California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

P. 1176: Cedar Fair complete park land purchase!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
It's All About Quality!

Re: California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Postby Angry_Gumball » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:04 pm

I actually suggested mine earlier when I shared it. Would be neat to see the other ones (1996/97/98/00/etc) make it on there...though some of them aren't our images...perhaps a TPR member who owns these can scan it and submit?

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby JeffyJosephNorCal » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:07 pm

More nostalgia:

Construction of Drop Zone Stunt Tower (Drop Tower Scream Zone)!
Linky:
http://jbrown.best.vwh.net/dropzone/drop18.gif

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby RCT3luvr » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:24 pm

^hmmm, cool.

It's hot outside, and I have a headache

Postby SLUSHIE » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:15 am

DSC_0011.JPG

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby asimowalk » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:50 am

Here's the scanned versions of the pictures I posted yesterday. My scanner wasn't big enough so I had to scan in several pieces and they didn't line up that well... :p
envelope_low.jpg
2003map_low.jpg
2003mapback_low.jpg

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Double0Kevin » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:21 am

^ I miss this Great America... This was pretty much the last season that park felt well rounded to me. Ever since it's just felt like it's missing something. I look forward to the park getting new stuff in the coming years.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby Twitch » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:57 am

It still baffles me as to why Stealth had such a short stay at the park. So short, that I never got a chance to ride it.
Something witty to distract you from what I actually say.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby sfmmfan1978 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:07 am

It makes me laugh to see that 1999 park map. I was driving the trolley that day when they were taking pictures and I was shocked that they actually used that picture in the park map that year. Awe... the memories of driving that trolley =)

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby MrSum1_55 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:21 pm

^^I can see how removing Stealth sounded like a good idea at the time. It was unrealiable, and SFDK had just finished adding several coasters year after year for the past few years. The park decided not to compete with Six Flags, in order to be more family friendly. So, they built Boomerang Bay, which was more a success than Stealth.

However, I do still wonder if it would have been better for the park in the long run if they kept Stealth. My reasoning is that, after 2003, Six Flags decided to take the family-friendly route as well. Before S:UF, I saw many advertisements for SFDK that featured few to no coaster shots, instead just animals. With these advertisements, it is clear they were advertising for a family environment, and, after this season, I could easily see them going back to the old ways of commercials. on the other end, now most of GCA's commercials feature coasters in them. CGA may not have been desperate for a new coaster at the time, but attendance has fallen so much that they are now one of the most desperate parks needing a new coaster. And, thankfully, they are getting one, now.

And, in terms of capacity issues, it does seem like Carowinds did work out the bugs with this ride. The four ride ops they had were only stacking for 10-15 seconds! :shockr: I am sure the supervisor crews on stealth did their best with what they had, but you really do need a big crew to run one of these things, which it doesn't seem like Paramount was willing to provide to PGA. Also, Carowinds did solve the issues of baking in the sun, with a covered final block brake, complete with fans.

Although BoomerangBay was a hit, I do wonder if keeping Stealth would have helped in the long run.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby Flagg O'Dim » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:02 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!