TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Irn Bru Carnival, Glasgow SECC, Jan 14

Shockwave

This is a bit delayed due to the board being down, but here's what I got up to in Glasgow with a few friends last weekend.

The Irn-Bru Carnival is an annual event that takes place indoors at the Sottish Entertament & Conference Centre in Glasgow, Scotland. This year, there were plenty of rides for all enjoy, and in particular, spinning rides were on the menu.

Air Jumper - Good start to the day, but our jumping arm only worked half the time! Was still funny to see Jason getting squashed at one end.

Eclipse - Rode this twice - first time had a long cycle, but we didn't get any back breaking spins. Second ride was much shorter, but the spinning was ferocious.

Ghost Train - Did look the most sturdy ride in the building, but we got it out of the way before the queues arrived. Not scary in the slightest.

Caterpillar Coaster - Standard Pinfari Big Apple coaster. Have now lost count of how many of these things I've been on.

Octupus/Dancer - I didn't ride, but it looked like it was good fun.

Twister - Got upto some good speed. Not for those with weak stomachs!

Drop Tower - Not amazing, but we had a good laugh on this.

Airwolf - Looks like a giant dartboard when it gets going. And the ride wasn't bad either!

Carousel - Was over 100 years old, and you could ride a giant cock!

Mad Mouse - Fabbri spinning coaster, quite similar to Zamperla's version. With lots of rodent artwork for Elissa!

Dodgems - Were quite fast, and lots of bad driving ensued!

Speed Flip - The best ride in the carnival, and one of the best I've ever been on! Was insanely fast from the moment the arms began to ride.

Super Spin - Awesome ride, very similar to Speed Flip, but the motion is completely controlled. Still made a few people feel quite unwell!

Rotor - Hillarious. Put simply, it's like a round-up that doesn't go up. and the floor drops away from you. Wish I had taken some pictures inside, probably the funniest ride all day!

Here's the bit you all really care about!

Here we are the SECC!

Mark checks his height for any excuse to chicken out of the spin 'n' spews!

Seems like everywhere is going smoke free now.

Az gets blinded by the flash as he tries filming me!

The Don gets everyone ready to move in.

First ride of the day! Shame our jumping arm wasn't jumping very much.

Eclipse! Good name, but Blackout would be more appropriate!

Feeling dizzy?

Az & "Hayley" up close and personal on the Ghost Train.

"Scotty, we need this caterpillar going at Warp 5 or we're screwed!"

"I cannae do that captain!"

Chrissie, this one's for you!

We didn't ride the Waltzers because the lines were huge all day...

...I wonder why?!?!?

The drop tower was ok.

But the dartboard ride was as good as it looked!

There's gotta be some giant cocks in there somewhere...

Time for a bite to eat at Harry Ramdsen's Express.

They weren't joking either! In Scotland, "Express" = "Less food, but faster! Even I consider this a light snack!

Back to the rides...

Aww, they even saved a seat for Robb!

More light speed action!

And two thumbs up from Mark!

By this point I was getting tired.

Second half the update to follow shortly!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before Part II gets posted...

I recognise Louise Nurding/Redknapp but who in the name of God is the other one? Rachel Stevens maybe?

Harry Ramsden's is sooooo amazing (although not as good as my local chippy) and if I'd only been given that tiny amount I would've had to beat somebody up. WTF?!

I recognise Louise Nurding/Redknapp but who in the name of God is the other one? Rachel Stevens maybe?

Harry Ramsden's is sooooo amazing (although not as good as my local chippy) and if I'd only been given that tiny amount I would've had to beat somebody up. WTF?!

Lou, I have no idea who the other chick is. Like the rest of the males there, I just stopped and stared for a few seconds!

OK, part 2 of the report!

Hot rodent action!

Insert gratuitous comment here.

Now Insert comment about how BRILLIANT this ride was!

KMG Experience. Close, but no cigar on the Moser Speed Flip.

Still a great ride though.

Peter & Andy go for spin.

They kept spinning for the next hour!

Tumble dryers never looked so good.

Here's the Disneyland portion of the update.

With a life size replica of the castle!

High speed Dodgems for all.

Yours truly represented TPR for the day!

Part 3 (yes, I have got more photos still) will follow soon.

Great TR Tom!

I am hoping this will inspire me to take in our "indoor carnival" which usually rolls into town before the beginning of spring.

But - my prob.is nobody to do it with, who'd be (probably) willing to (ahem) throw themself(ves) into doing more than say, 'just three rides'?

Hmmm. Will have to work on that. Got till March, at least, lol.

Great pix with the lights on everything. I like that.

Definitely not Rachel Stevens. I think it looks more like Cheryl Aloud. (For the Americans... Cheryl Tweedy from the group Girls Aloud) Or if I got the girls confused, Nadine Aloud.

Irn-Bru = Sickly sweet bubble-gum flavored orange soda (my opinion of course). Supposedly it is Scotland's second national drink (after your alcohol of choice) and is supposed to have amazing anti-hangover properties. And as my sister found out after she brought some back from Scotland, it will take the copper off a penny.

For those in the Los Angeles area, the British grocery stores usually have it. And the Virgin Megastores around California (the country?) usually have some in stock near the Virgin Cola or "authentic British crap" table...