TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

A lot of hard work paid off tonight with 'Celebrate the Magic' as the crowd seemed to really love the show. The new projectors are definitely welcomed as the images were much more clear and crisp than before. Overall I like this better than MM&Y, although there isn't Walt saying "waffle" at the end of this one so thats a bummer

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/11/what-exactly-is-this-gary-discovers-a-dragon-he-thinks/

If you’ve read the Disney Parks Blog in the past, you might have run across some of my posts, photos and videos that show some of my interests. I love Disney Parks (of course); I’m curious and enjoy new experiences. But here’s something you probably didn’t know: I love dragons. Always have. When other kids on my block liked dinosaurs, I liked dragons. And what’s not to like? Some can fly, some breathe fire, some protect castles and some attack them. Some are good, some are evil. But they are all magical. For me, Disney and dragons share that quality — they’re both chock-full of magic.

In this video, I take you into my home for a look at a discovery I recently made online. I found something that could be the greatest dragon I have ever seen. But I’m not sure. Maybe it’s an internet hoax, maybe it’s an albatross or condor. But maybe, just maybe, it’s a dragon.

I want to believe it’s a dragon. I will find out more, so stay tuned for updates.

And if you want to see exactly how much I love dragons, take a look at my dragon-centric Tumblr blog: disneydragons.tumblr.com. If you have your own dragon stories (or possible sightings!) to share on Twitter, use the hashtag #BelieveInFantasy. Because isn’t that what “magic” is all about — believing?

And here's a closer look at the video Gary shows of the purported dragon...

So they are clearly "teasing" this. For the uninitiated, this is the turbo-prop based airplane that Disney has been testing in California over the past few months... The harder question to answer is where does this fit into the Disney cannon? .. While the rumor mill has hinted at this being an Avatar dragon, smarty money says it will be an addition to Fantasmic that premiers in December.

FlyingDragon.jpg.5b09c588d7b48ed5d08d8a1e0ba24a64.jpg

Edited by Chroniq

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/11/walt-disney-imagineers-unveil-the-backstory-of-barnabas-t-bullion-prioprietor-and-president-of-big-thunder-mining-company/

Last week, we shared an image of a portrait that’s a part of a new project our Walt Disney Imagineers are currently working on – and today we’re happy to reveal the identity of that man and share details on the role he’ll play in the enhanced storyline of a certain Magic Kingdom Park attraction, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

por111512SMALL.jpg.b2cd673411c9cfabba28d2a4729c921e.jpg

The fellow’s name is Barnabas T. Bullion, and he’s the gold magnate who rules the Big Thunder Mining Company with a golden fist. Imagineers have already begun working overnight in the park on the attraction’s new interactive queue, where you’ll be able to see this portrait, as well as an additional landscape portrait of the mountain itself.

btm873463.jpg.fdf59a00ec56fb5d3132ff1d25fea0d7.jpg

According to the enhanced backstory: “Barnabas T. Bullion is the founder and president of the Big Thunder Mining Company. The longtime mining magnate comes from a powerful East Coast family and considers gold to be his very birthright by virtue of his oddly appropriate name; in fact, he considers the ultimate gold strike to be his destiny. And that is why he is having so much trouble with Big Thunder Mountain. According to superstitious locals, Big Thunder Mountain is very protective of the gold it holds within, and the unfortunate soul who attempts to mine its riches is destined to fail. And so far that prophecy is coming to pass. The mine has been plagued by mysterious forces and natural disasters ever since. And yet the Big Thunder Mining Co. is still in operation. In fact, Bullion is discovering new veins of gold and digging new shafts every day, offering a closer look at the Big Thunder mining operation than ever before. But a word to the wise for anyone attempting to visit the mountain: watch out for runaway trains.”

Look for these new additions and a number of additional interactive elements in the coming months at Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, the wildest ride in the wilderness!

I wonder if adding this back story at this point in time has anything to do with the upcoming tv show? Whether the show succeeds or flops it would make sense to go ahead and incorporate some aspects of the story line as soon as possible.

Yeah, the storylines at Disney have always kind of been kind hit or miss for me, some are great and some are just unnecessary, but sometimes I think that Disney goes out of heir way to create these elaborate stories (and spend a lot of money doing so) where they just aren't needed. I know it's kind of what separates Disney from Six Flags and others, but sometimes can't a ride just be a ride? Does Space Mountain need a story, and a movie, and a theme song, or can it just be a cool roller coaster in outer space? That story works for me.

I liked Disney's new interactive queue for the Haunted Mansion, so why not Big Thunder? Anything that gives people something to do while they're waiting in line (other than carving their initials on the hand rails) is OK by me.

Why couldn't they have done this before there was Fast Pass! It would have made the lines so much more tolerable pre-fast pass, but I'm so glad they are doing it. It's nothing amazing, but it is definitely a huge improvement over the standard line.

Disney has officially revealed PhotoPass+, the premium version of its existing PhotoPass offerings at the Walt Disney World Resort and the Disneyland Resort.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151135190153325

Interested in Disney PhotoPass+? Watch this video to learn more.

You can now order Disney PhotoPass+ before your vacation and save over $50.

For Walt Disney World Resort visit: http://www.disneyphotopass.com/wdwplus

For Disneyland Resort visit: http://www.disneyphotopass.com/dlrplus

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=Photopass_plus_khjb[/coastertube]

Ok, I just watched the video. Can someone explain what the 'plus' is? To me this doesn't seem any different from the PhotoPass system they already had?

For example we went like two years ago, bought the package ahead of time, you get a card and give it to all of the places and it's all included. I don't see anything different other than they put the card on a lanyard?!

I was assuming this would be some sort of RFID roll out and you wouldn't have to hand the card over any more to be scanned.