TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

• 2 weeks later...

I visited Alton Towers yesterday to ride Sub-Terra (BTW scared witless ahah). I checked out SW7's construction area, but my iPhone ran out so I have no pictures but good news there was a concrete truck there and the metal mesh that they use when laying concrete so I presume its either work on the station and buildings or the footers, but either way its still exciting. Sub-Terra surpassed my expectations but I feel there should be more signs warning about how overwhelming it is, I had to help a little boy out because he was crying, but nonetheless I thought it was brilliant, the drop should have been deeper though, would had made it amazing, either way it certainly is unique ;D

Went to Alton Towers for the first time last week (19-20), Sub-Terra was amazing and scared me s[explicit word]less. Waited just over an hour for it but it was definitely worth it. Managed to see from Oblivion the work being done on the SW7 site. There was only a small pile of rubble left and a digger using an automatic drill to get rid of any concrete from the previous site. The two days I was AT, there was nothing really going on at the SW7 site.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today during normal operations, the launch cable on the Rita attraction at Alton Towers snapped during the launch section of the ride.

Fortunately there are no reports of injuries and no one is said to be harmed.

The picture below shows staff guarding the broken cable where it has drooped down from the above track guide.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1728209&l=65dee00c8d&id=312433085441604

*EDIT*

A replacement cable has already been drafted in. At least they're working extremely hard to get it reopen again.

Edited by ernierocker

Wow, considering the location where the cable ended up, it is very lucky that no one was injured!

Yes, it looks like they were lucky no guests were wandering around under there at the time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So is this going to be somewhat of a dueling coaster, but single track? I looks as if its going to be launched for the 1st half, then a vertical lift and then dual with another train that would have been launched for the 2nd half. Either way it looks like its going to be pretty impressive. Can't wait to see the interlocking cobra roll and pretzel.

Oh NM I guess the first part is a normal lift.

The first thing that kinda came to mind when looking at this ride was Battlestar Gallactica as Universal Singapore. After realizing that's by Vekoma, nobody wants that. It does look to be a maurer sohne and I guess that's ok.

The SW7 site has progressed well indeed, with the hole getting deeper and wider day by day. Unfortunately the hole is flooded abit by the pipe on the side. Hopefully it's not from the toilets near by.

Pictures taken by stretchy on the Towersstreet forum.

http://www.towersstreet.com/talk/future-discussion/secret-weapon-7-construction-discussion/240/

I always wondered, if a launching cable proves to be inefficient and unsafe, will Intamin take a major step and replace the launching system on Kingda Ka or TTD from a hydraulic cable to LIMs or LSMs, they seem much safer to me. But the weird thing is that I don't think I ever read about a cable snap on Stormrunner or Speed Monster.