TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I don't get it. Whats the point of stopping the ride in the tunnel?

I think I'd rather they invested this money in Log Jammer to keep it around, as well as improving other operations around the park. This is nothing like I thought it would be. A longer ride duration may have made me a bigger fan of this ride, as it looks like a lot of good kinetic energy is being lost.

Guess we'll see!

If it didn't stop in the tunnel, it still would have needed to be launched again to make it over the tophat. I like the idea of the backwards launch. It's going to catch a lot of people off guard. And looks like it will provide some interesting hangtime from the back row.

I think there is going to be much more than loop, dive-loop thing, second launch, top-hat, done.

Well damn.

While I hoped for more, this still looks pretty impressive. That loop is going to look nuts compared to the first modern loop ever on Revolution. And yeah, seeing the ride in it's true form makes the stop and 2nd launch look super pointless. That top-hat however looks like the best airtime hill anyone could ever ask for.

The graphics/typography and music in the video is... interesting.

Edited by SLUSHIE

Well, I am glad I kept my expectations low. More or less, this coaster is centralized around that signature element and the coaster could be much longer. The layout could have easily came out of that top hat and banked down to the left and entered a few more airtime hills or hugging the terrain with some more nice banking, but as it stands it ends as, if not more, abruptly than Kingda Ka. It seems that you will be launched at a nice speed out of that tunnel but all of the energy is lost with brakes that start on the descent of the top hat. Regardless, it does look fun and I will be renewing my season pass.

Edited by Pacificoaster

The top hat at 160 feet on the outside of the loop, pretty interesting, nobody has ever thought of doing this before? I just hope not too many people are let down since a lot were expecting more but in the end it's going to be a really fun ride, that's all that matters to me anyway and it will draw the crowds, which is what matters to the park. I think it's unique, and thrilling and fun and I just don't think people should be upset about it. Yeah maybe it should have been longer and it would have been better with several airtime hills but this is what they are putting in. The front of the park is going to look really cool with Revolution's, Tatsu's, and now Full Throttle's loops right there.

Hey, at least it just has lap bars!

But it looks like in the back you could have three times of hanging time. Going through the Diveloop forwards and backwards are 1 and 2 and the 3th is the Top-Hat. But what's with the YOLO in the start? Come on SFMM your better then that. Kinda like the idea of showing Revolution in the announcement has some sort of thought in it.

main_LAFullThrottle.jpg.2c19af5b453c3d6714eaf62a6a61be0e.jpg

Full Throttle: The World’s Tallest and Fastest Looping Coaster

FullThrottle01_8x10_300dpi.thumb.jpg.ae744f8923be460bf612b4badd828296.jpg

FullThrottle02_8x10_300dpi.thumb.jpg.423af9bfb9b22536bd13cf0b427984ae.jpg

In 2013 Six Flags Magic Mountain is going Full Throttle with another world-record: the tallest, fastest looping roller coaster in the world! Unlike traditional coasters, this unique, one-of-a-kind triple launch coaster will take the coaster experience to the next generation with a never-been-done-before launch up and over a “Top Hat” that traces the outside of a world-record 160-foot loop — plus a zero to 70 miles-per-hour acceleration on two forward launches and one backward launch into and out of an underground tunnel.

Your record-breaking adventure will take place through the park’s distinctive mountainous terrain onboard sleek trains that suddenly accelerate from zero to 70 miles-per-hour in the first of three launches, sending you blasting through the first inversion, the inside of the world-record 160-foot tall loop. You’ll then enter into a high-banked curve to the right and then to the left as you approach the second gut-wrenching inversion — a Dive Loop that rapidly drops you into a dark underground tunnel. After a brief stop, you’ll suddenly be launched backwards up to the high point of the Dive Loop where you’ll be dropped and magnetically launched a third time, racing out of the tunnel and through a high G-turn to the left. You’ll then shoot up and over the outside of the World Record loop, where you’ll experience significant air time and a breath-taking view of the park as you drop back down to Earth, rapidly decelerating and taking the final 180-degree turn to the left, returning to the station where you can catch your breath.

Full Throttle will be located near the front of the park in a newly themed five-acre section where guests will experience high-energy action through fast-paced imagery, sound and lights. With this addition, Six Flags Magic Mountain, the Thrill Capital of the World, firmly holds the coveted “Coaster Capital of the World” crown — with a total of 18 roller coasters — more than any other theme park on the planet.

“Six Flags is known world-wide as the industry leader in next generation thrills. And, bar none, Six Flags Magic Mountain leads the pack, offering the biggest and the best … always,” said Bonnie Rabjohn, Six Flags Magic Mountain park president. “As we mark our 42nd anniversary of operation, we’re ready to take Southern California by storm, yet again, with the most comprehensive collection of thrilling roller coasters anywhere in the world.”

Full Throttle is the perfect addition to the park’s coaster collection, joining other adrenaline-pumping coasters, including Tatsu — the tallest, fastest and longest flying coaster in the world; X2 — the world’s first and only 5th dimensional coaster; Apocalypse — the next generation of wooden coasters; and Goliath — the “giant among giants” mega coaster.

EDIT: The following was announced during the 2013 Six Flags conference call:

"No rides are planned to be closed during the construction of Full Throttle"

"Full Throttle will run two trains with 18 riders each."

Edited by robbalvey

I'm stoked! This ride looks like pure adrenaline! The coasters themselves look pretty sleek and the top hat looks to pull some serious airtime! Capacity (18 seater) may not be that bad, seeing how quickly the next coaster is launched as shown in the last part of the video. Great addition to the 'thrill park' lineup, but still have hope for that all elusive giga (most airtime hills and longest coaster) to complete the park.

Looks like a huge waste of momentum, but other than that, seems pretty cool. The only thing I truely hate is how the ride ends right after the top hat. A helix or something would've been cool. At least people can stop complaining about "No airtime".

I don't know whether to love (because its funny) or hate the corny tagline and logo.

"Live it. Be it. Ride it."

Lol. This ride is trying to somehow communicate with people in the 80s.

On a side note, normal Season passes are only $65, pretty cool. The gold pass is $115, so that went up and the normal pass went down. $50 extra seems like a lot for free parking unless you go all the time and don't know a better place to park...

Edited by SLUSHIE

So it's basically a launched version of Scream in terms of intensity and theme, which fits the return to the "Xtreme Park" ways that has been observed over the last year or so.

While it's not overly eye-popping and won't really make any inroads whatsoever in terms of SFMM's ability to compete in its market, it should make for a fun ride. Nice to see the old Tunnel Station finally used again.

It's the return of the Flying Snake Dive! It's about time! Granted, it looks like a Premier and not an Intamin, but OMG FLYING SNAKE DIVE . And at least they can run multiple trains (Not that they will. Come on, it's Magic Mountain we're talking about here ), hopefully increasing capacity.

They lost me at "YOLO."

What is wrong with the world these days?

The backwards launch seems kind of weird in the middle of the circuit, but interesting. Looks like a solid ride, glad to see Premier regularly building major coasters again, hopefully there are back to stay.

"Newly themed 5-acre section"

^I'm more curious about how this will turn out.

"....where guests will experience high-energy action through fast-paced imagery, sound and lights."

Yes, this is interesting. Considering the amount of space Log Jammer took.

I already can see this is the hottest thread of SF right now. I have taken my time to let the shortness of the track sink in and have learned to appreciate the ride as for it it. The Top-hat loop looks amazing that must be said. Anybody any idea on how fast we could hit the brakes? I don't know the the proper formula for it.

I'm assuming when they say the 'fastest looping coaster' they mean literally the fastest coaster that has a real loop?

Because unless I'm totally off base, there are other coasters that go upside down that go faster than 70mph. Heck, Six Flags even announced another coaster today that goes 70mph and has an inversion!!! (Iron Rattler)

Didn't Alpengeist claim 70mph at one point?

I like it, I think its going to be very fun....but I agree with everyone else about its length....has MM decided to only do short coasters from now on....was this that expensive that they couldnt have made it longer(same goes for Apocalypse)?