Universal Hollywood's Halloween Horror Nights (HHN) - 2012

P. 37 - Huge photo update from HHN 2012
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
This button makes my penis erect.

Re: Universal Hollywood's Halloween Horror Nights (HHN) - 20

Postby DJeXeL » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:42 pm

^^I strongly suggest the "front of the line" pass as tonight is sold out.
- Insane In The Lift Chain -

"You shut your mouth when you talk to me"

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:54 pm

^Front of the line passes and the VIP tour are both already sold out tonight according to the website. As are online sales. Which means get there early if you don't have a ticket, since I doubt there will be too many available at the ticket booths!

This button makes my penis erect.

Postby DJeXeL » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:05 pm

Well there goes that option as well.
- Insane In The Lift Chain -

"You shut your mouth when you talk to me"

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby Reuschini » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:48 am

Got in the park right at 7, showed up a little too late to get in the side entrance. Even though it was busy which we knew it would be going in, everything was great. Group thought it was the best Haunt event they had ever been to. Definitely better than Knott's. We got scared TONS by monsters in the mazes and in the streets. VERY VERY FUN!

Suggested plan of attack if you get there at 7pm: Do the 3 mazes on the upper lot (and skip the Techno one), head down to the lower lot, do the mazes down there. Hit up the rides on the lower lot. Come back up to the upper lot and do the techno one (the line never got over 30 minutes for it the entire night) then spend time sitting in lines the rest of the night on rides or going on mazes again.

Waited in a 100 minute line for a maze, and while it moves, it really kinda kills the mood.

Super packed but Universal is great with crowd control. Next year it looks like we're gonna cough up the cash and do the VIP experience, as waiting in such long lines wears on you. I would recommend this event to anyone looking to get in the Halloween mood! And go on Transformers! Amazing ride!

Postby Jew » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:22 am

^I disagree. I would definitely do the lower lot first even if you arrive at 7pm.

My suggestion: GET THERE EARLY! The early entry for the lower lot runs from about 5:15-6:00, and that will save you a TON of time. You can have both mazes and any ride you want done by 7pm when the park officially opens. Then head straight for Walking Dead. Then do La Llorona & Alice Cooper. Then see Bill & Teds. Then Terror Tram (closes @ 11:45 on Fri/Sat). Then finish with Monsters Remix. You can be done with everything by midnight on Fri/Sat.

The caveat is that on Thursday and Sunday the Terror Tram closes at 9:30. So you REALLY need to get there early and do that first if you are planning on going one of those days. The early entry also works for Terror Tram, so you can do Terror Tram and then the lower lot on those days.

Also, if you ware thinking about going...buy your tickets online ASAP. Chances are all the remaining nights will sell out.

KidTums' personal piano player

Postby wrs28330 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:06 pm

Theme Park Review was once again invited by Universal Studios Hollywood to attend what is arguably the most popular Halloween event in Southern California. Overall, I found the event to be just as enjoyable as in past years. My brother Frank and I attended the event on Thursday the 18th, and were surprised to see that the event was sold out the night before. As this event continues to grow in popularity, it seems that more nights are selling out. When we arrived at the parking lot at 6:30 there were signs informing people that the event was sold out and no tickets were available for purchase. We saw several cars turn around and drive away surprised that it sold out. Better than finding out when you get to the gate!

It is highly recommended that you arrive to the event as early as you can to allow time to park, get through security and get into the park. (See Joey’s earlier post about an earlier entry time at the Lower Lot.) We were pleasantly surprised by the ease of the security check and entry process this year! We picked up our tickets and Gate A passes at Will Call and entered the park right at 7pm. We HIGHLY RECOMMEND that anyone going to the event purchase a Gate A pass! It makes me sad to say, but the reality is that it’s almost impossible to see all the event offerings if you don’t have a Gate A pass. So buy a Gate A pass; it’s worth it!!!! Gate A, Gate A, Gate A! Moving on…

We first visited Universal Monster Remix. I am not a fan of whatever this dubstep music stuff is in the real world. However, I really enjoyed it in the maze! I found it to be unique and I enjoyed that it gave the maze a different vibe from years past. The main chamber also featured what appeared to be a live DJ mixing; a nice investment if it was real.

Alice Cooper goes to Hell was enjoyable. It’s nice to have only the one 3-D maze, compared to Knott’s which uses the 3-D effect in several mazes each year. Although I found the talent to be lacking, the set pieces and several large rooms provided enough eye candy to make it enjoyable. I will mention that the two stilt performers we saw in the maze were incredible. They chose frozen positions that seemed impossible for humans to pose in, then would wait until guests were almost past them before jumping out at them. We were very impressed!

We then watched the first performance of Bill and Ted’s Excellent Halloween Adventure. This show is one of the reasons that I attend the event year after year. I enjoy the comedic aspect of the show, but equally love seeing the talent of the performers, and watching them put all their energy into their performance. I was excited to see positive reviews of the show from other TPR members early in the run of the event, so my expectations were high. We were NOT disappointed! The writers did a great job incorporating bits of this years’ pop culture, and the cast was simply incredible. We ended up seeing the show for again later in the night and enjoyed it just as much.

Next was the Terror Tram. Because we attended on a Thursday, the line for the tour was scheduled to close at 9:30. With plenty of signage provided around the park, we fell they did a great job of making sure that anyone who wanted to do the Terror Tram was able to do so. I feel that the Terror Tram is lacking in two major areas. First, is the bottleneck issue that occurs between Whoville and the Bates Motel. It took us seven full minutes to walk a total of 50 feet, leaving it difficult for us to fully enjoy the rest of the tour. The second issue is the visible lack of motivation from some of the talent. Many of the scare actors who were given specific actions or interactions did a great job. Some of the Walking Dead zombies also did a great job setting the scene. However, there were several zombies who didn’t seem to care. Even though they were interacting with the guests, they were not appropriate interactions. One of the zombies by the Bates Motel was walking through the crowd and touching the sides and back of the head of several female guests. Totally not acceptable… Another zombie was trying to actually take my camera out of my hands. It wasn’t until I said, “Thank you Mr. Zombie, if you could please not touch my personal belongs, that would be great…”, that he finally let go and moved on. Guest can’t touch the actors, and they shouldn’t be touching the guests either. It blurs the line between “fun scared” and “real scared”. /END RANT Despite those issues, I love having the opportunity to walk next to some of the most famous structures in the world!

We then visited the lower lot, and went through Silent Hill. It was great having that Gate A pass, as we were able to skip the 45 minute wait. Although it wasn’t our favorite maze of the night, we still found it to be a solid maze, having several icons moments that were very well executed. It also boasted some unique talent hides.
Texas Chainsaw Massacre was next, and was my personal favorite of the evening. The talent had the highest energy compared to the other mazes, and the theme seems to translate very well from the screen to a maze.

The Walking Dead was my second favorite maze of the night, again featuring some very memorable recreations throughout the maze. We appreciated the lack of guests backing up through the maze, which is sometimes an issue for other mazes.

Lastly, we visited La Llorona. Last year I seemed to be in the minority of people who enjoyed this maze. I liked it again this year, if not a bit more. I feel that some of the more iconic moments were better executed compared to last year. The floating La Llorona in the dead floating children scene was very crisp, and the growing La Lloronas toward the end of the maze seemed to be better featured. This was my personal 3rd place maze.

The walk-around areas seemed more subdued this year. We didn’t see the area around Silent Hill; where was it? Although the Clowns area has the most eye candy with the height of the cargo containers and the flame boxes, the talent have a small area to work in, and feels like more of a photo op area than a scare zone. Toyz did have a large variety of characters which we found entertaining, but the Witches area was nothing but understated the 3 times we walked through.
Despite the criticism of a few key areas, we find this event to be the best SoCal has to offer. I find it okay to be nit-picky about their product because if these issues were fine-tuned, I would have to return to the event multiple times each season! So to recap: Get a Gate A pass if you want to see all the event has to offer, see Bill and Ted’s, and appreciate the rich theming in the mazes that only Universal Studios Hollywood can offer!

We would like to give a huge “thank you” to Universal Studios Hollywood and Trana from Publicity for taking care of us year after year. YOU ROCK Trana! Halloween Horror Nights runs through the end of the month. Be sure to buy your tickets as soon as possible before your date sells out!
01 copy.jpg
Welcome back to another year at Halloween Horror Nights!
02 copy.jpg
There is no other way to experience the event than with a Gate A pass or the VIP tour.
03 copy.jpg
Yep, another sold out night!
04 copy.jpg
We can always count on the friendly main gate employees!
05 copy.jpg
“Hey Robb, we miss you sugar pie!”
06 copy.jpg
First maze of the night.
07 copy.jpg
08 copy.jpg
Um, hello bonus inside the maze go-go dancer!
09 copy.jpg
Live DJ mixing in the main chamber! (We think.)
10 copy.jpg
The Toys scare zone on London Street.
11 copy.jpg
12 copy.jpg
13 copy.jpg
14 copy.jpg
Yay for 3-D!
15 copy.jpg
The 3-D glasses were handed out for free for both the Gate A and regular guests this year.
16 copy.jpg
Yes please!
17 copy.jpg
18 copy.jpg
We know him!
19 copy.jpg
Really nice open space gave us more to “take in”. Very nice!
20 copy.jpg
21 copy.jpg
The Witches scare zone.
22 copy.jpg
23 copy.jpg
24 copy.jpg
Wait times at 9:05pm.
25 copy.jpg
Line for the Terror Tram. But we had our Gate A pass! (Are you sick of the Gate A mentions yet? Good.)
26 copy.jpg
The good ol’ chainsaw gang.
27 copy.jpg
So here is the bottleneck we referred to earlier…
28 copy.jpg
We loved that you could leave the normal route and get your picture taken in front of the Psyhco House. The guests loved it too!
29 copy.jpg
Approaching the War of the World set.
30 copy.jpg
31 copy.jpg
Silent Hill was in the Mummy extended cue area, and cues in a different area than in past years. You enter by the Jurassic Park splash down.
32 copy.jpg
45 minute wait.
33 copy.jpg
Why thank you!
34 copy.jpg
He’s a dude.
35 copy.jpg
She’s a dude.
36 copy.jpg
37 copy.jpg
Loved this ground position!
38 copy.jpg
Which is cooler, the fact that we found Joey or this poster?
39 copy.jpg
A common sight.
40 copy.jpg
That’s us!
41 copy.jpg
My favorite!
42 copy.jpg
43 copy.jpg
44 copy.jpg
Next up, in the old western arena.
45 copy.jpg
Outside the maze.
46 copy.jpg
47 copy.jpg
This looks familiar!
48 copy.jpg
I am such a fan of these live ground scares!
49 copy.jpg
Back at the front of the park, the Klownz area is bustling.
50 copy.jpg
50 copy.jpg
51 copy.jpg
52 copy.jpg
We LOVED that the park adds these HHN specific trash cans for the talent to beat up. There is nothing quite like the sound of banging metal.
53 copy.jpg
Our last maze of the night!
54 copy.jpg
Rich theming that only Universal can provide.
55 copy.jpg
Creepy!
56 copy.jpg
This effect worked way better for us than it did last year.
57 copy.jpg
Same here.
58 copy.jpg
We love Bill and Ted’s!
59 copy.jpg
Another packed house for this performance.
60 copy.jpg
This year’s show prominently spoofed The Hunger Games. We very much enjoyed it!
61 copy.jpg
“Everyone do the District salute!”
62 copy.jpg
May the odds be NEVER in your favor!
63 copy.jpg
Bill and Ted! The tributes of District 69!
64 copy.jpg
You can always count on some great guest appearances! Like Fozzy Bear?
65 copy.jpg
And the creeper from Family Guy!
66 copy.jpg
..and this girl.
67 copy.jpg
Lincoln is introduced to the current U.S. President. Upon meeting Obama, Lincoln simply says “Your welcome.” This was the audiences favorite moment of the show.
68 copy.jpg
Romney brought the Book of Mormon Elders with him.
69 copy.jpg
70 copy.jpg
Fight, fight, fight!
71 copy.jpg
Ted and Phelps…
72 copy.jpg
Merida and Katniss…
73 copy.jpg
And SIRI!!!!!!!
74 copy.jpg
Hey Adam, this is what SIRI really looks like. Sorry that you now know she is out of your league…
75 copy.jpg
And the show finishes up with them putting blue bananas in each other’s mouths.
76 copy.jpg
And then it really ends with a random dance number! Yay!
77 copy.jpg
And thus ends another great Halloween Horror Nights!
78 copy.jpg
Thank you again to USH and Trana for inviting us. We look forward to next year!
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:26 pm.

Postby Wes » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:13 pm

My two faves were Texas Chainsaw and Llorena, probably because I didn't have much expectation for them and they surpassed it by far.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby downunder » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:23 pm

Went last night, and I've got to say the VIP offering was much improved.

While there was no Rat Lady (at least I didn't see her) or scary keyboard dude at the VIP lounge - the food was much better, it was an actual dinner.

The tour was also improved, in a nutshell, you do King Kong 3D and then get told scary stories and walk around Jaws lake (different to where they went last year), then you're dropped off at the beginning of the Terror Tram.

Throughput at Gate A has greatly improved because Front of Line people have barcodes instead of punch cards - which slowed things down last year. VIP's get the usual lanyard, but also a wristband with a barcode.

The mazes were good, though I didn't think Silent Hill came close to the Hostel or Saw that previously occupied that area on my previous years visits. Walking Dead had great energy, and the worst I noticed the line was 160 minutes, you could watch a few episodes of the show on a tablet while queueing. Dubstep was a surprise, the music reminded a lot of the soundtracks of a lot of old Dario Argento horror films, just with scratchy records added - definitely the best overlay of the House of Horrors I've seen. Alice Cooper had great colour and variation, La Llorona was changed up nicely and Texas Chainsaw Massacre worked well and had some very good rooms. Bill and Ted focused a bit more on comedy than musical numbers this year, and it wasn't bad.

Postby Wes » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:29 pm

160 minutes....wow..Hopefully the Universal execs notice how insanely busy the event is this year and they add more mazes next year!

Postby Jew » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:22 am

Maze wait times are an imperfect science, as you can never predict how people will react to the scares. 160 minutes posted is the absolute worst case scenario---actual wait times are most likely much lower. ;)

Though I agree that I hope the event keeps growing and more mazes are added!
Last edited by Jew on Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:23 am.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!