, which dates back to the 1950s and is part of Deno’s Wonder Wheel Park, was severely damaged due to flooding from Coney Island Creek and the Bay during Superstorm Sandy. Spook-A-Rama’s electrical, interior props and the floor inside the ride were destroyed but park owners Dennis and Steve Vourderis have vowed to rebuild the attraction. At last week’s IAAPA Attractions Expo in Orlando, they contracted with Scarefactory, Inc. to come in and lay out new props, according to Dennis Vourderis. The giant skeleton on Spook-A-Rama’s roof is a product of the design and fabrication studio, which specializes in creating haunted attractions and everything that goes into them.

Sadly, some of the destroyed props original to Spook-A-Rama and other historic Coney Island dark rides cannot be replaced. The good news is that the legendary Cyclops, which came out of retirement two years ago to be inducted into the Coney Island History Project’s Hall of Fame, was unharmed. Another old-timer at the Wonder Wheel, the 1930′s fortunetelling machine Grandma’s Predictions, suffered water damage, but is being restored by an expert in antique arcade machines. Grandma’s “boyfriend” Zoltar was not so lucky –the popular machine which debuted at the park in 2011 will be replaced by a brand-new one.

Also destroyed in the flood waters and being replaced is the Scarface-themed shooting gallery next to Spook-A-Rama. The new shooting gallery will be themed with some of the same spooky characters that visitors will see inside the refurbished dark ride. While the Wonder Wheel side of the park and the area beneath the kiddie park were inundated with 5 to 7 feet of flood waters, the 92-year-old landmark Wonder Wheel and the rides and games in Deno’s Kiddie Park on the Boardwalk escaped serious damage though a lot of work remains to be done. The park will re-open with its 25th Annual Blessing of the Rides Ceremony on Palm Sunday, which is Coney Island’s opening day and falls on March 24, 2013.

The concept looked cool, a Whip ride that could fit in any space. It's a shame that it was mediocre, I would have liked to at least try it.

The ride was built as a collaboration with Larson, right? Maybe they'll buy the design documents and stuff from Gordon and try to make the ride better?