TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hong Kong Disneyland (HKDL) Discussion Thread

I got to ride it late at night (Sat) at the end of the TPR China Tour, and the lighting on it and around it all was very cool. It was dark enough in most spots just enough to be spooky, and all the lighting effects inside the caves and such worked even better, IMhO.

2051145289_ResizeofIMG_1216.JPG.11d1f748a0f3d57556026e47ba924374.JPG

Very nice lighting of Grizzly Gulch on my Sat.night (Sept.29) visit.

Dear California Adventure,

I really love this ride. That backwards lift system implemented into a full circuit coaster that can operate four trains simultaneously is truly genius. While the rock work isn't quite as "immense" or "encompassing" as the other Big Thunders, the more minimalistic rock work and micro detailing makes this ride just as, or even more impressive.

One thing I noticed that was a bit interesting was the fact that the track was accessible to maintenance at every point in the layout. There's a path next to the ride at all times...

I really love this ride. That backwards lift system implemented into a full circuit coaster that can operate four trains simultaneously is truly genius. While the rock work isn't quite as "immense" or "encompassing" as the other Big Thunders, the more minimalistic rock work and micro detailing makes this ride just as, or even more impressive.

It's those damn bear's fault. HKDL Imagineers couldn't be as dilligent with them around.

Edited by larrygator

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1078194/disney-mulls-new-hotels-and-tipped-make-first-profit

Disney is considering adding three hotels to Hong Kong Disneyland, which is set to turn a profit for the first time.

The company is understood to be discussing the plan at board meetings with the government, the largest shareholder in the seven-year-old amusement park.

A source familiar with Disney's operation said the amusement park made a profit of more than HK$100 million on revenue exceeding HK$800 million in the financial year from October 2011 to this September - the first since it opened in 2005.

Attendance was up more than 10 per cent thanks to record numbers of visitors during summer and Halloween celebrations.

Its two hotels - the 400-room Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel and the 600-room Disney's Hollywood Hotel - had occupancy rates of about 80 per cent on weekdays and more than 90 per cent at peak times.

The results have encouraged Disney, which will own 48 per cent of the park by 2013, to consider expanding. It has worked on plans to develop new attractions on the seven hectares of land remaining for the park's first phase of development.

Building new rides is seen as the most effective way to drive revenue, but hotels are also on the agenda in the face of high demand for accommodation.

"It is unlikely for the three hotels to be built simultaneously … it would take one to three years to build a hotel," the source said.

Depending on its quality, a hotel would cost HK$1 billion to HK$4 billion with the government as biggest shareholder paying its share. A Disney spokesman would not comment on the figures, saying the annual performance results would be announced early next year.

Rival Ocean Park is preparing to put two hotels - Ocean Hotel at the park's main entrance and Fisherman's Wharf Hotel at Tai Shue Wan - out to tender in the first quarter of next year after the initial tender lapsed a year ago.

Park chairman Allan Zeman said the hotels were expected to be completed in 2015.

"Hotels are an important part of the park's future. We are working with the government on the most viable terms," he said.

The lapsed tender was based on the build-operate-transfer model under which bidders would build and operate the hotels and share the profits with Ocean Park before surrendering ownership after 30 years.

This is really great news!

I think TPR Should take some credit for this big jump in revenue! We did stay there in September and buy lots of stuff!

Before any more hotels are added though, I'd like to see a smaller scale Downtown Disney built as most of the year the park closes early and you're kind of just stuck at your hotel with nothing to do or having to take a bus, to train, to train to get anywhere.

• 1 month later...

Just saw these updates at the disneyandmore blog regarding Mystic Manor.

Many of the construction walls have come down and you can better see the building.

530613255_mm41.thumb.jpg.9678d58db6485116a8449fdcc5c40977.jpg

from the disneyandmore blog

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2012/12/hkdl-mystic-manor-update.html

Remember this will not be a typical Disney "Haunted Mansion". The prevailing leaks imply.

Trackless ride system (like Tokyo Disney's Pooh's Hunny Hunt) versus omnimovers.

The manor is not haunted, but becomes enchanted through the hijinxs of Lord Mystic's pet monkey.

Effects used in Disney's Indiana Jones rides are expecting to re-appear in Mystic Manor.

The manor is a owned by Lord Henry Mystic, a member of the same secret society as Tokyo Disney Seas' Harrison Hightower III.

It's great that Disney is building unique attractions to make HKD stand out, rather than just another Haunted Mansion or Big Thunder. The park is a very nice Mini Magic Kingdom, but it needs more for guests to do.

It's great that Disney is building unique attractions to make HKD stand out, rather than just another Haunted Mansion or Big Thunder. The park is a very nice Mini Magic Kingdom, but it needs more for guests to do.

Totally agree on both counts. Being unique will bring more people in and there needs to be more to do there. I like Elissa's idea of a mini Downtown Disney.

^ Agreed, and I think the fact that Shanghai sounds like it will be so different is proof that they realized with HKDL they can't just keep building the same park with tweeked layouts. Granted some of the rides are really great and we can clone a few. But what about HKDL is going to make a tourist head there over Tokyo DL or Shanghai? I am speaking of course of long distance tourists that could fly to any of the selections rather than locals.

Great to see new things being tried at HKDL. Starting to make me want to go there more.

^ Agreed, and I think the fact that Shanghai sounds like it will be so different is proof that they realized with HKDL they can't just keep building the same park with tweeked layouts. Granted some of the rides are really great and we can clone a few. But what about HKDL is going to make a tourist head there over Tokyo DL or Shanghai? I am speaking of course of long distance tourists that could fly to any of the selections rather than locals.

Great to see new things being tried at HKDL. Starting to make me want to go there more.

I hear what you're saying but with 1 billion people in China who have trouble getting visas, HKDL can rely solely on southern China tourists. However differentiation will be more important when Shanghai opens.

Just to show how much the exclusivity matters to HKDL, go to their website all on the homepage on the Toy Story Playland slide right underneath the logo it says "Asia exclusive" and underneath the Grizzly Gulch logo it says "World exclusive". Clearly its important to management that they keep these things unique to Hong Kong.

That's just the marketing department pointing out the current exclusivity and uniqueness. Yes, it's important to HKDL, but if Disney decides another park needs the technology/idea it will be copied elsewhere.

Except that all the current expansions have exclusivity written into their contracts for a set number of years. Its not just marketing, its the entire perspective of management

That's just the marketing department pointing out the current exclusivity and uniqueness. Yes, it's important to HKDL, but if Disney decides another park needs the technology/idea it will be copied elsewhere.

Except that all the current expansions have exclusivity written into their contracts for a set number of years. Its not just marketing, its the entire perspective of management

Actually, what Larry said is 100% accurate, sorry. I don't buy that another Disney park couldn't get Grizzly Gulch if Disney wanted them to. That makes zero sense. I don't buy your information for one second.