Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

P. 645 - Batman: The Ride Roller Coaster for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Re: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Postby R.C. » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:20 pm

Double0Kevin wrote:I honestly think the park could really benefit from water ride. They were supposed to get a log ride back in 2002 but the V2 remodel pretty much destroyed that plan. The park's two water rides are extremely popular and it gets hot a lot in Vallejo. I think people would really take to a log ride or Shoot The Rapids style water coaster (which would help in the family ride area as well). These are rides that fit the type of budget SF would spend on the park.

As much as I would like to see a new coaster, I don't see it happening. I would like to see a new water ride or even just a big, marketable flat ride (like an S&S Screamin' Swing or something). I would also like to see SFDK fix some of the pathways in the park. A lot of the pavement is looking old and cracked now.

It's All About Quality!

Postby Angry_Gumball » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:21 pm

I honestly think the park could really benefit from water ride. They were supposed to get a log ride back in 2002 but the V2 remodel pretty much destroyed that plan. The park's two water rides are extremely popular and it gets hot a lot in Vallejo. I think people would really take to a log ride or Shoot The Rapids style water coaster (which would help in the family ride area as well). These are rides that fit the type of budget SF would spend on the park.

I also agree that a water ride would be beneficial. One one of my visits back in 2006 when we took on triple digit temps, the rapids just happened to be down all day (go figure). That lead to everyone flocking over to Monsoon Falls (which I did not even dare get in line for), and there were some spray features over in Tava's Jungle Land for a quick soaking. They were even hosing down the elephants with passengers on board over at the elephant rides. Sure, one can still play in that Water Works thing in the Looney Tunes area, or stand on the bridge of Monsoon Falls but adding another water ride wouldn't be half bad at all. Maybe I'm spoiled by CGA's abundance of water ride options as even on some of the hotter days, there's enough to disperse the crowds (Rapids, Chute, Log Flume, plus Boomerang Bay and Rain Maze).

That log flume concept you mentioned many pages back seemed like a neat, standout idea. It was to go through some of the animal exhibits, right?

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Manic Monte » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:35 pm

Oh, I like the Screamin Swing idea! That would be an awesome addition.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Location: noun - a place of settlement, activity, or residence

Postby bottom_feeder_13 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:46 pm

Yeah a Screamin' Swing is on my list of stuff every park should have, along with a carousel, an good drop tower (Intamin, Larson or ARM), a good woodie, a Schwarzkopf a log flume, a rapids ride, and a shoot-the-chutes type ride.
RIP
Log Jammer, SFMM
1971-2011

It's hot outside, and I have a headache

Postby SLUSHIE » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:03 pm

Double0Kevin wrote:What third one? Are we considering Superman a shuttle now, too?

Call it a hybrid.

Screamin Swings are cool, as long as they don't cost extra to ride.
Last edited by SLUSHIE on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:04 pm.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Andrewoplis » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:03 pm

I agree with all the talk about a water ride, I think that would fit perfectly at SFDK! The park is due for another one and the ones that already have are some of the most popular rides in the park.
Hm, I see...

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Double0Kevin » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:05 pm

Angry_Gumball wrote:That log flume concept you mentioned many pages back seemed like a neat, standout idea. It was to go through some of the animal exhibits, right?

Yeah, they would have built new Croc, Flamingo and Hippo exhibits plus a modified Elephant exhibit. The ride would have gone over some exhibits and under some into clear tubes. It was really amazing looking.

bottom_feeder_13 wrote:Yeah a Screamin' Swing is on my list of stuff every park should have, along with a carousel, an good drop tower (Intamin, Larson or ARM), a good woodie, a Schwarzkopf a log flume, a rapids ride, and a shoot-the-chutes type ride.

They had a Schwarzkopf, I doubt they would get another. Also the park has most of those rides with the exception of the swing, log and drop. They aren't getting a drop any time soon, and the park has a fairly impressive collection of flats already so I don't see corporate thinking too much in terms of flats. It's not out of the question, but not as likely I'd say.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby lake » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:08 am

Don't know if anyone has noticed this... but not only has Shouka Stadium been renamed to Pacific Stadium on the park map, but Six Flags Discovery Kingdom has removed "Celebrate Shouka" from the show lineup on the website. They've also removed all traces of Shouka on the webiste. Could this be the beginning of the end of Shouka?

Edit: It hasn't been changed on the website's park map but the park map I got when I visited last week has Shouka Stadium renamed to Pacific Stadium. I'll post the picture later if you guys want it.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby robman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:38 am

lake wrote:Don't know if anyone has noticed this... but not only has Shouka Stadium been renamed to Pacific Stadium on the park map, but Six Flags Discovery Kingdom has removed "Celebrate Shouka" from the show lineup on the website. They've also removed all traces of Shouka on the webiste. Could this be the beginning of the end of Shouka?

Edit: It hasn't been changed on the website's park map but the park map I got when I visited last week has Shouka Stadium renamed to Pacific Stadium. I'll post the picture later if you guys want it.

I actually just read on Screamscape's twitter that Shouka was moved from the park and now at Seaworld San Diego.
Last edited by robman on Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:53 am.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:48 am

^Weird. Almost makes you wonder if Six Flags is slowly starting to pull out of the animal business. Between this announcement and the Safari changes at SFGAd, should make August 30 that much more interesting!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!