TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

^

"Welcome to ClubEvil...Allow one of my vampires a moment to indroduce themselves..."

Back to the GCI, the banking on that looks pretty sweet, can almost anticipate the train's speed as it hugs those turns. I'm not sure how high up that turn's going to go, or if it's going to be kept lower as many of the GCI coasters I've been watching lately seem to stay low to keep a higher speed/quick pacing throughout the ride.

Lastly, today is what I like to call "Au13" since it's August 13 This was the initial day I thought Au13 would be officially revealed.

Switching gears here, I'm actually going to CGA this Saturday, though it's not going to help in terms of avoiding crowds. I am instead going to Waterworld Concord Sunday as I have some free tickets I had won that need to be used. But that will all be in another TR. Anyone down to hit up CGA this Sat?

Mmmmm...more new GCI wood...*drools*

I'd like to hit up CGA on Saturday, too! It's only been a day since my family and I came back from Austria (jet-lag included), but I am already "bent" on heading over to the park to see the construction and meet a few TPR members! Look for me in my Wodan Timbur Coaster shirt.

Yay new food shaped pads! I'm down as always, I haven't been to CGA on a Saturday in a long time....

Throwback Tuesday: Found these on youtube flashback to 1993 & 1994

Commercial in 1993, the first year Paramount took over...:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOUy6znPa-s

From 1994, from the VHS tape America's Greatest Roller Coaster Thrills..

You know, I actually remember that 1993 'film strip coaster' commercial! Now I'm on the hunt for a 1996-97 era map, when Drop Tower was new. I know the map artwork appeared to be an enhanced version of the maps from the earlier 90s.

And I'm glad for TPR coaster footage as they provide only the best of the best POVs available...often when searching for a POV, I usually tend to favor the TPR POVs as they tend to get the entire ride, shake-free and no "GP" antics (like turning the camera to record their friends who are halfway in the frame and the sky in the other half).

Blue Fire Guy:

I'll be in a TPR shirt (my typical theme park attire) so I should be easy to spot...will probably look exactly like I did a few pages back on my TR

I have the maps from '93, '96, '97, '04-'08 hiding in a drawer somewhere, when I find it I'll scan them, though I did a google search and found some great sites:

Linky's:

http://www.themeparkbrochures.net/mainmaps.htm

PGA 1993 Park Map

http://www.themeparkbrochures.net/maps/1993/pga1993.html

PGA 1996 Park Map

PGA 1997 Park Map

PGA 1998 Park Map

http://www.themeparkbrochures.net/maps/1998/pga1998.html

PGA 2000 Park Map

PGA 2001 Park Map

PGA 2003 Park Map

Edited by JJnCFL

^ Great finds you have there! I see Joey's favorite ride in the '93 map as well as some Anton goodness up until the '98 map. I wish that Tidal Wave/GL was still here today, but it's still really awesome that TWO of His flats (including one of the last remaining Bayern Kurves) still remain in the park.

^Make that 3: Orbit, Centrifuge, and Berserker.

Since we seem to be in a little "Throwback" theme this week, I'm finally getting around to scanning my (extremely beat up, taped together) 1999 PGA map. The 1999 map is the first of what the CGA maps look like today, style-wise. It is pretty beat up so I did what I could trying to get rid of some of the hard creases. Also, some spots may appear out of focus since my scanner doesn't like scanning documents that have 'dimension' to them.

cga1999mapsmall.thumb.jpg.c5c61989e078d89d9b56cdb42a2403e8.jpg

Welcome to 1999 guys!

cga1999map-raw.thumb.jpg.c105108de190fe822edf6d260d622828.jpg

And if anyone cares to see how banged up it was (this does not do it justice), here's my almost raw scan...I had to piece it together from 2 scans.

Edited by Angry_Gumball

Since we're sharing old maps and stuff... Sometimes I'm glad I was an annoying kid. I ordered brochures in 2003 from all of the Paramount Parks (and, interestingly enough, Cedar Point). Here's what I got from PGA:

20120815_232331.thumb.jpg.99e65e28e30fd0f540b0803e76411d7f.jpg

20120815_231358.thumb.jpg.70932140980d0a5902572005fce1813c.jpg

20120815_231436.thumb.jpg.d47a242d99922f5427ce808683208ab7.jpg

PKI and PKD had the largest packages because they also included accommodations, though PKI's slightly larger as the map I got was a larger brochure like you'd find at a rest stop.

I was just thumbing through my TPR-stamped envelope that I decided to put to use (storing all of my park maps) and came across a fair-condition 1999 brochure to go along with that map. I scanned the contents on that, hope you enjoy!

And I apologize for the sideways page spread, not sure how else you'd really be able to view it on here.

And the 2003 map...I scanned one of these (cover only) at work a few months ago when I was scanning some customer's photo albums. I couldn't help it though but open the map and look at it for a few minutes.

001-small.thumb.jpg.a2846d3b912bf09c767d2433e316fb2d.jpg

Was Raging Waters an affiliate with GA or something?

002-spread-small.thumb.jpg.4be335cb94e8a255fbdf39ac2279609c.jpg

Sorry for it being sideways, you may have to tilt your head but at least you can read the content :)

003-small.thumb.jpg.48fadefd8d1e918bbc02c8aa7cc9d6ef.jpg

004-small.thumb.jpg.b9eed3ca914f30f6cd1a8008b7919aa3.jpg

^^ & ^^^, Can one of you scan the park map and give it to Larry? I would really like to see a PGA park map w/ Stealth on it on the Park Index. Thanks.

I have maps from 2003, 2004, 2008, and 2011, (Thought I had more). I'm rather curious as to what next years map is going to look like though. It should be interesting.

I hope they won't make the park map ugly like what happened to Kings Island & Carowinds, I like the current map style.