Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

P. 1996 - Jersey Devil Coaster Announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: gardyloo! and 17 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Postby Athletekim » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:45 pm

My friend is trying to talk me into going to Fright Fest because it would be her first time at Six Flags and she wants to ride all of the rides and experience Fright Fest. I haven't been to Fright Fest before but I figure it will be very crowded almost like a summer day?

Im trying to convince her of going on one of the Sundays during Fright Fest and telling her that we should arrive right when the gates open. This way we can get to do all of the rides and hopefully get reruns before it starts to get more crowded in the afternoon. This way we will have all of the rides done by the time Fright Fest starts and just walk around not worrying about waiting.

Would that be better off then just arriving to the park in the early afternoon hoping to get all the rides in?
Riding Roller Coasters since 2010! Coaster Count=52 Park Count=15
My #1 Steel: Storm Runner My #1 Wooden: Phoenix

I know EXACTLY where my passport is!

Postby TPDave » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:47 pm

^It'll be a LONG day, but it'll be worth it. Turning up early is the way to go. You might not get rerides but you stand a much better change of getting on everything.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby coasternut » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:17 pm

Nitro1118 wrote:
coasternut wrote: El Toro - 1 train operation.
I was at Great Adventure the last 2 days. I was at my only ACE event (don't boo me) "Riding of the Bull Cuatro" yesterday. The event was amazing, but not as fun as the TPR events! The A train is off the track and they're only running 1 train. This was true even during out event. The entire top of car 2 is off, so all you see is the chassis. Always the staff hustles on that ride, but 1 train operation is unbearable! I know they're only open now Saturdays and Sundays until Fright Fest begins, so this was maintenance problem was puzzling.

I hope it's back to normal for next weekend's operation.

El Toro my #1 Woodie :b

Ha I probably saw you Saturday, I saw at least 40 people with ACE shirts throughout the day. Great day at the park, the first 2 hours were amazing since the early morning rain scared everyone away. I was on like the 3rd train of the day, front row on KK, and was able to stay on a few rides (Toro, Nitro and B:TR) without getting off.

I'm no longer a member of ACE and I don't wear ACE shirts anymore. I was at Nitro for 14 rides for ERT on Saturday. Yes, the rain possibility kept people away on Sunday. Great Adventure is my #2 favorite park - 6 Flags Magic Mountain is my #1.

FINALLY got my Green Lantern credit too, though I rode it as Chang back in 2006. Delivered more forces than I remember, but still found it a bit uneventful. Just never liked the stand-up gimmick.

Oh, and Nitro was running FANTASTIC. Rode it in borderline-pouring rain and it was a helluva lot of fun. Toro was amazing as usual (though I hate how they slow it down at the top of the lift now...it takes a lot out of the first drop, and a little bit out of the 1st camelback), and since it's been a year, riding KK was awesome in the front row. I wish they'd just replace those trains, though, and go with the slicker trains on TTD. The restraints don't bother me, but I think the bulkiness of the trains just don't do well at those speeds, and it makes for an earthquake-like ride in every other car besides the 1st.
Coasternut,

LIVING FOR THAT AIRTIME!! :airtime:

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby coasternut » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:22 pm

LBIJim wrote:
YoshiFan wrote:^^I agree Bizarro's operations, on Friday night the line was barely out of the station but I still skipped it because I thought it would still be a 20 minute wait (I don't mind a 20 minute wait if the line keeps moving). I wonder if it was the same 2 girls checking restraints that I saw last week. They also stopped to talk about non park stuff in the middle of checking restraints while the trains were double stacking. They might as well save the costs and run 2 trains instead of 3 since they always double stack.

I also agree about Kingda Ka's queue and the Golden Kingdom being dark. With the misting fans at night I couldn't even see how long the line was until I got to the end of the line.

I don't ride Bizarro anymore, but I'm sad to hear of its inefficient operations. I remember by mid-summer of 1999, Medusa's first season, the crews were top notch and really worked with a sense of urgency. The line would often fill all three switchbacks and maybe another 50 people were beyond the entrance, yet the line rarely exceeded 35 minutes.

Jim

I ride Bizarro for the ride. The crew is the worst at Great Adventure. They could get a full time job at any Cedar Fair park and fit right in.
Coasternut,

LIVING FOR THAT AIRTIME!! :airtime:

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby RideofSteel » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:48 pm

Athletekim wrote:My friend is trying to talk me into going to Fright Fest because it would be her first time at Six Flags and she wants to ride all of the rides and experience Fright Fest. I haven't been to Fright Fest before but I figure it will be very crowded almost like a summer day?

Im trying to convince her of going on one of the Sundays during Fright Fest and telling her that we should arrive right when the gates open. This way we can get to do all of the rides and hopefully get reruns before it starts to get more crowded in the afternoon. This way we will have all of the rides done by the time Fright Fest starts and just walk around not worrying about waiting.

Would that be better off then just arriving to the park in the early afternoon hoping to get all the rides in?

You definitely can't ride everything, sorry to say. Even Sunday's during fright fest are insane. Last year I got there at opening and there was already hour long lines. By three, El Toro's was almost to Bizarro, and Kingda Ka's was all the way to the Twister.

I also learned from experience never leave anything in your car during fright fest. Mine, along with many others were broken into that night.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:29 pm

Six Flags Great Adventure has sent us two new press releases, the first regarding Fright Fest...

Six Flags Great Adventure’s Fright Fest Presented by SNICKERS® promises family-friendly “thrills by day,” while an amped-up “fright by night” will deliver more Zombie Zones, Terror Trails, Halloween-themed shows and more screams than ever before. Now six weeks long, Fright Fest begins Sept. 22 and runs weekends through Oct. 28.

Thirty Halloween-themed shows and attractions await guests during Fright Fest’s twenty-first season. By day, families can enjoy favorites like the Trick-or-Treat Trail, Monster Mash Bash musical, Professor Slithers’ Creepy Critters animal show, Haunted Wagon Tales ride, Spooky, Kooky Magic Show and more. Guests can also enjoy the park’s famous line-up of thrill rides, including Adventure Alley featuring four new rides for 2012—SkyScreamer extreme swing ride, Fender Benders bumper cars, Air Jumbo flying elephants and Deja Vu scrambler.

After 6 pm, the park transitions to “fright by night” and is not recommended for children under 12 and those who scare easily. Scream-seekers can expect new shows including The Awakening, Dead Man’s Party—The Guest List, Circus of Thrills, Doc Swan’s Sideshow of Oddities and after a multi-year hiatus, the return of popular shows like Bad Bob the Bone Butcher and Professor Zombini’s Freak Show starring Coney Island sideshow icon Todd Robbins.

Zombie Zones including The Bloody Fountain, Circus Psycho, Bone Butcher Terror-Tory and the all-new Shipwreck Cove feature midway-roaming zombies hunting for their next meal. By popular demand, ghoul-repellent whistles will not be offered this season which makes all guests equally delectable to resident zombies.

Four outdoor Terror Trails provide the most intense Fright Fest scares. Voodoo Island, Fright Fest’s new Terror Trail, takes guests on a tour of a reality show set cursed by cannibals. Two Terror Trails feature new themes – the steampunk-inspired Insanity: Gears of the Mind and the toxic Wasteland. The Manor and its zombie-infested halls return for a second season. All four areas remove guests from familiar park surroundings and transport them into a gauntlet of terror in terrifyingly remote areas of the property.

Guests can also enjoy the return of show favorites like the multimedia spectacular Ghoulmaster’s Ghosts featuring new music and surprises, and the Dead and Local music showcase.

Spooktacular Charitable Events

Six Flags hosts the tenth-annual American Red Cross Blood Drive Sept. 29. Guests can donate a pint of blood to earn a free ticket to Fright Fest. Reservations must be made by calling 732/928-2000, ext. 2834. Up to 200 donors are needed and will be taken on a first call, first serve basis. Must be 16 or older, at least 110 lbs. and in good health to donate.

Six Flags Great Adventure hosts the 6th annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Sept. 30 – New Jersey’s largest 5k run/walk. The day honors breast cancer survivors, those lost, and unites a community in the fight against breast cancer. In 2011, more than 15,000 participants and spectators turned out to support the Race for the Cure. For more information, log onto sixflags.com/greatadventure and go to the events tab.

2013 Season Passes – Great Family Value at Cost of One-Day Ticket

The best way to enjoy the thrills of the 2013 season is with a Season Pass. 2013 Season Passes are currently on sale for the price of a one-day ticket when purchasing four or more – $62.99 per person. When purchasing and processing by Oct. 28, 2012 guests will receive a free upgrade to “premium” status, which includes the theme park and new Safari Off Road Adventure, unlimited admission to Six Flags Hurricane Harbor, bring-a-friend free days, early park access and more. Plus, guests receive one free parking pass when purchasing four or more passes during this limited time offer. 2012 Season Pass and Summer Thrill Pass holders receive a special renewal discount. For more information, visit http://www.sixflags.com/greatadventure.

The second press release is about a new species of otters who have joined the park...

This weekend, Six Flags Great Adventure introduces a new species to its theme park, Asian small-clawed otters. The litter of six otter pups, just two months old, consists of two males—Jackson and Baxter— and four females – Cali, Roxi, Pearl and Sushi. Currently weighing less than a pound each, Asian small-clawed otters rank as the smallest otter species in the world, and will reach approximately ten pounds when fully grown.

In the wild, these otters can be found in fresh water rivers, estuaries, swamps and lakes in Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and other Southeast Asian countries. However, due to hunting, pollution and destruction of their natural habitat, this species is considered vulnerable and is protected by the Species Survival Plan.

Currently, the pups receive bottle feedings every four-to-six hours. “Raising otter pups is just like raising children,” said Dave Peranteau, supervisor of animal training at Six Flags. “They love to sleep in our arms. They’re such cuddlebugs.” The otters reside in the theme park’s Safari Discoveries section, an interactive animal area. As the pups grow, guests can watch them learn to swim this fall in the Seafari Theater’s underwater viewing pool.

“Otters are highly social animals and extremely intelligent,” Peranteau said. “We hope that their interaction with our guests will help raise awareness for the plight of their species.”
6 Asian otters - Andy Beldowicz LR.jpg
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:36 pm

TL;DR version:

Six Flags is going to terrify you with a terrifyingly terrifying gauntlet of terror with new terrifying terror trails with terror lurking around every terrifying corner. PS: WE HAVE ADORABLE BABY OTTERS!!!!!!

The playground is where I spend most of my days

Postby UrbanLegend » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:49 pm

Dear Lord Baby Otter Jesus, as I plan another trip to Great Adventure for 40 college kids this Fright Fest, please give me an empty night, as you did last year, in your infinite wisdom. May you provide a forecast of rain for the entire day, then clear the skies just as we arrive, driving away all from the park and allowing us to ride El Toro seven times in a row. Amen, Baby Otter Jesus.
-Did you just say you have the right to be an attorney?
-Well, everyone has the right to be an attorney, if they want to.

I make music: https://tigercastle.bandcamp.com

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby buckaroo234 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:12 pm

that may be the cutest thing ever. :b

We love you Monte, oh yes we do. We love you Monte, you know its true. When your not near us, were blueeeee. Oh Monte we love you!

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby theonetheonlyJT » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:23 pm

I've seen the ones at the Georgia Aquarium and they were very active and fun to watch.
Signature, I don't need no stinking signature!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!