Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1436: Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure news
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby triggernel » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:55 pm

Just saw a post on Facebook. Looks like Universal may have finally received the Golden Ticket for Best Ticket that it deserved! Not sure which one yet, but this has been a long time coming.

EDIT: Looks like it was Forbidden Journey. Great to hear!
Snoochie Boochie

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby kidcoaster 2 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:51 pm

triggernel wrote:EDIT: Looks like it was Forbidden Journey. Great to hear!

Meh, good ride but confusing story... I still think Spiderman is better.

It's hot outside, and I have a headache

Postby SLUSHIE » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:21 pm

I think sometimes the Golden Ticket awards celebrate the newest attractions and technology rather than get into what is actually the best experience.

I do think Spider-man is better as well, and I haven't even been on it since the update.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:16 am

I had the chance on Friday to check out the latest happenings at the Universal Orlando Resort including the adding of thematic elements for Halloween Horror Nights 22, as well as the rapidly growing Jaws replacement and some other miscellaneous items throughout the park.
DSC08778.JPG
Over in New York's Sting Alley several graveyard pieces have been added.
DSC08779.JPG
Can any Horror Nights experts provide us with a backstory for Jonathan Hawthorne?
DSC08781.JPG
It is like the graveyard sprung up from the ground!
DSC08782.JPG
Amity stands for progress!
DSC08784.JPG
The frame for what is rumored to be a Gringotts themed coaster has gone up in just over a week and should continue to be built at a brisk pace.
DSC08785.JPG
Amity stands for dirt!
DSC08786.JPG
The ride building is pretty huge... Comparable to one of the studios, I believe.
DSC08788.JPG
Universal's expansion has actually given up retail and food & beverage space in favor of creating a larger waterfront opposite its new land.
DSC08790.JPG
The new waterfront draws inspiration from the Thames Embankment in London.
DSC08793.JPG
Despite being trimmed down significantly, you can see the old wall lines from Amity's shops and food options that once were.
DSC08794.JPG
More of the graveyard can be found on the other side of the park.
DSC08795.JPG
DSC08796.JPG
These set pieces have a fair share of creative nods to Horror Nights and Universal Studios' past.
DSC08797.JPG
Might we see the Caretaker actually present at the event? I'd imagine not, but it would be neat to see him guarding the graveyard grounds.
DSC08798.JPG
A tribute to the recently demolished Hercules & Xena building...
DSC08799.JPG
Any idea who this is?
DSC08800.JPG
Over at The Simpsons Ride, the front of the Krustyland facades are being reworked to allow for the installation of actual midway games at the front of the queue.
DSC08801.JPG
Plenty of work still to be done.
DSC08802.JPG
DSC08805.JPG
The new games will only annex a small portion of the ride's massive queue.
DSC08806.JPG
This will be a very different view in a few years.
DSC08807.JPG
It was really hard to appreciate just how much land Jaws took up until it was removed.
DSC08809.JPG
Expect to see a lion with a ring in its mouth installed at each of these indents in the columns.
DSC08810.JPG
There's simply no sign of slowing...
DSC08811.JPG
Relocated once again thanks to the construction on the plot of the former Xena building, the Back to the Future Delorean and train have now been given a home in the Central Park section of Universal Studios.
DSC08812.JPG
And the location is really a great one. I'm really glad they preserved these iconic pieces of film history and kept them in the park for guests to see!
DSC08813.JPG
More Halloween Horror Nights decor popping up.
DSC08814.JPG
Doc Brown!
DSC08815.JPG
I'm probably one of the few... But I really love that Universal has kept Doc Brown as a roaming character in the park, despite the significantly decreased presence of Back to the Future in the park after the ride closed in 2007.
DSC08816.JPG
One of the shops in the park recently underwent a slight transformation to allow it to sell Oakley, RayBan and Gucci accessories.
DSC08817.JPG
More props from Horror Nights were put off to the side due to Rock the Universe, but these will soon be placed in the park following the end of the event.
DSC08818.JPG
DSC08819.JPG
More details!
DSC08820.JPG
So there's more to this Hawthorne story...
DSC08821.JPG
DSC08822.JPG
So Jonathan Hawthorne has several tombs?
DSC08823.JPG
Over at the Hard Rock Cafe, the pink cadillac has been replaced with a new guitar that lights up at night.
DSC08824.JPG
It is reportedly designed to be a scale replica of the first item to join the Hard Rock vault, a guitar donated by Eric Clapton.
DSC08826.JPG
Over in the Lost Continent a new wall has been put up, closing off the Frozen Desert and the palm reader's tent.
DSC08829.JPG
It is rumored that this space will be needed to allow for the slight expansion of Hogsmeade to include an actual train station for the Hogwarts Express, which is rumored to link both parks when the Amity expansion is complete.
DSC08830.JPG
Treasures of Poseidon is being slightly reworked to allow for the addition of The Pearl Factory to its retail space.
DSC08831.JPG
That's all folks!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby disneyfan1313 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:54 am

Thanks for the update! It really is almost shocking how quickly they are pushing the expansion along. Thanks also for posting some of the details from the HHN theming - I wonder if there will be a "Collective" level backstory this year.

Postby Wes » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:20 pm

Wow, surprised they're already constructing the building for Gringotts. What's the estimated opening date?

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:43 pm

And at the same time as they're fast-tracking Transformers, too. Lots of construction that should do wonders for this place when it's all finished!
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby tiger01 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:14 pm

After finally visiting the parks I now know where everything is! Before I went I didn't even know there was a lake in Studios. It's nice to be able to know now. :)
I quit my job at the helium factory last week...I refused to be spoken to in that tone!

My newest rct3 park...Marine World [Rct3]

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Vince the Floridian » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:27 pm

All these Hawthorne gravestones appear to be re-used props from a house last year aptly titled Winter's Night: The Haunting of Hawthorne Cemetery.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mrlittle » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:12 pm

It is pretty cool how fast there building everything. It's like they have the money now so why sit on it and just build like crazy. One of these years, I will make a trip to HHN.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!