TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

http://www.universalstudioshollywood.com/attractions/terminator-2-3d/

Terminator 2®: 3D is closing and will celebrate its final performance on December 31st

http://blog.pe.com/theme-parks/2012/11/06/universal-studios-terminator-2-3d-will-close-dec-31/

Terminator 2: 3-D” is set in 2029, but it won’t make it to 2013 at Universal Studios Hollywood.

After months if not years of speculation, “T2” is closing at Universal Studios Hollywood. The final performance will be Dec. 31, according to Universal’s website.

The 12-minute feature debuted in 1996. It was directed by James Cameron and reunited Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton and Edward Furlong from the popular action films.

“T2″ occupies prime real estate in the park. It’s on the upper deck near the entrance and next to the park’s events center.

Rumors abound about what will replace. “T2″ Some say it will be Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem, a ride at Universal Studios Florida.

“T2″ is also at Orlando, but it apparently hasn’t been placed on a hit list.

T2_officer_robot_girls-961x421.jpg.30fe19c157f972d36941d51dbf238cf4.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

As far as theme park show go Terminator was pretty solid, but definitely starting to show its age. Great to see they're replacing it.

I'm hoping for a Blues Brothers dark ride. Sort of Country Bears meets Splash Mountain kind of thing.

^ I have never seen the english ones,

and I still loved what I saw and heard

at Universal Osaka.

The Hostess was very funny and....

...limber. She was great, even if I didn't

understand a word she said... at superspeed!

My last few visits, I really was tired of it. I was impressed the first few times I saw it, but it was getting old and I'm not upset to see it go.

Universal is really pushing large expansion in their parks right now. At first I felt like it was more focused on Florida, but now it seems like there is always something going on in Hollywood too. I love that the Orlando and SoCal Disney/Universal rivalries seem to be heating up. It's much more obvious in Florida (where is makes more sense) but I find it hard to argue that it's not happening in Southern California now, as well.

With the removal of Backdraft, T2 became the oldest attraction in the park. As cool and unique as it was, it will be nice to see something new in its place.

I think WaterWorld is the oldest. That opened in 1996. T2 opened 1999.

Actually, Waterworld opened in 94, JP opened in 96.

Isn't the Studio Tour the oldest attraction by default? It is what started the place after all.

As for Terminator, I'll miss it but as long as they put in a good replacement I'm fine with its removal. The show is enjoyable, but dated, and the movie series is no longer that popular. If the show is running until the end of the year, however, I doubt it's replacement will be ready for Summer 2013 even if it's just a carbon copy of Despicable Me from Florida.

Hasn't the animal actors show been there foreverrrrrr?

It also seems like it's been the exact same show since it opened! I know it changed with Animal Planet, but I honestly can't remember how the show was before that, it's been so long!

• 4 weeks later...

http://insideuniversal.net/2012/12/rumor-universal-to-acquire-golf-course/

Screamscape

The folks over at InsideUniversal have posted their own take on the rumored possible expansion and next decade of masterplanning for the Universal Studios Hollywood property. Give it a read and see what you think, as they make some very good points as to why this kind of expansion may not happen.

Of course the real problem is that even if they did buy the golf course, we have no solid idea of just what kind of plans they have for that property, which has long served as a nice buffer between the nearby neighborhoods and the studio backlot. But it sure if fun to think of all the possibilities.

Screamscape has been hearing some very early rumblings claiming that possible new and major changes may be on the way to set up the future development of Universal Studios Hollywood over the next decade and beyond, as supported by the new owners at Comcast. With Disneyland’s latest efforts really shining a focused beam of light on what can be achieved by a quality theme park resort experience in California, as well as what they’ve see taking place in Orlando, there may be early plans in the works to try and find a way to expand the Hollywood park in a way that it can stay competitive with the Disneyland Resort. After all, with Disney’s California Adventure now firing on all cylinders, and the rumors of Disney eventually building a third park in Anaheim looking more clear each year, Universal Studios Hollywood needs to find a way to remain competitive against the Mouse.

We’ve already see the Evolution plan completely turned on it’s head, with a renewed focus revising the existing property for the business interests of the Studio itself as well as the theme park side of things, abandoning the odd previous plans to sell off large tracts of land for residential use.

According to the early rumors, the next possible phase of development to create a Universal Resort experience in Hollywood may involve buying the massive private Lakeside Golf Club that lies right behind the studio backlot. The exact intentions of this purchase are not entirely clear, but the site could be used to allow for future expansion of the lower backlot area and studio production facilities. If the studio were to relocate some production elements to this property, it could also allow for the expansion of the theme park itself to extend more into the lower lot, allowing for not only more pedestrian access, but more attractions as well.

I don't care for golf, so I see this as a good move. It could create new space for the park if they tore down some of those old sound stages and sets, and then they would have the ability to create new sound stages that better suit the modern demands of film making. These sound stages aren't for 100% Universal productions, they rent them out. With ABC/Disney building a fancy all new facility in Santa Clarita, it's possible Universal would see a bit of their revenue go away with people choosing the ABC facility.

^ I don't think the golf course thingy will ever happen. Right now, the golf course is the only thing buffering Toluca Lake from Universal. If they did purchase that land and build there, the neighbors would revolt. They think the people living up on the hill complain? Those people chose to move there after they knew the studio already existed. Think about how irate you would be if a movie studio moved into your backyard.

they now have had to install sound walls to water world because the noise is NOW too much? after how many years?

It’s also no surprise that the theme park consistently battles sound levels from the park. Sound level limitations are the reason why Universal Studios Hollywood can’t have an outdoor roller coaster, use fireworks at night or have unlimited runs of the Terror Tram during Halloween Horror Nights. And just recently, WaterWorld now needs to employ the use of obtrusive sound walls in an effort to appease its surrounding neighbors, as seen below:

http://insideuniversal.net/2012/12/rumor-universal-to-acquire-golf-course/

Yeah....no.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the members of the country club (lakeside country club is an equity club) would not be very interested in selling. I also suspect the residents of Toluca Lake (including houses with their backyards practically on the course) would have something to say as well.

The only thing I could see ever potentially happening is moving sound stages to the golf course and freeing up land in the lower lot for the theme park. I say this because the sound stages are relatively quiet and wouldn't cause many issues to the neighbors next to the golf course. The issue would be the eye sore which might be able to be worked around if Universal for ways to disguise the buildings a-la Indiana Jones at Disneyland or something... But in the long run, yeah, I don't see it happening.

I guess we'll find out eventually, but I think if anything we'll see repositioning within the existing land owned to try and shoehorn in new attractions.

I'll go ahead and say never. DCA 2.0 cost $1B dollars. That wouldn't even cover the cost of purchasing the golf course and relocating the studio facilities. It's not feasible. It's just a ridiculous rumor that never goes away.

I'm going to guess that the webmaster for insideuniversal was the one who sent in the rumor to drive some extra clicks to his website.