TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Marineland Discussion Thread

Also, keep in mind we're talking about a nation that still legally allows up to 400,00 harp seals to be clubbed to death each year. And yet some "enthusiasts" are more concerned about boycotting "fastlane" procedures instead.

What was the point with this comment? I'm not sure what the seal hunt has to do with the horrible conditions reported at Marineland.

I understand where you're going with the fact that people protest silly things when there are much larger issues going on in the world (Fastlane vs inhumanely killing animals). But take a step back and read that comment. This discussion is about a Canadian family/owner not treating animals properly in an aquarium-type setting. It comes off as though you're saying "why expect more from them when Canadians (the nation) allow seals to be clubbed to death each year?"

I'm done now. I'm sorry if this came across the wrong way. I'll return to the Canada's Wonderland thread where I belong.

I'll explain. He wasn't trashing Canadians. It's not something to take personally. It was a comment to say that people (not just Canadians) are more worried about irrelevant things in life (like Fastlane) as opposed to real issues (like the seal hunts). It wasn't bashing you or your fellow country-people. Simmer down.

Also, keep in mind we're talking about a nation that still legally allows up to 400,00 harp seals to be clubbed to death each year. And yet some "enthusiasts" are more concerned about boycotting "fastlane" procedures instead.

What was the point with this comment? I'm not sure what the seal hunt has to do with the horrible conditions reported at Marineland.

I understand where you're going with the fact that people protest silly things when there are much larger issues going on in the world (Fastlane vs inhumanely killing animals). But take a step back and read that comment. This discussion is about a Canadian family/owner not treating animals properly in an aquarium-type setting. It comes off as though you're saying "why expect more from them when Canadians (the nation) allow seals to be clubbed to death each year?"

I'm done now. I'm sorry if this came across the wrong way. I'll return to the Canada's Wonderland thread where I belong.

It's in reference to this statement from the original article:

There are no government regulations for sea mammal captivity in Canada.The Canadian Association of Zoos and Aquariums, a self-regulating industry association, first licensed Marineland in 2007 and national director Bill Peters says there have been no complaints. Its licence was renewed for five years at the end of September 2011, after a summer inspection by a CAZA team of experts.

It seems rather apparent that Canadian zoos and aquariums aren't exactly held to very high standards. "Self-regulating industry association" screams "we'll look out for each other as long as everyone's making money." And with a government that still legally allows up to 400,000 harp seals to be clubbed to death each year, how can anyone expect drastic penalties, or even change to come about regarding Marineland's horrid conditions?

That's what my statement meant. Sorry I needed to spell it out.

It seems rather apparent that Canadian zoos and aquariums aren't exactly held to very high standards.

While the governmental regulations in Canadia may not be as strong as they are in the USA, I still think the public senitiment to animals remains the same.

Marineland is more of a case of business missmanagement than it is of the government taking a blind eye.

The park's bathrooms' are located 8 miles apart from each other.The food stands open at 1:00pm in the afternoon (the park closes at 7) . It's like a real life version of someone losing at Roller Coaster Tycoon. The park promotes attractions and doesn't build them 10 years later. The brochure warns you "If darnkness occurs, leave immediately".

The owner clearly does not have a grasp on "business 101" and , sadly, since this is an animal based park, the animals suffer for it.

After personally visiting the park, I've come to the conclusion that this article, and the apparent condition of the animals, is the owners' fault on a micro level and not a macro issue amongst Canadians.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1242880---everyone-loves-marineland-singer-wants-her-voice-pulled-from-commercials

‘Everyone loves Marineland!’ singer wants voice pulled from commercials

Suzie McNeil, the Toronto singer who voiced the Marineland jingle, wants her voice pulled from the ubiquitous commercials.

“I need to get the tag line replaced with ‘all the whales haaaaate... Marineland!’” McNeil tweeted Wednesday.

The singer posted the statement after former Marineland employees told the Star of poor water conditions, chronic short-staffing and repeated instances of animal suffering at the park.

The singer signed over the rights to her performance of the song when she penned a contract with Marineland in 2004.

“Because of the original contract, Marineland owns and has the right to continue using that recording, despite my feelings,” McNeil said in a public statement. “I plan on investigating this issue further, and doing anything in my power to help these animals.”

McNeil, a Juno-nominated artist who once sang backup vocals for American artist Pink, was paid a lump sum to record the jingle in 2004. She doesn’t receive continued payments.

“I was very shocked and saddened to read the article published today in the Toronto Star describing animals suffering neglect and illness at Marineland. No animal should ever suffer, especially at the hands of human beings,” she said.

McNeil’s publicist said the artist won’t attend Saturday’s protest organized outside Marineland due to her touring schedule.

I shake my head every time that commercial comes on. There is a reason I haven't been to Sea World in years. Rumors of the horrible conditions have been around for years. I vaguely remember being sent petitions and a few of my friends protested earlier this summer.

I'm not sure what can be done to save Marineland. It is going to take new management and a lost of money to fix that place.

That jingle hasn't changed since I was old enough to remember it in the mid to late 80s. After going back in '08, about 20 years later, it was apparant that the park and animal conditions, which 'may' have been fine back then, haven't changed either. The performance area looked so small compared to how I remember it. Thankfully Friendship Cove turned out well at least. Suzie McNiel is just peeved that she couldn't get something better after Canadian Idol. She knew exactly what and who she was singing for.

Marineland is always packed and people will always pay to get in if in the area. The only thing that has been running and keeping Holer's business afloat over the years and the thing that will continue to do so is location, location, location. Hopefully further investigation will clarify and remove any exaggerated tales from disgruntled employees, etc. The most important thing is to improve the older facilities by pinpointing reasonable and necessary upgrades on a real world timeline as I don't see attendance declining any time soon. I do believe that the trainers that work there love and care for each animal whole heartedly and make the very best of the existing conditions. Thank goodness for them. I also believe that John Holer loves the animals and that his mission statement comes from the heart but it's obvious that he's been suffering from some myopia--why invest in your business beyond the basics when the status quo has proved adequate for decades and the people keep coming? He needs to be challenged and this is the best that's happened in years.

http://www.marinelandcanada.com/general/general_information/

Media Statement - August 15, 2012

For over 50 years, Marineland has proven that it is one of the world's best facilities for animal and marine mammal care.

We are proud to offer our guests an educational and exciting experience.

Our animals receive loving care from our trainers and our veterinary staff and enjoy well-maintained facilities, high quality diets and exemplary veterinary care. As a testament to the quality of our care, our animals live much longer than they would in the wild. Our "seniors" enjoy their retirement in their Marineland home and receive the best quality care for their age and stage of life.

We invite members of the media and the public to visit Marineland to see it for themselves and learn more about the work we do here.

http://www.cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2012/08/16/20110171.html

Marineland can expect a visit from the Niagara Falls Humane Society.

Humane society executive director Jay DesRoches told QMI Agency on Thursday the agency will be inspecting the amusement park “in the very near future” to investigate allegations of animal mistreatment. “We, in conjunction with the (Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) and other organizations plan on doing an inspection and an investigation at Marineland,” DesRoches said. “I don’t want to disclose when that will take place, but it will be in the very near future. It’s a priority to us.”

The 51-year-old Niagara Falls park and its owner, John Holer, have come under fire this week after concerns were raised by former employees that poor water conditions had led to animals getting sick.

Along with traditional law enforcement services, the Ontario SPCA has the job of making sure the laws against animal abuse are followed. They enforce animal welfare legislation and investigate complaints using affiliates such as the Niagara Falls Humane Society.

“The Ontario SPCA takes animal cruelty concerns very seriously,” OSPCA marketing and communications manager Alison Cross said in a statement. “We respond to an average of 16,000 cases of animal cruelty every year.” She said typically the agency wouldn’t investigate a zoo or animal park unless it had a specific complaint against it - none have been filed against Marineland - but both she and DesRoches said the red flags raised by a number of former Marineland employees who have spoken out publicly this week warranted an investigation.

Holer helped fund the Niagara Falls Humane Society’s current building. In the main entrance to its headquarters on Chippawa Pkwy., the humane society has a plaque thanking Holer for his generosity and for making the building a possibility when it was opened in 1981. The society donated its old building to Marineland in 1979, and in exchange Holer paid for the property on which the new facility sits.

But DesRoches said the 31-year-old donation has “absolutely” no impact on any current actions by the agency. “Any prior transaction that may have occurred whether recently or long ago, has no impact on any current investigation by the Niagara Falls Humane Society,” he said.

Niagara Falls Liberal MPP Kim Craitor said the public shouldn’t be concerned about a conflict of interest. “John Holer and Marineland are treated no differently than any other facility,” he said Thursday.

Asked about the animal abuse allegations, Craitor said he only knew what he had read in the media. “I just don’t have all of the facts, but there are organizations that will go in and look at them,” he said. Craitor said he received numerous e-mails over the past two days calling for Marineland to close and by others defending the park.

Cheri DiNovo, an NDP MPP for Parkdale-High Park, said the organizations responsible for investigating parks like Marineland have their hands tied. “The OSPCA can only enforce laws they have on the books and there are no laws protecting sea mammals,” she said. “This is not shocking to us. It’s a wonder it’s not worse because there are no laws protecting these animals. “Operations like Marineland are self-regulating and we need the government regulation.”

Our animals receive loving care from our trainers and our veterinary staff and enjoy well-maintained facilities, high quality diets and exemplary veterinary care.

Uh huh....

Cheri DiNovo, an NDP MPP for Parkdale-High Park, said the organizations responsible for investigating parks like Marineland have their hands tied. “The OSPCA can only enforce laws they have on the books and there are no laws protecting sea mammals,” she said. “This is not shocking to us. It’s a wonder it’s not worse because there are no laws protecting these animals. “Operations like Marineland are self-regulating and we need the government regulation.”

Oh, Canada. Sometimes it's like you're our mentally challenged little brother who can't function in society.

Our animals receive loving care from our trainers and our veterinary staff and enjoy well-maintained facilities, high quality diets and exemplary veterinary care.

Uh huh....

That video reminds me of my only visit to this park. There were "locals" there & had two jumbo bags of marshmellows they were tossing to the bears. High quality diet, indeed.

Recently SpandyAndy (a popular Vancouver busker that was performing at Marinland for a season) posted on his facebook about why he wouldn't be returning to Marineland in the future.

My coworkers wanted change, but it was all about cutting costs. They couldn’t keep experienced staff because no one was willing to work in these conditions for too long. There was no healthy future for Marineland. Now that the ex-employees are speaking out, I am to. Please sign this petition created by Zoocheck Canada and Phil Demers: http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/save-marineland-s-animals. We can force Marineland to put more into the facility and protecting the animals.

http://spandyandy.com/2012/08/19/why-isnt-spandy-andy-at-marineland-canada/ (I hope I did that right

I really hope something is done to help these poor animals

I haven't visited this park since the early 90s but I heard nothing about neglect then. It is a very strange park though, they only have a few rides and each ride is what feels like miles from the next. There is not much to do which is true unless you want a walking marathon. I don't have to worry about having the urge to visit as I don't have a passport. Sadly this is a tourist park so tourists will come and walk around and be like.. Oh animals! And they will be happy. This park can exist with high prices and basically doing nothing because most people who go aren't local and will not return. A lot of the tourists that go there don't even speak or read English so I doubt protesting would actually make people turn away.

I definitely would not know animal neglect if it was looking me square in the eye so I am guessing it's not something you can see unless you have knowledge of animals or have worked with them or currently work with them.

^I heard that too, and actually I'm glad he does. Perhaps some things mentioned about the facility will help shed some light on public, er, enthusiast perception. On the flip side, the old Arrow was running well.

Indeed it was. Had quite an interesting layout too. Also, nice ice cream cone diet for the bears :\.

^I heard that too, and actually I'm glad he does. Perhaps some things mentioned about the facility will help shed some light on public, er, enthusiast perception. On the flip side, the old Arrow was running well.

Yeah..The arrow looper was the highlight of the park ( I didn't make it over to the "might be operating" drop tower though) .. Although I'll doubt he'll comment on it, I'd like to thank him for the upkeep (and being a TPR member)..

Sadly though, over at Deer Park Review, the reviews are not as positive.

Marineland says the Canadian Association of Zoos and Aquariums has found no "major issues" at the Niagara Falls, Ont., facility.

In a release issued late Thursday, the amusement park says experts from CAZA and the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals conducted a joint inspection.

This follows a series of published reports in which former Marineland staff alleged animals were not being properly cared for.

Dr. June Mergl, head of veterinary services at Marineland, said the allegations were without context, and that maintaining the welfare of the animals is a "balancing act."

Marineland says the CAZA experts noted there are "some eye issues in a few animals," but most are related to old age and all of these animals are under veterinary care.

Marineland is home to a variety of creatures, including beluga whales, dolphins and orcas.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/08/24/toronto-marineland-ospca-inspection.html

Of course everything will look fine and dandy when you invite them in for an inspection.

The SPCA and CAZA need to do surprise inspections in both the off, and operating, seasons.

I gotta be honest here - after reading the past few pages, having visited the park several times, and also having visited a LOT of marine and animal parks, some of which in pretty crappy countries and conditions, I never saw anything at Marineland that would strike me as overly alarming.

Trust me on this, as we have seen some animal exhibits in some far off places that were REALLY sketchy, I've never seen anything at Marineland that looked anywhere near that bad.

To me, I feel the truth lies somewhere between the "ex-employees" and what the park is saying.

Personally, I think our members have been pretty unfair to the park in some of the responses having nothing more than an article from former employees in an over-sensationalized journalism world to base their comments on.

I kinda thought many of our members would have known better and that kind of disappoints me.

I'll have no problems visiting this park again...unless perhaps something concrete IS discovered and then I'll revisit my thoughts on the matter.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

I gotta be honest here - after reading the past few pages, having visited the park several times, and also having visited a LOT of marine and animal parks, some of which in pretty crappy countries and conditions, I never saw anything at Marineland that would strike me as overly alarming.

Trust me on this, as we have seen some animal exhibits in some far off places that were REALLY sketchy, I've never seen anything at Marineland that looked anywhere near that bad.

To me, I feel the truth lies somewhere between the "ex-employees" and what the park is saying.

Personally, I think our members have been pretty unfair to the park in some of the responses having nothing more than an article from former employees in an over-sensationalized journalism world.

I kinda thought many of our members would have known better and that kind of disappoints me.

I'll have no problems visiting this park again...unless perhaps something concrete IS discovered and then I'll revisit my thoughts on the matter.

--Robb

Agreed. As far as I'm concerned, I've also read these past few pages, and it seems to me that the users here are undermining the journalism aspect here. I signed the petititon mentioned earlier, and I do feel that it's possible something could be wrong here, but since I can't visit the park, I have no concrete proof of anything being wrong.

If I do ever get the chance to visit this park, I will, but I will keep the information on the things in this thread in my mind, in case something completely shocking ever comes up.

Personally, I think our members have been pretty unfair to the park in some of the responses having nothing more than an article from former employees in an over-sensationalized journalism world to base their comments on.

Your right. My original response was a little over the top with out having proof when these employees could just be over exaggerating this.

I'm not inclined to revisit this park because as a rides-oriented person, I didn't feel this was a good value. It's like $40 for an old Arrow looper, a kiddie coaster, and a really good drop tower. I have a similar feeling about SeaWorld, but at least SeaWorld has pristine marine/animal exhibits. Marineland does not.

Would I visit Marineland again as part of a TPR trip? Hell yes! I bet ERT on Dragon Mountain is a hoot.

I think everyone should visit Marineland at least once because it's so bizarrely spread out. Such a giant parcel of land for so few attractions.