Photo TR: 22 Days in China with TPR

UPDATE--Chap. 22: Hong Kong Disneyland
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Photo TR: 22 Days in China with TPR

Postby cfc » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:57 pm

Handy-Dandy Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Random Thoughts and Credit Whoring (scroll down)
Chapter 2: The TPR High-Speed Tour of Beijing; or, All You Need to Know (and Will Most Likely Forget) About Chinese History in One Day
Chapter 3: How Much More "China" Can You Get?--Shijingshan and Sun Park
Chapter 4: Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin'--Happy Valley Bejing
Chapter 5: Hard Rock Park China?--Victory Kingdom and Credit Whoring
Chapter 6: Epcot Meets Six Flags--Floraland and More Credit Whoring
Chapter 7: A Wetter, Happier Place than Beijing--Happy Valley Chendu
Chapter 8: Hey, Don't Bogart that Bamboo, Dude--Chendu's Panda Base
Chapter 9: A Park that's Almost There--Happy Valley Wuhan
Chapter 10: More of What You Crave: Culture (sort of) in Shanghai
Chapter 11: Whose Brilliant Idea Was This?--A Looping Toboggan and Other Shanghai Credit Whoring
Chapter 12: Still More Shanghai Credit Whoring--or How to Fix a Golden Horse Spinning Coaster with a Big Stick
Chapter 13: "Innovative" and "Delightful"--Happy Valley Shanghai with a Side of Giant Wheel Park
Chapter 14: Joyful and Jurassic Hijinks--World Joyland and China Dinosaurs Park
Chapter 15: Yes! More Crazy Mice!--Whorin' the Credits in Guongdong
Chapter 16: A Chinese Version of a Good Six Flags Park?--Chimelong Paradise
Chapter 17: The Chinese Knott's Berry Farm?--Chuanlord Holiday Manor
Chapter 18: From the Mountains to the City: Knight Valley and Window of the World
Chapter 19: One Last Fling in Mainland China--Happy Valley Shenzhen
Chapter 20: The Best Park in China? Hmm . . . Could Be: Ocean Park
Chapter 21: A Bus, a Boat, and a Tram--Hong Kong Sightseeing
Chapter 22: Disneyland Calls Him "Mini Me"--Hong Kong Disneyland

Chapter 1: Random Thoughts and Credit Whoring

Ever since I was a kid, I've wanted to visit China. Yes, to walk upon the Great Wall, tread in the footsteps of Genghis Khan, see the wonders of the Forbidden City, and ride god-only-knows how many Jungle (or Crazy) Mouse coasters, not to mention knockoff Loopscrews, SLCs, and Spinning Mouse coasters, would be splendid, indeed. I wonder if the defunct Splendid China in Orlando had its own Jungle Mouse? They do seem to be an important part of Chinese culture, along with pandas, goose-head soup, laser pointers, and "sexy" massages. (Relax--all will be explained in time. Maybe. I'm not sure I understand it all myself, yet.)

Here are some random observations about this fascinating land of one-billion-plus people:

1. Chinese people like to shout a lot, usually at close range. Now, this shouting isn't necessarily a sign that they are angry; it's just how they prefer to communicate. That being said, I did encounter plenty of nice Chinese folks who didn't resort to shouting, at least not at me.

2. Chinese persons may be perfectly rational until they get behind the wheel of a car or the handlebars of a bicycle, scooter, or motorbike-- then they become snarling, shouting maniacs with little regard for human life. Is the traffic hopelessly backed up just before your intersection? No problem! Just drive on the wrong side of the road, blast your horn, and shout at any hapless pedestrians who have the audacity to cross the street when it's their turn. I think the ultimate, unexploited video game concept would be "Chinese Bus Driver v. The Rest of China." Oh, the virtual carnage you could cause! (I'm just surprised that we neither witnessed, nor were involved in, any fatal accidents during the TPR trip.)

3. Chinese knockoff rides try to kill you by beating you to death or shaking you to pieces. Government-appointed Chinese tour guides try to kill you through sheer stubbornness. My respect for Robb and Elissa, which was already considerable before China, has only grown after seeing what they had to put up with from the, for lack of a better term, "well-meaning" guides. More on this tribe later.

That's enough "random thinking" for now--it's time for our first day of good, old-fashioned TPR credit whoring in Beijing! Yes, the capital of the Peoples Republic is quite the treasure trove of whacked-out coasters and other attractions. Opening day provided a perfect cross-section of what to expect as the trip went on: a knockoff Wacky Worm, SLC, and Mine Train and, of course, a Crazy Mouse--along with a "factory" (in this case, a tea house) tour. All that was missing was a powered Sliding Dragon coaster.

Let the credit whoring begin!

Welcome to China!
01.jpg
Oh, the places you'll see and the accidents you'll narrowly avoid on this bus.
02.jpg
"Hey, thanks for coming! I'm Howlin' Robb Alvey, and I'll be singin' some blues and blowin' a little harp for y'all for the next three weeks."
03.jpg
"So, let's start with a little 'Chinese Tour Guide Blues.'"

(Meet Bruce--if you need a new suit, a factory tour, a "non-sexy" massage, or instructions on how to count in Chinese, he's your guy.)
04.jpg
This is a building. In China. Just to remind you.
05.jpg
First stop: Crab Island Resort. (Do not have a "sexy massage" in a place with "crab" in its name.)
06.jpg
For your shopping convenience, Crab Island is proud to provide "Shop." Yes, all your shopping needs can be met at "Shop." Unless you want soup. There is no soup at "Shop."
07.jpg
First park of the trip--woo hoo! Welcome to Crab Island Children's Amusement Park.
08.jpg
"The world is a carousel of color! Wonderful, wonderful color!"
09.jpg
Behold, in all it splendor, our first Chinese coaster credit: Green Worm Sliding Car.
10.jpg
Oh, dear lord, those poor Chinese people in the first car never knew what hit them.
11.jpg
"Aghh! The seat belts do nothing!"
12.jpg
Low bridge, Jon!
13.jpg
Ka-freakin'-ching!
14.jpg
Next up, a cross between a Disk-O and a Wacky Worm on stilts.
15.jpg
As near as we can tell, this is called Cool Surfing Coaster, but I think "Broken Washing-Machine Agitator: The Ride" would fit, as well.
16.jpg
This ride is such a marvel of Chinese engineering that people can live under it.
18.jpg
Look at that attention to detail. If only the Great Wall had been built with such care.
19.jpg
"Yay! We are thoroughly enjoying this wonder of Chinese coaster technology!"
20.jpg
Looks like we missed the Chinese September version of Oktoberfest by a few days.
21.jpg
We were greeted by three bunnies--seriously drunken bunnies.
22.jpg
"Hey, September Oktoberfest is over. The bunnies outside should've told you."
23.jpg
Welcome to Crab Island Amusement Park.
24.jpg
Ow! This fully licensed, perfectly legal version of the giant bird from "Up" just bit me.
25.jpg
And just how does Crab Island Amusement Park "re-create" reality?
26.jpg
By providing us with a Chinese re-creation of a Vekoma SLC . . .
26a.jpg
. . . with an identity crisis.
27.jpg
Martin is looking a bit concerned.
28.jpg
But he's gone too far to turn back now.
29.jpg
This ride is like being involved in a "series of rear-end collisions," says Elissa, and I agree.
30.jpg
I call this the "bone mangler."
31.jpg
This train moves so slow that you wonder whether it'll complete the course.
32.jpg
These are some type of "sit-down Segways." We saw people rollin' and rockin' in these contrivances at a few other Chinese parks. More credit whoring to come!
Last edited by cfc on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:25 pm.

Fabulously FIERCE!

Re: Photo TR: 22 Days in China with TPR

Postby DenDen » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:23 pm

Just love reading about this trip, and as with anything you write, it's just awesome! :) Looking forward to reading more from everyone!
"To the floor! The only thing that will hold you up when nobody else will!"

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:38 pm

So much for Crab Island. How about a truly "Olympian" park and a look at how Beijing sees the outside world?

NOTE: My thanks to Larry for providing a handy list of Chinese park and coaster names.
33.jpg
This rather rundown little joint was actually built for the 2008 Olympic Games: Ayoun Fuwa Park.
34.jpg
But look--a mouse coaster! (Better buy yourself an extra six pack of your favorite beverage, folks--you're going to be seeing a lot of these as this report unfolds.)
35.jpg
This ride is yellowjacket approved.
36.jpg
Please note that this is a "Crazy" (as opposed to "Jungle") Mouse.
37.jpg
What a relief!
38.jpg
This ride makes Robb happy . . .
39.jpg
. . . and Hanno crazy.
40.jpg
"Oh crap oh crap oh crap!"
41.jpg
This rather impressive, Disneyesque entrance marks Beijing World Park. It's a cross between Epcot and Lego Miniland.
42.jpg
The entrance plaza is indeed rather classy looking.
43.jpg
Partially nude statues = "culture."
44.jpg
Then again, there are spots in the park that look like this.
45.jpg
Look--it's an adorable Cheshire Cat Pig!
46.jpg
And lookie--an actual, honest-to-god jet aeroplane! Is there no end to the wonders we'll find here?
47.jpg
Remember--You have been warned!
48.jpg
Another good name for this coaster would be "Knee Cracker" (those trains are a bit of a tight fit).
49.jpg
Hmm--in other parks this would be "theming."
49a.jpg
But in China, it could be a legitimate warning.
50.jpg
Perhaps this dog's name is "Falling Rocks," and we're supposed to "be aware" of him.
51.jpg
So, that's what happened to the "Golden Gate Bridge" at Disney California Adventure.
52.jpg
Welcome to Manhattan . . .
53.jpg
. . . er, excuse me--"Manhafttan," which could very well have a "Will Street," as far as I know.
56.jpg
All these guys are trying to hide erections.
57.jpg
Dan and the camel are enjoying this way too much.
58.jpg
Look, Adam--an early concept for a Stormtrooper helmet! Bet you didn't see this at your last Star Wars nerd fest!
59.jpg
Oh, I remember climbing to the top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge during TPR's 2011 Australia Trip! What a splendid view . . ."
60.jpg
Ow! Looks like he wasn't amused by my anecdote.
61.jpg
Here's a picture of a Chinese courthouse, and because I work at the National Center for State Courts, I can write this trip off as a business expense! Score!
62.jpg
We ended our day with a sales pitch, er, tea ceremony at an authentic Chinese tea house.
63.jpg
Hmm--do alien face huggers hatch from these things?
64.jpg
Phew! Apparently not! They can quarantine you at the Chinese border if you're a host to an alien chest burster. That's all for now. Next up: some culture. Get excited!
Last edited by cfc on Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:43 am.

The Future Mrs. Big Mike!

Postby Pirouettes907 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:42 pm

HOORAY, Chuck's China TR has begun!

I have been looking forward to this :)

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:52 pm

Glad to help Chuck, I'm still trying to determine if I have enough viable photos for a Photo TR.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:09 pm

Good start to the TR---can't wait to see more photos! Really makes me miss China and all its quirks.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:14 pm

This TR is already full of win! Looking forward to all 22 days!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mrlittle » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:18 pm

Great report so far. Looks like a fun time in China.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby sspaz1000 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:21 pm

Great start! Can't wait to see the rest of the trip from your POV.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby vuurvogel » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:19 am

Great report, much attention to detail. And very funny

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive