TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Have the morlocks provided any clues to geological predictions of the sinking of rides, or is this a secret deal they made with Dick Kinzel that he will take to his grave?

Kinzel is the king of the morlocks. His retirement coincided with the 7134th mating period for the morlocks.

Morlocks sink the rides if they aren't given enough pure Pepsi syrup to survive an entire summer. They are deathly afraid of concrete and trash cans.

This is already more entertaining than "Avatar Land."

Sorry, a little bit off-topic: I can't find the opening hours of any of the above mentioned parks for 2013.

Do I take a risk of standing at a closed park between the 12th and the 26th of May??

I especially want to avoid weekends when visiting those parks.

You will almost definitely be staring at a closed park if you try to attend any of those during a weekday in May. Check the park schedules and look at the May 2012 schedule, 2013 will more than likely be almost identical except for the corresponding date changes.

Typically seasonal parks on the East Coast are only open on the weekends until Memorial Day (the last monday in May for you since you may not be familiar with American holidays). However, attendance is generally pretty light even on the weekends in May before schools let out for the summer sometime in June. Typically seasonal parks on the East Coast are only open on the weekends until Memorial Day (the last monday in May for you since you may not be familiar with American holidays). However, attendance is generally (your mileage may vary depending on the exact park) pretty light even on the weekends in May before schools let out for the summer sometime in June.

Cedar Point doesn't do weekday closures in May. He's probably safe after May 11th, which is the corresponding Saturday in 2013.

Fair enough, the other ones he mentioned will almost definitely not be open.

Thanks guys,

Fair enough, the other ones he mentioned will almost definitely not be open.

So I can safely plan a visit to CP on a weekday after the 11th of May and have to plan a visit to both KD and SFGA on a saturday/sunday, correct?

Should be intersting to plan......

Paul

I'm trying to make out the layout after the MCBR, and it looks like it's just helix > bunny hop > wide turn > brakes. I hope that's not the case, as I would love to see another slow roll or inline twist shoved in there. I guess we'll find out in two hours

There is NO inversion after the MCBR. The foundation blueprints are leaked and you can clearly see there is no inversion what-so-ever. Just a drip, helix and rise into the final brakes.

http://i.imgur.com/heARd.jpg

Disappointing, but oh well. B&M has gotten into a real habit of mediocre second 'halves' (if you can even call them halves). Still does look to be the best of the wingriders, at least in layout!

Well, GateKeeper is confirmed!

http://www.cedarpoint.com/gatekeeper

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cedar-point-announces-plans-for-new-world-record-breaking-roller-coaster-165929086.html

Cedar Point amusement and Cedar Point /resort, known around the globe as the leader in innovative coaster thrills and "The Best Amusement Park in the World," announced plans today to build a new world-record-breaking coaster for the park's 2013 season. Named GateKeeper, this new winged roller coaster will take guests on a ride unlike anything else at the famed park. Set to debut in May, the mammoth ride will be the longest winged roller coaster in the world and will boast the longest drop of any winged coaster on the planet!

GateKeeper, will forever change the landscape of the Cedar Point Peninsula, as the track will dramatically fly above the main entrance to the park, passing over arriving guests with rolling flyover maneuvers. Riders will twice narrowly slot through new front gate portals and slide by buildings for near miss excitement. GateKeeper will feature Sunset Gold trains with coaches that extend out sideways from the track, exposing riders to nothing above or below them, simulating the feeling of flight.

"GateKeeper's world-record-breaking statistics, incredible flying maneuvers and special elements make it a unique coaster experience," stated Cedar Point General Manager John Hildebrandt. "GateKeeper is a roller coaster only Cedar Point can build and we are proud to add it to our incredible lineup of world-class attractions."

Designed by world-renown coaster manufacturer Bolliger & Mabillard, Monthey, Switzerland, a ride along the 4,164 feet of dark and light blue steel tubular track on GateKeeper will take approximately 2 minutes and 40 seconds.

Once riders crest the top of the 170-foot-tall lift hill, the coaster train will rotate 180 degrees to the right, turning riders upside down before plummeting a record 164 feet toward the ground at speeds reaching 67 mph! Then the train will enter a half loop, go through a half twist and curve out in the opposite direction from which it came. A towering 105-foot-tall camelback hill awaits just before riders glide through a 360-degree giant flat spin. The train will then fly through the middle of two support towers that will dominate Cedar Point's new Main Entrance. The coaster will then make a tight, 180-degree turnaround which pushes riders through an overbanked turn and rockets them back towards the station. A 360-degree in-line roll, camelback drop and spiral round out the amazing elements that GateKeeper will treat its passengers to next summer.

GateKeeper will feature three 32-passenger trains and will be able to accommodate approximately 1,710 riders per hour. Riders will be secured with over-the-shoulder restraints and interlocking seat belts. With the addition of GateKeeper and the redesign to the park's main entrance, Cedar Point will invest approximately $30 million on improvements for the 2013 season.

Thrill-seekers can view more statistics and photos about the new world-record-breaking coaster, GateKeeper, and follow the progress http://www.cedarpoint.com all winter long. GateKeeper will be Cedar Point's 16th roller coaster and is scheduled to open with the rest of the park in May of 2013.

http://www.cedarpoint.com/gatekeeper/the-ride

THE RIDE - FACTS AND FIGURES

It’s the announcement you have been waiting for! Cedar Point amusement park/resort, known around the globe as the leader in innovative coaster thrills, will take guests on a winged ride unlike anything else at the famed park when it debuts its newest roller coaster, GateKeeper, in 2013.

Located at the front of the park, GateKeeper, will forever change the landscape of the Cedar Point Peninsula. This mammoth ride will be the longest winged roller coaster and boast the longest drop of any winged roller coaster on the planet!

Scheduled Debut: May 2013

Physical Dimensions

Track Length: 4,164 feet

Lift Height: 170 feet

Angle of Lift Hill: 40 degrees

Vertical Drop: 163 feet

Time, Speed, Capacity

Time: Approximately 2 minutes, 40 seconds

Maximum Speed: Approximately 67 mph

Capacity: Approximately 1,710 riders per hour

Design

Ride Manufacturer: Bolliger & Mabillard (B&M), Monthey, Switzerland

Model: Full-circuit winged coaster

Structure: Steel tubular track

Vehicles

Trains: Three (3) 32-passenger trains

Coaches: Eight coaches, with four seats per coach, per train

Design: Fiberglass and steel coaches with over-the-shoulder restraints and interlocking seat belts

Color Scheme

Supports: White columns

Track: Azure Blue (dark blue) and Strata Blue (light blue) track

Train colors: Sunset Gold, with Zenith Gold, Meteor Gold and Orion Gold accents

Additional Facts

Ride Site: 3.5 Acres

Total 2013 Investment: Approx. $30 million

Features

The ride layout is specially designed for Cedar Point, featuring a track that dramatically flies above the main entrance of the park, passing over arriving guests with rolling flyover maneuvers – twice, sliding by buildings and narrowly slotting through new front gate portals for near miss excitement. Elements of the ride include:

• Wing Over Drop – once riders crest the top of the lift hill, the coaster train will rotate 180 degrees to the right, turning riders upside down before plummeting toward the ground at speeds of more than 65 mph!
  • Immelmann – a maneuver where riders enter a half loop, go through a half twist and curve out in the opposite direction from which they came.
  • Camelback – riders will fly over a giant, 105-foot-tall camelback hill that will be filled with “airtime!”
  • Giant Flat Spin – a hair-raising 360-degree flip that will provide two different ride experiences for guests on each side of the train.
  • Zero-G-Roll – a flying element that takes riders through two support towers that will dominate Cedar Point’s new Main Entrance.
  • Inclined Dive Loop – a tight, 180-degree turnaround pushes riders through an overbanked turn and rockets them back towards the station.
  • 360° In-Line-Roll – an element that will take riders extremely close to the new massive support towers while flying over guests entering the park below.
  • Camelback Drop – a quick drop that will help propel the train and its guests through the rides final thrilling element, the spiral.
  • Spiral – GateKeeper’s track rotates a wicked 360 degrees before bringing the coasters train back to the ride station.

GateKeeper01_300dpi_11x17.jpg.2618d9826f7ff15362f0e788559d0f24.jpg

GateKeeper02_300dpi_11x17.jpg.4b05ee53c91c064b3597ff74521a47c6.jpg

GateKeeper03_300dpi_11x17.jpg.18c12dd5f1123b44708c7fc15f644144.jpg

GateKeeper04_300dpi_11x17.jpg.df4b21126a19f30e8f7fef2566544025.jpg

GateKeeper05_300dpi_11x17.jpg.57eaf2bd85a95848b5d52a5fb3346f9e.jpg

GateKeeper06_300dpi_11x17.jpg.229c8d628f14fba8b9f9c628cd05fe7c.jpg

GateKeeper07_300dpi_11x17.jpg.51b74ca18b45ef839542ce674e11a67a.jpg

GateKeeper08_300dpi_11x17.jpg.e0b5950de0c152d016f1e2093e833478.jpg

GateKeeper09_300dpi_11x17.jpg.20c90aa1f46198fdcebf2f9f0def9b9f.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

I'm going to join the likes of McKayla Maroney on this one.

While I do honestly believe it will be a great addition to the park's line-up, I'm very doubtful it will have that punch that so many of CP's coasters have. I'm still excited to ride this, as it's impressible looking, and will ultimately be an awesome addition to the skyline, I just know this won't be beating out Millennium or Maverick as my tops in the park. I'm not cynical towards the park, but more to B&M, because their really good coasters have been so few and far between recently. I'll reserve my full judgement until it opens though.

Ahhh, so we finally have an official name for the Wingrider inverting drops

"Wing Over Drop"

"Wing Over Drop – once riders crest the top of the lift hill, the coaster train will rotate 180 degrees to the right, turning riders upside down before plummeting toward the ground at speeds of more than 65 mph!"

None the less, this looks amazing.

1710 pph! Wow, that's insanely high. Of course, the actual capacity is never as high as the estimated capacity, but when comparing to some other coasters it is very high:

Cheetah Hunt: 1370 pph

Intimidator 305: 1350 pph

Diamondback:1620 pph

Love everything about this addition... The new main gate, landscaping, new B&M wingrider, etc....

It will look so fantastic... The ride should be amazing as well. I am really looking forward to next season.

I am glad they are filling the ride with sand to quiet it down over the main gate. Smart move.

What else did Becca say, something about another new addition. The video feed cut off just then....

She talked about the food truck. That's when my feed cut off.

It looks like a fantastic addition to the park. I know there are people complaining that it doesn't seem to pack the same punch as other coasters give at CP, but it adds to the variety of their collection. I see that as a good thing.

I don't really like the way they edited that video. It's chopped up really oddly, leaving the keyholes at the end of the video... after a reverse POV which sparks all of these "the ride goes backwards?!" comments from the GP.

Edited by asimowalk

And the hilarious facebook comments have begun!

we want a Cedar Point in Chile !

do you seriously go backwards..

Oh look, another version of X2.......

NOT IMPRESSED!!!!! where are the coasters that families and the not so thrill seeing people want???? Im tired of all these over done thrill seeking coasters...I dont think I'll be coming to Cedar Point any more...... very sad about this news!!!!

didnt see whole vid are they taking down raptor

are they taking down the raptor to make room for this one?

is this already at cedar point ?

Does this coaster go backwards too?

disaster transport will be mist but the point might not be.... anyway... cant wait!!!!!!!!!!

How I miss ceder point....wish they had one here in Houston.

itt goes backwards too! :O just watched video