Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

P. 329: Newest Steel Curtain construction photos posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Open Up Happiness

Re: Kennywood Discussion Thread

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:26 pm

http://www.wtae.com/news/local/allegheny/Kennywood-Park-starts-selling-beer/-/10927008/15603254/-/bg2okwz/-/index.html?absolute=true

Kennywood Park is ending its summer season with a new item on the menu: beer.

After months of debate and political negotiations, the amusement park began selling alcohol for the first time last weekend, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Earlier, Kennywood agreed to limit beer sales to satisfy state Sen. Jim Ferlo, who planned to fight the park's application with the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board to transfer a liquor license from a closed McKeesport restaurant.

Some of the key conditions are limiting sales to two beers per person, using an electronic scanning device to check IDs, and limiting sales to a "beer garden" area near the lagoon. Employees also went through the PLCB's alcohol management program.

The cost is $7 for a 16-ounce cup. The beer garden opens at 1 p.m. and closes no later than two hours before the park closes for the night.

Sunday is Kennywood's last day of the season. The park will reopen in the fall for Phantom Fright Nights but will not sell beer then.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:00 pm

I was amused watching a marathon of Shipping Wars the other night and one shipper was tasked with delivering the spider from New Jersey.
Last edited by larrygator on Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:01 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby eddie200330 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:20 pm

larrygator wrote:I was amused watching a marathon of Shipping Wars the other night and one shipper was tasked with delivering the spider from New Jersey.

It wasn't as amusing as the poor girl trying to haul the mini ferris wheel though!!!
Life is a lemon and I want my money back????

He who farts in church sits in own pew.............

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby disneyfan1313 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:19 pm

The whole beer thing is really bizarre - is the Pittsburg area really that conservative when it comes to issues like that? Most major parks sell beer without any issues so I am surprised that they are making it seem like such a big one there!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:24 pm

^People will get their noses out of joint over all sorts of stupid stuff. I remember when Hooters was planning to come to Modesto, Calif., and the local bluenoses threw a fit about how the chain didn't "meet community standards."

"Standards"? "Modesto"? Now there are two words that don't go together in a sentence.

It is pretty strange to think that a town that built itself on hard work and the steel industry would have issues with an amusement park serving beer.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby kidcoaster 2 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:30 pm

disneyfan1313 wrote:The whole beer thing is really bizarre - is the Pittsburg area really that conservative when it comes to issues like that? Most major parks sell beer without any issues so I am surprised that they are making it seem like such a big one there!

Pittsburgh is one of my favorite places to drink. There is so many great places to visit especially the south side so I find it very odd they have been getting the uproar as they have... but than again it's already been pointed out that people always needs to find something whine about.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby simon8899 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:08 pm

Only 2 half liters for a whole day - MEH!!!

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:54 am

disneyfan1313 wrote:The whole beer thing is really bizarre - is the Pittsburg area really that conservative when it comes to issues like that? Most major parks sell beer without any issues so I am surprised that they are making it seem like such a big one there!

PA seriously has some of the most backwards and outdated liquor laws in the US. It's also a much more conservative state than many people know, unless they've lived there. I'm not surprised at all they have such a dumb system in place in the park.

As someone that grew up in PA, this quote from a book I read recently pretty much sums it up: Pennsylvania - Philadelphia on one side, Pittsburg on the other, and Kentucky in between. :p

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Rai Fox » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:03 am

Pittsburgh isn't, but unfortunately most of the rest of the state is, and the state sets the regulations, not the city. Pittsburgh is really an anomaly in a mostly -very- conservative state.

Meteornotes wrote:
As someone that grew up in PA, this quote from a book I read recently pretty much sums it up: Pennsylvania - Philadelphia on one side, Pittsburg on the other, and Kentucky in between. :p

I love PA's natural beauty, it has some truly wonderful areas, and Pittsburgh is by far my favorite city I've ever been to, but I recently heard the center of the state just referred to as Pennsyltuckey and I can't stop using that term now. I vacation there every summer (a couple days at Knoebels, a couple days for other parks, then on to Pittsburgh for a convention), and this year a part of my group of friends stopped for lunch at a McDonalds just outside of Altoona. The place looked like a bad parody of the deep south, and one of my friends was harangued while she waited at the counter by a three-toothed woman for carrying "one'a dem Obumma spy-phone tings!" around (her cell phone). Could not get out of that area quickly enough.

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:20 am

^I have quite the amazing McDonald's story from when I was driving to Knoebel's a few years ago, but I only tell it at parties and speaking engagements.

That part of PA is terrifying. I'm sure most of the people there do believe that cell phones are the devil's tool or something equally bizarre.

Pittsburg is cool, though. I do need to get back to Kennywood some time. It's been a few years.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!