WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

P. 177: Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge officially opens on 8/29/19
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Delicious & Refreshing

Re: WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:39 am

I had the chance to visit Disney's Hollywood Studios last Thursday, and there was plenty of new things to see while there, including new FastPass+ readers and more work on the new Captain Jack attraction in the old Prince Caspian space.
DSC08628.JPG
It's a little hard to see (I didn't realize they were here until I looked at the photo later on), but FastPass+ readers have been installed at the entrance of Rock n' Rollercoaster.
DSC08632.JPG
I think this is a good idea!
DSC08633.JPG
Never gets old!
DSC08639.JPG
Readers have been installed in front of Tower of Terror as well.
DSC08650.JPG
Over in The Magic of Disney Animation, Wreck-It Ralph has moved in to the Production Gallery.
DSC08654.JPG
John Lasseter in Wreck-It Ralph form!
DSC08658.JPG
Detailed displays about the film's characters and their development fill the gallery.
DSC08666.JPG
DSC08667.JPG
Here's a display for the protagonist of the film, King Candy.
DSC08671.JPG
And here is Jane Lynch's character.
DSC08674.JPG
Sarah Silverman's character.
DSC08683.JPG
"Will do a barrel roll"

This film is going to be fantastic!
DSC08696.JPG
Over at the developing attraction "The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow" the studio building is receiving a new paint scheme.
DSC08698.JPG
Tape shows evidence of new signage or paint designs to be added to the front of the new attraction's entrance.
DSC08703.JPG
Just a normal day, right?
DSC08704.JPG
Scratch that!
DSC08720.JPG
Over to the left of the American Idol Experience, a new entrance canopy has been added along with FastPass+ readers for the upcoming test.
DSC08723.JPG
Between these posts is the future of the FastPass experience...
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mrlittle » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:19 am

Those new Fastpass+ systems will probably work great and all. I mean who doesn't want more fastpass. However, now that there at the entrances, it kind of like takes away from the theming. I mean there small but there also in the way. When the other fast pass machines are normally away from the rides entrance. I guess I will have to wait to see what they look like when its all done.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby Stitch_101 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:40 am

While I do believe DHS needs a major renovation/expansion, I'm a little concerned about how they will go about it. I know how popular Pixar movies and the Marvel universe are, but Pixar is already saturating many of the Disney parks. I'm sure the same will happen once Disney goes ahead with building Marvel themed attractions as well. Cars Land was a great addition for DCA, but I personally would rather not see it go to DHS as well. Disney has a long list of popular movie franchises under its belt it could use to expand DHS without them dipping into Pixar or Marvel properties. Just a short list of some: National Treasure (3rd film aiming for a 2014 release) Tron, The Witch Mountain series (while the newest was hardly a huge money maker, the series has a long history at Disney), or even Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland world. There is also the upcoming Lone Ranger movie. All of these could lend themselves to great additions. I personally could see a National Treasure attraction opening near the Indiana Jones stunt show. I think they would complement each other nicely. I would even welcome an original story ride, like ToT.

But then on the flip side, I know Disney will more often then not defer to Pixar properties, and probably in the future, Marvel. Pixar films are HUGELY popular with families, so much so that any new Pixar themed attraction is pretty much a sure fire hit for Disney.

Either way, as long as they keep Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater, I'll try to stay optimistic. It's one of my favorite Disney restaurants. I just love the atmosphere and whole concept behind it.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:50 am

I think if Disney were to drop another $1 billion on a park overhaul for DHS like they did for DCA, they would change out Cars Land for a whole lot of Marvel. Cars Land fits much better at DCA than it does at any other Disney park in the States - Route 66 was the big route from Santa Monica east, after all.

With DHS, I think there's really two options for a big expansion - Marvel or Toy Story/Pixar. There's a lot of room to the south and southeast of the park where (assuming that the land is good to build on) just some relocation of the parking lot entrance booths and road would allow for what could be a huge Marvel area. That's one.

Two: I don't know if there's ever been any talk of the Great Movie Ride being retired, but between that building and the Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area, an expansion to Pixar Place could happen (that Monsters Inc. ride in the Movie Ride building, maybe). I'd suggest letting Pixar Place encroach on the Animation Courtyard, but the Walt museum is the first thing outside the Pixar gates, so unless that's getting moved (or incorporated) than that's a no-go - unless they build around the back in those backstage areas.

Just some ideas...probably a mix of feasible and infeasible. Consider me in 'blue sky' mode!
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby netdvn » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:03 am

Universal still has a Marvel Superhero contract east of the Mississippi for a few more years, so don't expect a Marvel-themed area anytime soon.

That being said, I really don't wanna see Carsland come to MGM. Carsland fit with the Route 66 motif at DCA because Route 66 and deserts fit with the California theme. Something like that just doesn't fit the studio theme that Hollywood Studios has.

I'll admit, there is way too much Pixar coming to the Disney parks, but I wouldn't mind seeing another Pixar E-ticket attraction coming to DHS. Maybe that long-rumored Monsters Inc suspended coaster could really come to life.
Artwork - Facebook - Flickr - DeviantART - Instagram -Geauga Lake Reborn! M&M's World - Don't look back as you brave the Black Forest BGW/KD Crowd Calendar

Postby Hilltopper39 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:06 am

coasterfreak101 wrote:Two: I don't know if there's ever been any talk of the Great Movie Ride being retired, but between that building and the Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area, an expansion to Pixar Place could happen (that Monsters Inc. ride in the Movie Ride building, maybe). I'd suggest letting Pixar Place encroach on the Animation Courtyard, but the Walt museum is the first thing outside the Pixar gates, so unless that's getting moved (or incorporated) than that's a no-go - unless they build around the back in those backstage areas.

I would rather see the Great Movie Ride get a massive make over then be retired all together. I still love the concept of that ride, and it has to be a capacity monster. I'd love to see them remove some existing show scenes and add in some new ones from more modern movies like Pirates of the Caribbean, Avengers, Alice in Wonderland, Avatar, whatever. The idea of Captain Jack Sparrow taking over your ride vehicle and traveling through the "movies" with you instead of Mugsy could be a lot of fun.......

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby Stitch_101 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:25 am

coasterfreak101 wrote:Two: I don't know if there's ever been any talk of the Great Movie Ride being retired, but between that building and the Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area, an expansion to Pixar Place could happen (that Monsters Inc. ride in the Movie Ride building, maybe). I'd suggest letting Pixar Place encroach on the Animation Courtyard, but the Walt museum is the first thing outside the Pixar gates, so unless that's getting moved (or incorporated) than that's a no-go - unless they build around the back in those backstage areas.

I've never heard of any talk of retiring the Great Movie Ride. IMO it is a staple of the park, and I would hate to see it replaced. That said, I do think it is need of a total overhaul. While its admirable that they want to honor films from the past, I think it would only help to incorporate more modern films in the ride. I would love to see them go the Spaceship Earth route (in a sense that it shows the evolution of communication) and explore the history and evolution of film threw today and the future. It would be a great way to update the ride and offer more modern fair while honor films of the golden era.

Postby ernierocker » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:44 am

Wasn't there a rumor floating around a while back about them removing the Studio Backlot Tours for future expansion? That would give them a decent amount of land which is adjacent to Toy Story Mania and could allow for a larger Pixar themed land.

Postby Wes » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:52 am

^ That's been floating around forever though. Not sure of the validity.

Postby ernierocker » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:04 pm

^That is true. I just thought I remember the idea picking up some steam more recently.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!