TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I can see that happening having an announcement made for a new ride for the year 2014.

Pro TIp: If you are a regional (and not a destination) theme park, you only announce next year's improvements. There is no upside to making people think, " I should probably wait for 2 years for that ride" when the vast majority of park visitors are only there for the day.

What the enthusiasts thinks great adventure needs - " The world biggest drop tower" as six flags might be the only major park in the chain that doesn't have a drop tower at all.

What the general public thinks great adventure needs -Bigger entertainment and family "experience" options for the non riders and families with young children.

What six flags local management thinks they need- Big capacity at hurricane harbor.

What we will actually see announced tomorrow...... ?

main_NJSafariOffRoad.jpg.7de6274c931cfacc7990ad472a4dcb20.jpg

Safari Off Road Adventure

Get ready to go on an exotic off-road adventure

In 2013, New Jersey’s Six Flags Great Adventure entertainment complex will undergo its most dramatic transformation in 13 years as the 160-acre theme park and 350-acre Wild Safari animal park unite as one property to become the world’s largest theme park. The mega-park, will introduce the new, one-of-a-kind, themed attraction — Safari Off Road Adventure. At Six Flags Hurricane Harbor, water-thrill seekers will challenge a massive, new slide complex — Big Wave Racer.

Boasting 1,200 animals from six continents (including lions, tigers, rhinos, and many more), Safari Off Road Adventure will take you on the most intense, up-close animal experience of your life. First you will enter the amazing, fictional world of the Wilds Family, who have traveled the globe to bring the most interesting and exotic creatures to their home in Jackson, New Jersey. Once through the rustic loading station filled with artifacts from the Wilds’ global journeys, you will hop onto a rugged, open-air, Safari vehicle with 34 other explorers to begin your wild adventure.

Skilled, informed drivers will drive you off-road and up close to the animals as they splash through ponds, climb hills, cross bridges and venture over rugged terrain.

“Never before have guests been able to experience a journey so close to that of a true African safari here in the U.S.,” said John Fitzgerald, park president. “By combining the world’s most exotic animals with Six Flags’ signature entertainment, the Safari Off Road Adventure will be the most incredible animal adventure anywhere. Where else can you ride a wave, go on safari, and soar on world-record breaking coasters?”

When the Wild Safari closes its gates for the 2012 season September 30, it will undergo a massive renovation this winter that includes a redesign of various simulated natural habitats and the creation of Camp Aventura.

Camp Aventura will be the main stop along the off-road excursion. Here you will get to see some of the Wild family’s favorite animals up-close, and even hand-feed or pet them. You can also choose to fly through the air high above the animals on a new zip line for an additional fee.

Safari Off Road Adventure is included with general theme park admission and season passes in 2013, and will be accessible via the Frontier Adventures section of the theme park. Through September 30, 2012, guests will be able to drive their own vehicles through the Wild Safari for the very last time in the park’s 38-year history.

“This is a monumental change for the Wild Safari and our guests,” said Dr. Bill Rives, safari director and chief veterinarian. “For nearly 40 years, people have dreamed of more up-close animal experiences with fewer boundaries, and now we can truly deliver a VIP experience to each and every one of our guests — and it’s included in their theme park admission.”

Safari Off Road Adventure is slated for a Memorial Day weekend debut in 2013.

main_NJWPBigWaveRacer.jpg.ef5c7c88df1fc4030ec8e1c8156b8c78.jpg

Big Wave Racer!

Six Flags Hurricane Harbor Introduces Eighth Slide Complex

Get ready to race head-first down 1,800 feet of slide on an aero-dynamically-designed water toboggan. In summer 2013 at Six Flags Hurricane Harbor, you will be able to challenge your friends and family to an extreme race on a massive, new slide complex — Big Wave Racer. This new 4-story tall complex will feature multiple lanes that will send you and your competitors barreling head-first down several steep drops before crossing the finish line.

Big Wave Racer is slated for a summer 2013 opening and will be the eighth slide complex at Hurricane Harbor, pushing the number of thrill slides to more than 25. The 45-acre water park also features a million-gallon wave pool, a half-mile lazy river and a large children’s water playground.

Edited by robbalvey

I'm absolutely thrilled. I've always wanted to drive through the Safari but I didn't want to risk damaging the car. The fact that it's becoming a free add-on is outstanding! Great job Six Flags (did I just say that?), this attraction is going to have mass appeal.

Six Flags took something that used to be an upcharge and made it free, and they're keeping Bizarro! I can't possibly see how anyone can complain about this.

So let the complaining begin

^ I see no reason to complain. The only problems could possibly foresee people complaining about is if they raise the park ticket price. Taking something that was a separate paid attraction for the company and combining it with another separate paid park, in many ways looks like your are losing money not raising the ticket prices. You would think from a business standpoint, the logical thing to do would be to raise prices to offset the lose in revenue that comes from making it one park. Not to mention the amount of money that goes into feeding, housing, providing medical care, and so much more for the animals. Of course, I hope the ticket prices stay the same, and this is just me saying "what if", but I certainly wouldn't be overly surprised if they desided to.

^ I see no reason to complain. The only problems could possibly foresee people complaining about is if they raise the park ticket price. Taking something that was a separate paid attraction for the company and combining it with another separate paid park, in many ways looks like your are losing money not raising the ticket prices. You would think from a business standpoint, the logical thing to do would be to raise prices to offset the lose in revenue that comes from making it one park. Not to mention the amount of money that goes into feeding, housing, providing medical care, and so much more for the animals. Of course, I hope the ticket prices stay the same, and this is just me saying "what if", but I certainly wouldn't be overly surprised if they desided to.

I could see there being complaints about how you now have to buy admission to the park to access the Safari, but those comments will most likely be made by GP who always try to find something to complain about.

From the way they're sounding, they plan on constructing a whole new entrance with a path goin over to it. If so, sounds like it would fit perfectly either near Bizarro or have it run parallel to El Toro next to that pond/swamp.

Having only did the safari once, this really is effective at getting me to go back and try this out next year, especially the new zip-line. My question is what are they going to do with the old entrance and the few buildings next to it?

It's making big news even here in Chicago that NJ will be the world's biggest theme park, now Even the clueless neighbors and my parents have brought it to my attention.

Six Flags will take it if they can, and run with it. But ... I guess that's what they do. It *WILL* sell more tickets for them, period.

Kinda like Great America being the "cleanest theme park in the world" and Hurricane Harbor being the "best water park in the country!" Of course, that potentially opens up a whole discussion on ratings lists, favorites, Golden Tickets, etc, etc, etc...

So they originally said big, bigger, biggest...did I miss the "big" part? I assume the water park addition and the safari re-do make up the latter two. Is the zip-line the big? I'll actually go through the safari now that it's a ride, although I can't imagine how good it will be. I have zero expectations. At least I can use the zip-line (if it doesn't cost $50).

I find it strange SFMM is getting another coaster. I feel like SF ignores a lot of their properties; they ought to just sell a few of the lesser properties to private developers or something.