TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Disney's Animal Kingdom Discussion Thread

Glad to see that the more exotic flavors of popcorn are starting to show up in the U.S. Disney parks--African spice and apricot sound pretty good.

Well I hope its selling well, popcorn can be the ultimate snack food, and IMO better than chips.

I like the set up for this event, it fits really well with the design of the park, because everything is so spread out, they kept the event spread out to everything. Thanks for the photos!

• 3 months later...
Random question - Who misses "Bird on a Stick?"

I have experienced the splendor of bird on a stick but once. I despair of ever seeing it again.

Edited by cfc

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/10/guests-are-seeing-stripes-at-disneys-animal-kingdom-zebras-out-on-new-kilimanjaro-safaris-savanna/

The Disney Parks Blog has been following our progress as a new animal habitat was added to the end of the Kilimanjaro Safaris as a home for a herd of plains zebras. I am pleased to share a photo from the zebras’ first day out (yesterday, October 23) taken by Disney photographer Gene Duncan.

gss809174LARGE.jpg.ca661d1de71d012b18d4fe1283f9ea5f.jpg

Guests are having lots of fun snapping their own photos of the zebras, which in the wild live in eastern and southern Africa. And our animal care team is continuing to keep a close eye on the various members of the herd as they acclimate to their new habitat. The team reports that they are doing great.

It seems like when ever I go on the Safari the animals are never anywhere close to the vehicle making photos hard to get.

Try to go on one of the last safaris of the day before they close at sunset. The animals are more active since it is cooler, and they tend to make more photo stops since the lines are shorter.

^ That is seriously all it was...

And from what I understand, he's still there, just doesn't work...and his mechanics to make him work are actually located on the backside of the building..... WAAAAAY in the air...which requires cranes, special equipment to be brought in, maintenance staff paid at "high time", etc, to get working again...and possibly ride downtime.

Needless to say, it hasn't gotten fixed! lol

It seems like I remember when I was working at Everest that there was a button in the control both on the bank of switches that turned the lighting and effects on and off that was actually labeled "Bird on a Stick" haha.

I also miss the Bird on a Stick.

^^ Well I'll be damned. I think those are my shots of BOAS. To have caught a rare image of that creature makes me feel like Abraham Zapruder or something. Yay me.

Let's be honest though, they definitely rigged that thing to become a "cult classic." Twenty years from now, Adam will be taking 300 pictures of BOAS merchandise at a Disneyana Convention somewhere.

Edited by BeemerBoy

^Yes! And some slow motion video if it's out there. Haha.

I now feel almost more disappointed that I won't get to see the BOAS than the yeti not working, now that I am aware of the BOAS existing. Still looking forward to my first WDW visit next month though.

• 2 months later...

Now for a post from the nerdy end of the theme park spectrum... This is either an image of where Avatar will be built, or confirmation that Avatar Land will be built where Festival of the Lion King once stood... Or something else entirely different? .. Thoughts?

Image4.thumb.jpg.e95adbaa35cb5274fe751cdfb7c2f375.jpg

Related to BOAS, I remember back when Expedition Everest first was coming out, there was an online scavenger hunt game themed to the village of Adandapur and one of the prizes you could unlock was a teaser video for the ride. In the video I remember seeing brief glimpses of an AA snow leopard but I've never seen it in the ride. Did the snow leopard ever appear, is it still there, or was it taken out? Or is my memory just on the fritz....