TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lagoon Discussion Thread

It does seem like they keep pushing this project back, so I'm glad to hear some more news. Sounds pretty exciting!

Now I feel a lot better about always wanting to visit, but never quite knowing when it'll happen. I'll just hold off until 2014 now, provided that really is the year for this. I just hope they don't lose any decent rides between now and then.

They went with Zierer for the heavy-themed trains on BomBora, but not sure if they went to them for the electrical. I hope it's not Zierer, for Lagoon already has prototype seats from them that were flops. Even the on-board audio on BomBora doesn't work half the time.

Who knows? Maybe Lagoon will do the trains and electrical themselves as well.

^ I actually really like the cars for Wicked. I found them to be comfortable and very accessible for a wide variety of riders. They tracked well and I found the restraints to be very comfortable, even though they did kind of get tight at the bottom of the first drop. The cars on Bombora are equally, if not more, comfortable than the cars on Wicked. I have ridden Bombora many, many times during both its first and second seasons and never had a problem with the audio. So, I actually do hope that Lagoon goes with Zierer for the trains.

I see some people don't think 'small'' parks can add GIANT new rides. If that was the case why does Holiday Park build Expedition GeForce...

For the other part, i would love to go to Lagoon someday, since i really liked Kennywood and all. I get this feeling that in Lagoon things aren't much different on service ect. We will see what the future holds

When I said I doubted the frisbee rumor being true because it was too big, I was thinking more along the lines of physical space required. I just can't picture where it would physically fit. There is the north parking lot\field, but where would the cars park? Maybe a parking structure... That would be nice, lagoon could really gain some space there.

Lagoon IS a small park. The largest coaster there is Wicked which isn't that large. I would put Lagoon in the same category as Silverwood for size. I would really doubt there will be any investment larger than $15 million for a new addition at Lagoon.

I don't know any "Small" Park that is 140 Acres, has 9 Roller Coasters, and has spent over 65 Million Dollars on new rides since 1991. Kennywood would be a better comparison than Silverwood to Lagoon.

Lagoonisfun.com has been receiving information on this 2014 roller coaster since around 2010. Here is the info we have been able to put together....

2014 Lagoon Roller Coaster:

Will be designed by Lagoon's Vice President of Engineering, Dal Freeman.

Lagoon will contract out the Track and Upright Manufacturing to Intermountain Lift, Inc.

The ride will be just over 200ft Tall.

The ride will have at least 1 inversion.

We have also heard Lagoon will be installing one or two small family rides for 2013 before opening the new roller coaster in 2014. Since a "Frisbee" type ride has been on Lagoon's radar since 2004, I would imagine that's still an option after 2014.

- Sid

The same Dal Freeman who was at Arrow Dynamics during the Pipeline debacle????

I've actually wanted to go to this park for some reason. It seems like a neat, charming park. Definitely not the biggest, but you are wrong to call it small. Although I've only seen pictures, and Google Maps for a source, I don't think this park is small, or anywhere near small for the record. I could tell where you'd get the idea though, they typically stick to littler coasters. The biggest, being Wicked, is only around 100-120', correct? It wouldn't hurt the park to receive an Intamin above 200'.

I'm excited to see this project unfold and expand a bit more. I'm sure the park would treasure this coaster, saying it's their biggest (from what we know at least). But yeah, once construction starts cruising along, I'll be looking forward to some pics.

When I said I doubted the frisbee rumor being true because it was too big, I was thinking more along the lines of physical space required. I just can't picture where it would physically fit. There is the north parking lot\field, but where would the cars park? Maybe a parking structure... That would be nice, lagoon could really gain some space there.

On the busiest days, only one eighth of that space is used for parking. They can expand into that area quite a bit., they just never choose to most of the time. Last time they did was about 20 years ago I believe, which they have now gotten rid of that ride for this coaster.

On a side note, I don't think these pylons are going to be part of the coaster, but to compress the land before they build the coaster so they won't have any problems in the future with parts of it sinking so it needs to be retracked. Where it shows the sinking problem best is in Lagoon-A-Beach. The lazy river is only half filled, for half of it sank into the ground.

The same Dal Freeman who was at Arrow Dynamics during the Pipeline debacle????
Yes, that Dal Freeman. At least Magnum XL-200 and BomBora turned out fine.

On the busiest days, only one eighth of that space is used for parking. They can expand into that area quite a bit., they just never choose to most of the time. Last time they did was about 20 years ago I believe, which they have now gotten rid of that ride for this coaster.

On a side note, I don't think these pylons are going to be part of the coaster, but to compress the land before they build the coaster so they won't have any problems in the future with parts of it sinking so it needs to be retracked. Where it shows the sinking problem best is in Lagoon-A-Beach. The lazy river is only half filled, for half of it sank into the ground.

Lots C & D (Overflow) are used every Friday and Saturday during the season and sometimes Frightmares!. Intermountain Lift hasn't manufactured any components or Uprights for Lagoon yet. What you saw were piles for the piers of the footings. Lagoon-A-Beach hasn't sunk and Mooch's Mainstream has never been any deeper than it currently is.

- Sid

Lots C & D (Overflow) are used every Friday and Saturday during the season and sometimes Frightmares!. Intermountain Lift hasn't manufactured any components or Uprights for Lagoon yet. What you saw were piles for the piers of the footings. Lagoon-A-Beach hasn't sunk and Mooch's Mainstream has never been any deeper than it currently is.

- Sid

Not saying the Overflow is never used. Whenever I am visiting on busy days, they never have all of that parking used up from what I see.

It seemed to me that Mooch's Mainstream is barely full on the northern half, yet the other half is pretty full. It used to be completely full back then from what I remember. Why would they now have the water jets which help propel the water be above water lines on the north side, but be in the water on the south side? Just seems to me it would have sank on the south side, if anything.

In addition to the overflow parking area, there have been rumors that Lagoon also owns some land right across the freeway. The transit line runs right through this area and would serve as a great stop for the park. The transit system is also making progress towards adding an airport route, so Lagoon is about to be more accessible to much of the Wasatch Mountain Valley.

I agree with most of the posts on here. I would not categorize Lagoon as a small park by any means. It is gradually growing and adding an attraction every year. Lagoon also has a monopoly on the area within a 500 mile radius. This is a park to watch in the near future.

Exactly. This park is not a small park, and, even if you do still consider it to be a small park, that will probably change within the next few years. And, there may be some hope for a giant new attraction, considering they have no competition. I was actually a bit surprised the SLC area could support a park this large in the first place. Having no competition helps!

Although, I am more hoping for a large new attraction so this park would not continue to be overlooked than I would be for the attraction itself. What I mean by this is the fact that this park is probably one of the most overlooked in the U.S. It probably deserves the award for the "largest park no one has ever heard of." I actually know a quite a few full fledged enthusiasts who have been completely unaware this place even exists. I really hope they build an attraction large enough to make more news in the coaster world, although you would think more people would be aware of a park that has a tower launch coaster.

In addition to the overflow parking area, there have been rumors that Lagoon also owns some land right across the freeway. The transit line runs right through this area and would serve as a great stop for the park. The transit system is also making progress towards adding an airport route, so Lagoon is about to be more accessible to much of the Wasatch Mountain Valley.

You mean the Frontrunner which has been there for about two years now? It does serve as a great stop for Lagoon, although I don't see a need for for an airport route. People can just take a plane to the Salt Lake International Airport, ride the Trax system to the Salt Lake Central Hub (when that line is completed) and take Frontrunner line up to Lagoon. The public transportaion is very easy and convenient to use in Utah.

Plus, a new hotel is being constructed across the northern street of Lagoon. And across the freeway is a continuously growing shopping area. Don't know too much on what is being built other than shopping centers. I believe this, the hotel, and Lagoon getting bigger rides will help Lagoon and the city become a hot-spot for tourists.

Lagoon doesn't own any property near Farminton Station, but does own land surrounding the park. It would also be easier to transfer from the TRAX Green Line (Airport/West Valley) directly to Frontrunner North via the Transfer Station on the North Temple Bridge.

-Sid

That's what mwoods244 is talking about when he said "The transit system is also making progress towards adding an airport route".

Edit: It looks like there is a second large crane on site now.

Lagoon doesn't own any property near Farminton Station, but does own land surrounding the park. It would also be easier to transfer from the TRAX Green Line (Airport/West Valley) directly to Frontrunner North via the Transfer Station on the North Temple Bridge.

-Sid

I believe that was what I was referring to. I don't know exact route and stops. I just know about the routes themselves.

^Usually the park installs the ride regardless (well, they usually hire a company to do it). The manufacturer just makes the pieces and ships them to the park, and then has someone oversee the installation. It sounds like Lagoon might do everything except manufacture the physical components?

I really want to make it out to Lagoon. It's one of those parks that I have considered many times to take a long weekend from work and drive out to Utah to visit for a day. Sadly I have yet to do it, maybe an awesome new Hyper will finally convince me.

I have yet to get to Lagoon, but I hope I get there before they remove anything. I'm mainly concerned about the Anton coasters, as I'm a big nerd of his work.
Fire Dragon is going no where anytime soon and Lagoon will finish up it's repainting and new lighting package in time for it's 25th Anniversary next year. Jet Star 2 on the other hand might not be around in another 5 - 10 years with the extremes the park is doing to keep it running.

Wicked was designed by an employee but was built by Zierer

Will this be the same or will they lagoon engineers actually install the coaster too?

Dal Freeman, Lagoon's Vice President of Engineering designed Wicked, BomBora, and the 2014 Coaster. Lagoon will be contracting out the Uprights and Track to Intermountain Lift and probably the Trains to the same company that built the trains for BomBora. Zierer also contracted out the Upright and Track Fabrication to Rutin, the same firm used by Intamin.

^Usually the park installs the ride regardless (well, they usually hire a company to do it). The manufacturer just makes the pieces and ships them to the park, and then has someone oversee the installation. It sounds like Lagoon might do everything except manufacture the physical components?

I really want to make it out to Lagoon. It's one of those parks that I have considered many times to take a long weekend from work and drive out to Utah to visit for a day. Sadly I have yet to do it, maybe an awesome new Hyper will finally convince me.

With the TRAX Light Rail Green Line opening in April, next summer it would even be possible to Fly into Salt Lake International, hop on the Green Line, Transfer to Frontrunner North to Farmington Station, and Ride the Free Shuttle to Lagoon and back in a Day.