TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

Forget everything else, it's all about the mirror-portal-thing; it's freaking amazing!

Seriously. How is this done?

I have a feeling that it is a mirror door that part of the door is covered up by the wall... then when the frame gets bigger to the full door size it opens up into the next room.

The part that throws me is the cut in the mirror to have two doors is not noticeable at all...

Curse you Disney for doing these crazy things and not telling us how!!!!

^I don't think it is two doors. It looks to me like the door opening is a projected effect, not two doors actually opening.

This seems like a larger scale version of how Shariki disappears at ToT in Tokyo: lights go out, "mirror" quickly moves out of way.

Edited by Jew

^I don't think it is two doors. It looks to me like the door opening is a projected effect, not two doors actually opening.

This seems like a larger scale version of how Shariki disappears at ToT in Tokyo: lights go out, "mirror" quickly moves out of way.

How does Shariki disappear? Where does he go?

While I'm obviously not the target audience for a Belle meet and greet this whole experience looks pretty amazing. I'd love to see Disney adapt this type of next gen meet n greet attraction to other characters like Captain Jack Sparrow or maybe even some of the Star Wars characters like Darth Vader for the male audience. I could see a similar experience for those characters working really well.

Edited by Hilltopper39

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/09/a-sip-of-lefous-brew-from-gastons-tavern-in-new-fantasyland-at-magic-kingdom-park/

We think this signature beverage will be a big hit at Gaston’s Tavern when New Fantasyland opens later this year – LeFou’s Brew, named after Gaston’s sidekick in “Beauty and the Beast.” It’s no-sugar added frozen apple juice with a hint of toasted marshmallow, topped with all-natural passion fruit-mango foam. We bet the souvenir steins and goblets are going to go fast. (And, yes, if it sounds familiar, guests at Cars Land at the Disneyland Resort may have tasted the frozen concoction at the Cozy Cone.)

gtc809172LARGE.jpg.fb169fec4cf31768660be32beb45c934.jpg

The quick-service restaurant, created to look like a comfy lodge in the English countryside, will be a great place to escape from the Florida sun. Outside is a statue of Gaston hoisting two kegs of his favorite brew; inside he’s center stage in a big portrait over the fireplace.

The signature sweet at Gaston’s, by the way, is warm, gooey cinnamon rolls, served all day.

^ Damn, the answer to Butterbeer sounds delicious.

I'd love to see Disney adapt this type of next gen meet n greet attraction to other characters like Captain Jack Sparrow or maybe even some of the Star Wars characters like Darth Vader for the male audience. I could a similar experience for those characters working really well.

Completely agree with this!

I'd love to see Disney adapt this type of next gen meet n greet attraction to other characters like Captain Jack Sparrow or maybe even some of the Star Wars characters like Darth Vader for the male audience.

Or the movie that just made them $1.5 billion.

avengers-poster-street-thumb.jpg.b3c4d22a799b3be67b2492a1f97142fd.jpg

Forget everything else, it's all about the mirror-portal-thing; it's freaking amazing!

Seriously. How is this done?

Spent some time looking at this.. The way the mirror turns into a door seems to work like this- The top and sides of the mirror's frame has nothing behind it and only moves the width of the frame to open up. The frame gets longer and extends using the stretching room effect at haunted mansion. The bottom of the frame falls into the floors and the piece of wood (chair rail) that separates the portrait is used to make this effect less noticable.. The projection is just your run of the mill digital projection on fast moving scrim.. The "prototype" version of this effect was first used by WDI as the entrance to the parks section of the original D23. I'm sure there are photos of it floating around.

Is the mirror seamed or it does it just pull away after the projected effect while the mirror is dark? If you look at the reflection of the lamp in the top center (while the door opens) it actually looks like the mirror is seamed. Though as a practical effect it just makes sense to project the doors opening and then pull the mirror away while it is dark.

Edit here's a video of the D23 version

Funny how they copied Universal with those drinks. It doesn't even make all that much sense. Butterbeer is a drink from the books specifically. This is just fake beer for the sake of having a themed drink.

I don't think it's fake beer for the sake of having a drink. It was a pub serving beer in the movie. They all dance and sing about drinking beer. It's the Magic Kingdom so they can't put alcohol so they're doing a fake drink but for a reason. I'm sure the success of Butterbeer helped this get approved, but it's not fake.