Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

P. 124: Carnevale at Maria & Enzo's Ristorante details!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

Postby SharkTums » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:24 am

It does look a little 'Vegas'!

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:02 pm

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/08/swampys-walt-disney-world-resort-dream-vacation/

If you love to play mobile games, like my son and husband do, you’re in for a treat today. Our new pal Swampy, from the free Disney mobile game “Where’s My Water?,” is off to Walt Disney World Resort!

In the game, players help Swampy the Alligator get clean water for a shower by digging tunnels and connecting pipes. But the game just got more exciting: there’s now a hidden level inspired by Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon, featuring a variety of pipes with twists and turns, plus three different choices of two black pipes down which the player can send the water.

Tip: You can access the Typhoon Lagoon level at any time. Just look at the bottom of the collection screen for the inner tube icon and tap it to unlock the secret level inspired by the water park.

To download the app or to find out more about “Where’s My Water,” click here.
sdv928205LARGE.jpg
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Postby Wes » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:23 pm

He already looks like the mascot from Blizzard Beach.
1251894965_7bf4b9e617.jpg
(dunno who these people are)

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:58 am

And moving on to the last of my Walt Disney World update... The rest of Walt Disney World!
DSC07481.JPG
Over in the Contemporary Resort, new RFID card readers have been installed as a test run for tying credit cards to the guests' room keys.
DSC07482.JPG
Over in Downtown Disney, visible work continues on developing the former Virgin Megastore building to become Splitsville.
DSC07484.JPG
This definitely isn't a minor undertaking.
DSC07486.JPG
Additions to the building's floorspace have already been completed as evidenced by this new section that juts out from the building.
DSC07490.JPG
Another open section of Splitsville is visible.
DSC07493.JPG
DSC07495.JPG
DSC07515.JPG
After the incident with Ocean Park's tethered balloon by Aerophile, Characters in Flight was removed to undergo safety testing and enhancements.
DSC07516.JPG
No established return date has been announced at this time.
DSC07518.JPG
DSC07520.JPG
DSC07521.JPG
An unobstructed view of Saratoga Springs from the Pleasure Island bridge.
DSC07529.JPG
Work continues on the upgraded volcano for Rainforest Cafe.
DSC07530.JPG
A small section of the princess section inside World of Disney has been walled off, presumably to make room for the D-Tech Me's princess figurine setup.
DSC07737.JPG
The top floor of the Grand Floridian Disney Vacation Club expansion has been completed.
DSC07738.JPG
DSC07857.JPG
The same number of floors at the Grand Floridian's original wings, it will be interesting to see how well the new buildings matches up with the look of the older ones.
DSC07858.JPG
DSC07861.JPG
DSC07862.JPG
Plenty of work still to be done!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:48 pm

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/08/celebrate-the-great-irish-hooley-at-raglan-road-august-31-september-3-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

This Labor Day weekend, guests at Downtown Disney here at Walt Disney World Resort can celebrate The Great Irish Hooley at Raglan Road August 31 – September 3.

A traditional Irish social celebration – or “hooley” – combines music, entertainment and interactive fun for the whole family. Raglan Road’s event will offer a mix of Irish bands, Irish dance workshops, structured set dancing known as the Ceili (pronounced kay-lee), Celtic face-painting and Irish food.

The four-day party kicks off Friday, August 31 at 5 p.m. and continues through midnight Monday, September 3. The entertainment lineup includes six top Irish bands and a troupe of acclaimed dancers, including Elevation, the U2 Tribute Band; Raglan Road’s house band Creel; and more.

On Saturday, Sunday and Monday, guests can participate in Irish dance workshops with renowned Irish dancer and choreographer Ronan McCormack of the original Riverdance cast and the Raglan Road Dancers. Ronan will chart and demonstrate the origins and traditional styles of Irish Dance through to the contemporary styles of dance made famous by Riverdance. And on each of those three afternoons, guests can step up for a two-hour Ceili (kay-lee) – a traditional music and structured set-dancing event that was the precursor to today’s popular country line dancing.

If it’s anything like Disney Parks Blog author Gary Buchanan’s recent dance lesson, it’s sure to be a blast!

gih223023LARGE-600x400.jpg
Celebrate The Great Irish Hooley at Downtown Disney with the U2 Tribute Band, Elevation

gih330310LARGE-308x465.jpg
Participate in Irish Dance Workshops with Renowned Irish Dancer and Choreographer Ronan McCormack of the Original Riverdance Cast and the Raglan Road Dancers

gih440130LARGE-600x397.jpg
Celebrate The Great Irish Hooley at Raglan Road in Downtown Disney

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/08/a-behind-the-scenes-look-at-d-tech-me-princess-in-world-of-disney-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

The D-Tech Me Princess experience officially opened yesterday in the World of Disney at Downtown Disney Marketplace. My fellow author Erin Catalano recently gave you a first look at the experience on the Disney Parks Blog. I’ve been involved with creating this project for more than a year now. I love how this experience uses state-of-the-art technology to create a unique and personalized keepsake from Disney Parks.

I recently partnered with our Imagineering scientists at the Disney Research labs to create a short behind-the-scenes video of this experience. The video highlights the entire process – from capturing an image using the world’s highest-resolution, single-shot 3D face scanner to creating the final princess figurine using a high resolution 3D printer. It’s amazing!

Reservations are strongly recommended for this limited-time experience and can be made by calling 407-WDW-TECH (407-939-8324).

Please note: Guests must be between 3-12 years of age to participate. Children must be accompanied by an adult at least 18 years of age or older during the entire experience. A valid accepted credit card number is required at time of booking. No-shows or in the event a reservation is cancelled within 48 hours of scheduled experience will result in such credit card being charged a $25 cancellation fee. The experience, due to its personalized nature, is non-refundable and not eligible for an exchange. Certain restrictions apply. All prices, components and information are subject to change or cancellation without notice.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:53 pm

^That doll would look less creepy if it were encased in carbonite.

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:14 am

http://www.businessinsider.com/exclusive-interview-with-disneys-page-pierce-inside-disneys-new-luxury-community-golden-oak-2012-8

As Pursuitist fans know, I’m a big admirer of Walt Disney. Not only am I inspired by the work of Disney, but I also have great family connections with the parks — my family has appeared in Disney TV ads and has been featured nightly at the “Magic, Memories, and You!” projection show on Disney’s Cinderella Castle. However, when we received our invite to visit Disney’s Golden Oak, their new luxury community, the destination exceeded our expectations (See our initial review, impressions and photos of Disney’s Golden Oak here).

Quality. From Walt Disney movies, theme parks to the Golden Oak project, Disney is all about the quality. Quality that includes amazing experiences, being exceptional and not cutting corners. These themes thrive at Golden Oak. The attention to detail at their new luxury community is remarkable — they take quality and “plus it.” They take something great and make it even better. Plussing.

The Pursuitist had the opportunity to chat with Page Pierce, the vice president of Disney’s Golden Oak. Learn how the Disney tradition of “plussing” is at home within Golden Oak.

Q. How long has the plan for Golden Oak been in the works?
A. The concept of a luxury home development for guests with a high affinity for Walt Disney World began to take shape in 2005, and was announced as Golden Oak in June 2010. Around that same time, Four Seasons approached Disney about opening a hotel near our theme parks in Florida. Disney Imagineers went to work to create the designs and plans for what is now Golden Oak at Walt Disney World Resort.

Q. How is Golden Oak unique compared to other experiences at WDW?
A. This is the first time that families have had the opportunity to actually live at Disney. Additionally, through something we call the Disney Connection, Golden Oak homebuyers have access to VIP passes that provide admission for the pass-holder and up to four guests to eight Disney parks and attractions with no block-out dates. Other amenities include door-to-park transportation, merchandise discounts and free parking.

Q. At the end of the year, how many homes will be built?
A. We are very excited by the progress at Golden Oak. About a dozen families have moved into the community as of July, with even more on the horizon. When complete, Golden Oak will encompass 450 homes across 980 acres.

Q. Tell us about the Club House, what will be benefits for your residents?
A. Summerhouse, the private club for Golden Oak homeowners, is now open, offering residents and their guests exclusive access to lounge areas, a lap and family pool, a game room and state-of-the-art fitness facilities. The Resident Services team is based at Summerhouse, providing guests with concierge-style assistance – from making dinner reservations to arranging VIP park tour guides and door-to-park transportation. When fully operational, Summerhouse will feature food and beverage accommodations in both indoor and outdoor dining areas.

Q. Seriously, you will have concierge garbage pick-up?
A. Yes! Residents don’t need to worry about hauling their garbage out to the curb – we’ll take care of it.

Q. How will Golden Oak residents take advantage of the Parks?
A. Homebuyers who close on the purchase of a home before the end of this year will receive a complimentary three-year Golden Oak VIP pass that provides access for the passholder and four guests to eight Disney World parks and attractions, including Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom, Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, DisneyQuest and ESPN Wide World of Sports. Residents can also enjoy no blackout dates, free parking, door-to-park transportation, and more as part of the Disney Connection.

Q. When will the Four Seasons resort open — and what will be some shared luxuries?
A. The Four Seasons is anticipated to open in 2014 and will offer Golden Oak residents multiple dining options and access to luxury spa amenities.
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:15 am.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:35 pm

All I wanted before was to live in Celebration.

Now I have to add another million to those home prices. But one of these will be mine!
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:17 pm

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/09/amc-downtown-disney-24-at-walt-disney-world-resort-offers-monthly-sensory-friendly-shows-geared-toward-autistic-guests/

Did you know that select AMC Theatres now offer “sensory friendly” film-going experiences for guests with autism? And it just so happens that our theater here at Walt Disney World Resort, AMC Downtown Disney 24, is one of those locations.

During a sensory friendly showing, theater lights are turned up, sound is reduced and audience members are welcome to talk or get up and move during the show.

The program was initiated at the AMC Columbia Mall 14 theater in Columbia, Maryland, where a request from a parent of an autistic child inspired a screening attended by more than 300 parents and children.

Upcoming shows at AMC Downtown Disney 24 at Walt Disney World Resort are:
  • “Finding Nemo” – September 22
  • “Frankenweenie” – October 13
  • “Wreck-It Ralph” – November 10
  • “Rise of the Guardians” – December 8
All sensory-friendly shows take place at 10 a.m. Dates and films are subject to change.
sfs980234.jpg

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:09 am

^Very cool that they are doing this. I'm sure the parents and kids really appreciate it!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!