TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I'm pretty sure the 2013 addition to Kings Dominion will be an expansion of the kids area and/or a new adult flat ride just like others have suggested. I would be very surprised if the park is getting a coaster both because they just got Intimidator 305 a couple years ago and because Cedar Fair is already building at least two coasters next year. The chain isn't one that's known to install several major coasters at various parks in the same year, and with Cedar Point and CGA both getting one, and Knott's likely getting a coaster as well (all three of which are in much greater need of a new coaster than Kings Dominion), I just don't see a new coaster happening at Kings Dominion next year. I'd say that there's a good chance the park will be getting a new coaster in 2014/2015, but just not 2013.

Edited by rcdude

Millennium Force Was released in 2000 and Top Thrill Dragster was released in 2003. If those coasters were released 3 years apart I don't see why KD can't get a major coaster.

Because that's Cedar Point and this is Kings Dominion?

Volcano and Flight of Fear were built 2 years apart, and Italian Job, Dominator, and Intinidator 305 were also 2 years apart.........

^Dominator was already owned by Cedar Fair. Very cheap "new" addition.

Agreed, but Knotts also built Xcelerator and Silver Bullet 2 years apart.... I'm not saying KD is getting a new world record holder next year but I'm sure if the return on invest could justify the purchase they would build a major coaster every year. The whole major ride every 4 years or whatever is probably more like guidelines than actual business model.

Millennium Force Was released in 2000 and Top Thrill Dragster was released in 2003. If those coasters were released 3 years apart I don't see why KD can't get a major coaster.

Plus Wicked Twister in 2002. Millennium Force was about the same price as I-305 ($25 million), and Wicked twister was $9,000,000 (3 million more than Windseeker), and Top Thrill Dragster was, again, $25,000,000. If Cedar Point can do that, I'm sure Kings Dominion can possibly put a small-medium sized coaster in.

Maybe B&M's first launched coaster!

Too bad Hulk already took that record at IOA..

Misconception. The only thing "cheap" about it was that they already had the track, supports and trains. They still had to pour new foundations, ship and re-assemble the track, build new station and maintenance buildings, and build pathways to its new area.

Yes, but the launch system wasn't actually made by B&M. They wanted nothing to do with it, so the launch was subcontracted to Premier Rides.

Plus Wicked Twister in 2002. Millennium Force was about the same price as I-305 ($25 million), and Wicked twister was $9,000,000 (3 million more than Windseeker), and Top Thrill Dragster was, again, $25,000,000. If Cedar Point can do that, I'm sure Kings Dominion can possibly put a small-medium sized coaster in.

Then again, Cedar Point is by far the biggest cash cow in the chain. There's a pie graph someone posted somewhere recently that shows Cedar Fair's expenditures and returns per park, and Cedar Point is more than a quarter of their revenue. With such a high return of investment, they can afford to build so many huge things in such a short period of time. Kings Dominion? Not so much. But one can dream.

CF also took on a significant debt load after its acquisition of Paramount's KI, KD, Carowinds, CGA, CW. Although CF installed several coasters at these parks since 2008, they need to carefully plan their expenditures (remember Six Flags' bankruptcy?). Of course, prior to CF's acquisition of these parks, the Paramount chain's coaster selections were pretty bad (with some exceptions- Volcano, The Beast).

Misconception. The only thing "cheap" about it was that they already had the track, supports and trains. They still had to pour new foundations, ship and re-assemble the track, build new station and maintenance buildings, and build pathways to its new area.

Yes, but the launch system wasn't actually made by B&M. They wanted nothing to do with it, so the launch was subcontracted to Premier Rides.

Woops, I should have been more specific; I meant B&M’s first launched system.

Edited by bbusic

Well, this is fantastic news for children and families, but the advertising as a new record, especially reaching out on Facebook and their website, it really built up hype to the people who are not affected by the announcement. Good for King's Dominion for making the experience for the children a lot better.

Woops, I should have been more specific; I meant B&M’s first lunched system.

And this made me laugh

Edited by VinTheAttendant

^I agree... it seems a pretty deceiving, the record part. It is a very specific record. The worlds largest Peanuts themed Kid's area. If it was the worlds largest Kid's area I'd get it, but it really just means the largest out of the Cedar Fair parks.

^^^ & ^^ Why shouldn't they hype it up just because it wasn't a record for a new coaster? It would make NO sense not to advertise it just because it wasn't a thrill ride. None whatsoever. It is a new record and they should advertise it that way.

For the last time roller coasters are the not the only thing a park has, people need to get that through their minds for once.

I will congatulate KD not only for expanding the kids area, but for the good marketing leading up to.

^ and ^^ If you look at the reactions on the Facebook page, that's more or less the reason why. The GP isn't as forgiving about these sort of things as the enthusiasts. Personally, I'm happy for the park. I think it will be a great addition. All I'm saying is that a lot of people feel deceived, and at least some marketing acknowledging children in mind would have lead to a more positive reaction from the encompassing GP.

Edited by VinTheAttendant

Kings Dominion plans multi-million dollar expansion of Planet Snoopy

Togetherness takes on a whole new meaning as Kings Dominion announces plans for a multi-million dollar addition to its children’s area, Planet Snoopy. This 7-acre expansion will make Planet Snoopy the world’s largest PEANUTS™ themed children’s area when it debuts in the spring of 2013.

Planet Snoopy will boast at least 12 new and re-themed attractions based on one of the most beloved comic strip characters. The attractions, designed for families to ride together, include an opportunity for a family to take to the skies in a balloon ride, twirl around in classic tea cups with a new twist and hop aboard a PEANUTS™- themed railway. When the expansion is complete, Planet Snoopy will span nearly 14-acres.

In addition to the new family rides, Planet Snoopy will also feature:

• A new iconic entrance fountain
  • Two live shows featuring family-friendly entertainment
  • Additional daily meet-and-greet opportunities with the PEANUTS™ characters including Charlie Brown, Linus, Lucy and, of course the world’s most popular Beagle – Snoopy
  • A newly expanded 1,100 square-foot family care facility equipped with changing stations, feeding rooms and nap areas
  • An open air marketplace featuring fresh fruit and food

Planet Snoopy is based on the popular and world-wide sensation of Charles Schulz’s PEANUTS™ characters, which have been family favorites for more than 60 years. From the famous comic strips, to the holiday movie classics, PEANUTS™ has always brought families together for an out-of-this-world experience.

“Snoopy and the PEANUTS™ gang are instantly recognizable and nostalgic characters that both parents and children can experience together,” Kings Dominion’s vice president and general manager Pat Jones said. “This sizeable expansion to Planet Snoopy is unparalleled in scope to anything in this region and re-affirms our commitment to delivering world-class family thrills and entertainment.”

Construction will begin after the park’s popular Halloween Haunt event at the end of October. The newly expanded Planet Snoopy is expected to open to the public in the spring of 2013. Those who cannot wait until next year can access exclusive updates, features, virtual renderings and more, including a webcam of the construction, at kingsdominion.com.

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=55492_planet_snoopy_0911_u68j[/coastertube]

download.jpg.adb6d6091cf256ea90014e3ad5227b49.jpg

Edited by ernierocker

^Are you suggesting that parents with kids that "like" KD on Facebook aren't part of that facebook?

This.

I think it's great, they haven't done much for kids lately so it's kind of the right time for it. Anyone know if they are they still planning to make the mods to Volcano that were rumored a while back? I haven't heard much on that in a while.

PS, I like how their website says the announcement is still 2 hours away. Haha.

Edited by Double0Kevin