Photo TR: Vienna Prater

Final Part: Prater by night
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I love donkeys more than me.

Photo TR: Vienna Prater

Postby simon8899 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:13 am

Located just two subwaystops from the Vienna city center at Praterstern the classic city park offers a mixed bag. On the one side you've the signature Ferris Wheel and the unique Funtime attractions - on the other side you've closed up rides and gameshops which seem to rot for years. In between you'll also find a good collection of carnival flats and a so-so coaster collection with the brakeman woodie Hochschaubahn beeing the highlight. It's visible though that Prater Management is trying to revitalize the park by adding a renovated entrance quare with the upper-class restaurant Eisvogel and installing new colorful lightposts in the park. The main problem seems to be that each attraction or restaurant is independently owned and that each owner has it's own ideas and the owners obviously can't agree on future development let alone a flat-fee wristband. This also limits Prater's coasters as they've to fit into one of the properties - as I gathered there were sometimes ideas to install a major coaster but there was never agreement on the sharing of building coasts nor entrance revenue.

After visiting Bakken and Prater this year I've to say that even while Prater offers more signature attractions the look&feel as well as atmosphere is way better in Bakken.
01.JPG
The main reason most tourists visit the Prater
02.JPG
Ferris Wheel machinery
03.JPG
04.JPG
Worlds tallest High-Flyer at 115 meters or 377 feet
05.JPG
06.JPG
This Pinfari coaster will shake you up
07.JPG
Very fragile Ferris Wheel construction
08.JPG
The Vekoma MK-750 Megablitz is actually pretty good
09.JPG
Boomerang with unique lapbar-only trains
10.JPG
Not a sign of excellence...
11.JPG
The rafting ride Alpenblitz by abc-rides is mega-spinning - highly recommended!
12.JPG
This is a sign of excellence
13.JPG
14.JPG
Scenic railway Hochschaubahn
15.JPG
16.JPG
17.JPG
18.JPG
Bext to Ferris Wheel and High-Flyer there's also this option to get a view over Vienna
19.JPG
Funtime Tornado, Volare and small ferris wheel
20.JPG
Funtime' Schwarze Mamaba beeing by far the best ride
21.JPG
22.JPG
23.JPG
24.JPG
As the seats spin freely the ride is always different depending on the weight of riders - sometimes offering massive ejector-air
Last edited by simon8899 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:34 am.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Photo TR: Vienna Prater

Postby cfc » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:09 am

Ah, yes--the Ferris wheel that was used in Director Carol Reed's The Third Man. That makes it twice the classic. I've wanted to visit this park ever since I saw the movie when I was in college.

I like it when parks "theme up" their old scenic railway rides, too. The tunnels, mountains, and little village really add something to it.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby matteocrepaldi » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:20 am

That High Flyier looks amazing! Nice report!
-

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:01 pm

I love seeing photos of Wiener Prater. It is upsetting that so many rides were closed. Did you visit this month? Do you think a lot of rides were closed due to it being the off-season?
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:14 pm

Not surprisingly, I hadn't seen a report on this place for quite some time. It still looks like a great time and there are some very intriguing rides there. I'd love to visit sometime. Too bad there has to be a Volare, though.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Postby simon8899 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:45 pm

I was there the last week of September and visited all day evenings Tue-Thu, with Thursday starting the Vienna version of Oktoberfest called "Wiesn-Fest" right next to the Prater. Nevertheless the attendance was always very low - the only rides gathering good crowds were the Ferris Wheel, Schwarze Mamba and Prater-Turm (the HighFlyer). At least somne rounds were possible on the Tornado, Alpenblitz rafting, Break Dancer, TopSpin and the coasters.

The rides seem to open and close at random. The Hochschaubahn and log-flume were only open on tuesday. The kiddie rides mostly closing at about 6pm. Some rides might be closed for the weekdays or season but others were closed far longer. Some walkways were completly dark at night and looked quite shadowy with some local teenagers gathering in these murky areas.

On the other hand there was also construction going on for new rides or attractions in two places.
25.JPG
This mirror maze is clearly closed for good.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby GayCoasterGuy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:49 am

^How did the trains with lapbars feel/ride on the boomerang?

Postby simon8899 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:07 am

The new trains rode okay - beeing the same make than the ones on german carnival Schwarzkopf double-looper Teststrecke - but not really equipped for riders taller than 2 meters. Even if I normally prefer lapbar-only trains IMO the new rubber-OTSRs by Vekoma like I've ridden on Speed Of Sound at Walibi Holland better fit this coaster. Mainly due to the fact that on the lifts and the last inversion of each direction you slightly hang in the restraint - were an OTSR is better suited. On the Schwarzkopf this lapbars work better as those coaster jam you into the seats and you've no hangtime.

Postby simon8899 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:32 am

After nightfall the dark covers up the unpleasant sights and it can get quite spooky in the deserted sidelanes but if you keep on the main walkways you can have a nighttime carnival air here.
01.JPG
Starting with a spin on the Boomerang
02.JPG
The smaller ferris wheel Blumenrad
03.JPG
Black Mamba with nighttime lights
04.JPG
05.JPG
06.JPG
Entrance plaza with Waveswinger
07.JPG
08.JPG
Eisvogel offers delicious food - mains starting at €20. First class dinning with pop music from the bumber cars next door
09.JPG
Trying to keep the food in...lol
10.JPG
They've a Sorani&Moser Sombrero here - a seldom found and very fun Polyp variant
11.JPG
12.JPG
13.JPG
14.JPG
High-Flyer swirling
15.JPG
The views at night were fantastic
16.JPG
Always good to ride a Break Dancer at night
17.JPG
18.JPG
Right next door to the Dancer is another HUSS ride...
19.JPG
Why did one name a ride "Time To Say Goodbye"???
20.JPG
21.JPG
22.JPG
Someone actually tried the Volare
23.JPG
Ending the last evening with a ride on the Boomerang

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:50 am

I still think that Extasy looks like the most insane amusement ride in human history. There are at least a couple of smaller versions made by Zamperla (?) that roam fairs around the world too.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive