Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park Discussion Thread

P. 126 - Trespasser dies at park
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Re: Mt Olympus announces: HADES 360

Postby ViperLover » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:22 pm

^I meant steel rails.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: HADES 360

Postby halfabee » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:54 pm

JonnyRCT3 wrote:Mr Freeze is considered 1 inversion, well atleast by me. And Mr. Freeze is banked at 120°.

After a bit of digging, I finally found my notes. Freeze was designed with a maximum bank angle of slightly more than 130° at the apex of that overbanked turn. Most of the turn is banked less severely, of course. As is the case with all of these maneuvers, it's only the maximum instantaneous bank angle that ever gets noted.

This certainly wasn't the first time that a ride's advertised stats were a poor fit to its actual stats, but this case is a bit unusual because generally the numbers tend to get inflated rather than deflated...

Interestingly - and I had completely forgotten about this - many people were calling that overbanked turn a "wingover" in the late 1990s. "Wingover" has a different generally accepted definition now.

You there! Fetch me an onion for my belt!

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:18 pm

They should probably get the Timberliners working on Voyage first...

This is certainly going to be an interesting conversion. I love Gravity Group rides, but they are really CCI 2.0: Deliver great rides on a budget, however they require a ton of TLC to say a top notch ride.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby goatdan » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:56 pm

GayCoasterGuy wrote:The bigger issue at Mt. Olympus is the operation of the rides/park. I hate to say the worst I've ever experienced, but it probably is.

I've never been on Hades, as I haven't been to the park since I was there in about 2003 and they managed to...

...dispatch a train halfway out of the station before realizing that no one ever got near it to check the harnesses (we had literally just sat down).

- and -

...tell us to check our own harnesses and give them a thumbs up when we were ready for the ride to go.

I've only ever had one other issue half as glaring at another park, and these both happened in the same day. I've been to the Dells since then, and I've rode other things there, but never even thought about going back. This sounds interesting, but what I've heard about the operations... I still think I won't be heading back any time soon.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Taylor Finn » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:28 pm

It is sort of a shame. A family run park on the bigger side. If they spent some money to maintain their coasters, and had good operations, I'd be stoked to go there. I love how loosely the Greek Theme is played, too. It seems like they just don't care.

The additions to Hades could be nice. A retracking would be great, but if they aren't going to maintain it, then who even cares?

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby kidcoaster 2 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:37 pm

I'm assuming this will go where the turn around is in the parking lot?

A village is missing its IDIOT!

Postby australianalex » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:36 am

It'll certainly be quite a sight when you drive in, that's for sure!

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Gnome » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:12 am

kidcoaster 2 wrote:I'm assuming this will go where the turn around is in the parking lot?

That sucks. That hill looked to be quite full of the air time.
Don't worry, it's an emergency! I'm Chuck Norris

Come one. Come all. Ride the roller coaster in my pants.

Postby SFOGdude25 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:32 am

^Hmm... I seem to have drawn the opposite conclusion. That hill looked really slow to me, and considering the fact that the train didn't even make it over the hill on one occasion, I say this is a welcome change. They're taking what was once the only dud and adding a crazy element to an already insane ride. The new and improved Hades will be straight-up chaos literally from start to finish.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Re: HADES 360

Postby JonnyRCT3 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:28 am

halfabee wrote:
JonnyRCT3 wrote:Mr Freeze is considered 1 inversion, well atleast by me. And Mr. Freeze is banked at 120°.

After a bit of digging, I finally found my notes. Freeze was designed with a maximum bank angle of slightly more than 130° at the apex of that overbanked turn. Most of the turn is banked less severely, of course. As is the case with all of these maneuvers, it's only the maximum instantaneous bank angle that ever gets noted.

This certainly wasn't the first time that a ride's advertised stats were a poor fit to its actual stats, but this case is a bit unusual because generally the numbers tend to get inflated rather than deflated...

Interestingly - and I had completely forgotten about this - many people were calling that overbanked turn a "wingover" in the late 1990s. "Wingover" has a different generally accepted definition now.

You there! Fetch me an onion for my belt!

Well, this is what I found.
www.ultimatecoaster.com/spring.asp?cid=746
www.guidetosfot.com/attractions/coasters/mrfreeze/
www.admiraldfw.com/specials/six-flags-package-2.php

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!