Six Flags Fiesta Texas (SFFT) Discussion Thread

P. 675 - Dare Devil Dive Flying Machines for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Bonafide Donkey Expert

Re: Six Flags Fiesta Texas (SFFT) Discussion Thread

Postby texcoaster » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:07 am

With all the talk of the new version of Rattler, I thought I'd post some pics of the old version. Not the crappy version of late, but some pics from opening day.
Rattler 7.jpeg
Gates just opened and everyone headed for the huge beast down the hill. Unfortunately, FiestaTX had media day DURING opening day and trains dispatched at about one every 5-10 minutes. Reports later that day said that folks who didn't get there early had a 5+ hour wait. I was halfway up the zig-zag ramp and still waited 2 hours.
Rattler 8.jpeg
The original drop with the rockslide shed over it. It's hard to tell from the pic, but NOBODY has their hands up. Lots of folks did at the top of the hill, though!
Rattler 3.jpeg
Rattler's infamous drop was altered from the original design because of the TxGiant/Hercules lawsuit. See, TxGiant was the tallest wood coaster, Hercules had a longer drop due to terrain. Both parks wanted to claim "world's biggest woodie." FTx, in order to claim the title with no chance of argument, extended the structure of the first drop over the cliff so that one single support would go from the bottom of the ravine to the top of the structure. Thus, they had the tallest structure AND the longest drop, instead of just the longest drop. This changed the shape of the drop, making it a bit steeper and making the subtle twisting that created the "whiplash" issue with riders that eventually became the drop's undoing.
Rattler 5.jpeg
Here you can see how the need to extend over the cliff wall before making the drop created the twists. At the top of the lift, the track curves left and then is extended (where the four flags are) beyond the angle the drop needs to thread the track halfway down. It angles right then at the point under the cross track, angles left again. Just past the visible part of the pic, it angles right again to hug the bottom of the quarry wall. Iron Rattler solves this issue by putting a zig-zag track at the bottom of the drop, allowing a straighter plunge to the bottom, hopefully avoiding the hungry lawyers in the process.
Rattler 4.jpeg
Here, the original double-down of the horseshoe turn is shown in all its glory. Iron Rattler looks to be re-establishing this profile, but with the addition of overbanked turns at the top and at the midpoint where it dives over the cliff edge. Should be good!
Rattler 6.jpeg
Second half of the original horseshoe drop. It's not difficult at all to imagine this as an overbanked turn.
Rattler 2.jpeg
Entrance to the tunnel, which looks to be largely kept intact in the new version. Easier to see how the bottom of the first drop twists back in toward the quarry wall here.
Rattler 1.jpeg
Opening-day riders enter the tunnel for the first time. Again, notice the lack of hands-up riders!
Rattler.jpeg
Rattler enters the final helix after the station fly-by. I've heard some folks say that the final helix will be included in Iron Rattler's layout, but screenshots from the SFFT video seem to point to it going right into the brakes after the tunnel. Time will tell. I'm hoping for the fly-by and the helix!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mrlittle » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:23 am

That's pretty cool to see the original Rattler. I think I finally understand why the drop was so forceful. Thanks for the cool photos.

I'm sure Iron Rattler will not disappoint in bringing back some of the former glory of the original Rattler.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby texcoaster » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:34 am

Make no mistake, as awesome as the one-two punch of the first drop and horseshoe turn were and as good as the tunnel drop was, the Rattler as a whole always felt like it could've been, should've been much better. Much of that sentiment had to do with the helix, or as a late friend called it, "Le Monstre plateau".

I saw Rattler as the coaster equivalent of a really hot, nasty sleepover date: Wild, crazy, rough, dangerous times followed by a period of sleeping, followed by a slightly lesser version of the nastiness from before.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby disneyfan1313 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:15 pm

Great opening day photos - thank you!!! It is great to see such good quality ones!

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby gforce1994 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:42 pm

texcoaster wrote:With all the talk of the new version of Rattler, I thought I'd post some pics of the old version. Not the crappy version of late, but some pics from opening day.

Wait a dang second? How did the turn around differ from the original?
Top Coasters in America:
1. Bizarro 2. El Toro 3. Beast
4. Former Son of Beast (No Joke- if you got the right seat!)
5. New Texas Giant

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby texcoaster » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:29 pm

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/files/rattler.jpg

^Here's a shot showing how the horseshoe turnaround lost the double-down element in later years. Compare that to the pics I posted today and it's a pretty dramatic change, completely altering the ride experience on that section.

Postby Wes » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:42 pm

Awesome pictures! This ride's design and subsequent re-profiles are very interesting. Hopefully RMC gets it back into proper shape.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:02 pm

To add to this coverage, I fetched (Arf! Arf!) a video showing an on-ride POV of what Rattler was like when it opened - and I'm sure it was ten times worse than what it was the day before they closed it.

Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Follow me on Instagram for perfectly adequate theme park photos!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby IronWolfman » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:04 pm

OH MY GOSH.....

That is, by definition, equivalent to the thankfully non-existent idea of a TOGO mega wooden coaster.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ernierocker » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:51 pm

Those retro photos just make me even more excited for Iron Rattler! And seriously, what was with those horrible transitions on the helices?!?!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!