Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 632 - Mystic River Falls Announced for 2020
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 12 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Silver Dollar City Outlaw Run TPR Media Day Coverage!

Postby chadster » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:06 pm

Silver Dollar City Announces Outlaw Run For 2013!

http://www.silverdollarcity2013.com/

The world’s most daring wood coaster
is coming to Silver Dollar City!

Screamingly Steep ★ World’s Steepest Drop for a Wood Coaster

Brazenly Bold ★ World’s Only Wood Coaster to Twist Upside Down

Furiously Fast ★ World’s Second Fastest Wood Coaster

Test your grit as you blaze west through the great Ozarks frontier on Outlaw Run. But be on the lookout! Rumors are there’s a rogue outlaw and his unscrupulous gang waiting to ambush your stagecoach along the way. Steel yourself for an adventure of a lifetime filled with heart-pounding, record-breaking thrills.
Get ready to experience how the west was run!

Scroll down for TPR"s Media Coverage!

For more official info on Outlaw Run, visit Silver Dollar City's website here:

http://www.silverdollarcity2013.com/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Today I was fortunate enough to represent TPR at today's unveil of Outlaw Run, an incredible new ride by Rocky Mountain Construction featuring the worlds only double barrel roll on a wooden coaster! Upon arrival I was greeted by SDC staff from about every realm of the company and I would like to thank Lisa, Martha, and Courtney along with Brad Thomas and the entire Silver Dollar City Staff for their extraordinary hospitality.

Prior to the unveil I played musical radio chairs giving live on air interviews on my take of the new attraction(without giving it away, which was really hard to do!) as the park had about 9 different radio stations broadcasting from the event.

Following the presentation by Brad Thomas, the parks GM, we walked over to the double barrel roll element where the gigantic tarp that had been placed to keep the secret was dropped and the final piece was placed. Finally we were able to take a hard hat tour of the construction site which had been specially prepared for the event where I met and talked to Fred Grubb of Rocky Mountain.

Time to get excited!!!

The photos and material in the first post have been provided by Silver Dollar City

Walkback Photos Part I
Walkback Photos Part II < Features tons of OMFG Photos, CLICK!
Showboat Branson Belle Dinner Cruise!
1. Big drop from top aerial.JPG
Outlaw Run takes the classic wood coaster to a place it’s never been before by applying modern technology and techniques to traditional wood coaster building methods. The ground-breaking coaster will open in Spring 2013.
2. First drop from top close.JPG
Out of the woods emerges Silver Dollar City’s boldest ride yet, Outlaw Run. A 10-story lift brings riders to a more than 16-story drop.
3. First drop Side.jpg
Can’t be afraid of heights to ride the world’s steepest wood coaster with a first drop of 162 feet at 81 degrees – nearly vertical. Outlaw Run reaches a top speed of 68 miles per hour, the second fastest wood coaster in the world.
4. First drop from bottom.jpg
The view from down below on Outlaw Run.
5. Barrel Roll 2.jpg
Outlaw Run takes the classic wood coaster to a place it’s never been before by applying modern technology and techniques to traditional wood coaster building methods. It is the only wood coaster to twist upside down, with a record-breaking three inversions, including a 720-degree double barrel roll.
6. Track curve 153.JPG
Nearly half a million board feet of lumber will be used in Outlaw Run.
7. Track curve 153 train side cr.JPG
With thrilling twists and rolling inversions, riders will soar through nine locations where they will experience “airtime” or weightlessness. Outlaw Run is the only wood coaster with a 153-degree outside banked turn
8. Track lifts & hills.jpg
Unparalleled views of the beautiful Ozarks are visible from atop Outlaw Run.
1. Adventure Cover.jpg
The following are the Story Boards used in the presentation today.
2. Title Board.jpg
3. Wanted Honorable Passengers.jpg
4. Theme  Atmosphere.jpg
5. Now Hiring Stagecoach Drivers.jpg
6. Wood Coaster Features.jpg
7. Needed  Experienced Lawmen.jpg
8. Wood Coaster Layout.jpg
9. Attraction Site Plan.jpg
10. Good Guys Always Win.jpg
11. Key Art.jpg
12. Double Barrel Roll.jpg
13. Title Board at end.jpg
Photos from the event and walk back are coming soon!
Last edited by chadster on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:50 pm.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby OCJ48 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:41 pm

Reading through, I don't think anyone's brought this up yet. From the SDC2013 website's manufacturer section: "Known as ride experts, the folks at RMC have built, rebuilt or installed more than 50 new attractions in the last decade." What are they referring to here? All I know of is a few Topper Track mods, this, and NTAG. What am I missing?

I don't always seduce Donkeys, but when I do I use classy Champagne!

Postby _koppen » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:44 pm

SLUSHIE wrote:This thing looks nuts, but looking at the track I'm not exactly sure how this classifies as wooden track. It's not quite the same as the New Texas Giant track, but it's pretty close.

I guess steel wheels is part of being a wooden coaster, and the whole structure is wooden as is the support for the track, but where the rails are going to be attached is all steel.

I for one don't really understand the whole wood coaster with steel coaster elements, that essentially is a steel coaster. Why not just make a steel one.

Okay, this whole discussion of "why not just get a steel coaster" is getting retarded.

The park want's a wooden coaster that looks wooden, and rides wooden, but they don't want the maintenance part of it.
End of discussion!
No. 1 Water Park guy!
The Megalite is *the* roller coaster of the world! (after finally riding Expedition Geforce I'll admit it was pretty awesome as well!)

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby DougMJr » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:44 pm

SLUSHIE wrote:I for one don't really understand the whole wood coaster with steel coaster elements, that essentially is a steel coaster. Why not just make a steel one.

There is a certain ride experience a wooden coaster can give that a steel one can't. A wooden coaster can give a sense of speed, especially while crossing through the wood structure of the coaster.

I think flying through the structure, especially during the inversions, will be a great ride experience.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby biker7766 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:50 pm

OCJ48 wrote:Reading through, I don't think anyone's brought this up yet. From the SDC2013 website's manufacturer section: "Known as ride experts, the folks at RMC have built, rebuilt or installed more than 50 new attractions in the last decade." What are they referring to here? All I know of is a few Topper Track mods, this, and NTAG. What am I missing?

RMC did a lot of construction and repairs of different coasters. Such as Timber Terror and El Toro.
TPR's Queue Line Enthusiast!

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Re: Silver Dollar City Outlaw Run Media Day Coverage!

Postby chadster » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:56 pm

Outlaw Run is quite breathtaking, in fact everything about this ride just screams sexy.
Silver Dollar City Outlaw Run 001.JPG
After arriving I was asked to talk about the new attraction with all of the radio stations that came to visit. I have to admit i was a little nervous on the first one, but the others went great! TPR got a ton of airtime today!
Silver Dollar City Outlaw Run 136.JPG
The station is coming together very nicely.
Silver Dollar City Outlaw Run 137.JPG
Here is a different angle.
Silver Dollar City Outlaw Run 003.JPG
Inside they had the story boards lined up and the 30 second teaser video ready to play.
Silver Dollar City Outlaw Run 007.JPG
Here is the view from the load side out to the lift.
Silver Dollar City Outlaw Run 008.JPG
This is looking out towards the brakerun after you come off the OMFG Double Barrel Roll!
Silver Dollar City Outlaw Run 030.JPG
"Prepare to be Amazed!"
Silver Dollar City Outlaw Run 033.JPG
It's Outlaw Run! Featuring a 16 story 81 degree drop!
Silver Dollar City Outlaw Run 035.JPG
And leading into the outrageous 153 outside banked turn!
Silver Dollar City Outlaw Run 042.JPG
Never done before on a wooden coaster...a double barrel roll!
Silver Dollar City Outlaw Run 044.JPG
"Are you freaking excited?!?!?! If so, lets go see the double barrel roll!
Silver Dollar City Outlaw Run 054.JPG
"Rocky Mountain: DROP THAT CURTAIN!"
Silver Dollar City Outlaw Run 061.JPG
And the crowd went wild!!!
Silver Dollar City Outlaw Run 065.JPG
Workers were waiting to install the final piece!
Silver Dollar City Outlaw Run 067.JPG
It's freaking insane!
Silver Dollar City Outlaw Run 081.JPG
Up in the air she flys
Silver Dollar City Outlaw Run 082.JPG
And getting swung into position. It's like they've practiced it or something.
Silver Dollar City Outlaw Run 088.JPG
And going into place. They loosely fastened the farthest end first.
Silver Dollar City Outlaw Run 103.JPG
Trying to shoot this from the ground was quite challenging.
Silver Dollar City Outlaw Run 106.JPG
So we moved down a little bit.
Silver Dollar City Outlaw Run 109.JPG
To get better angles for you.
Silver Dollar City Outlaw Run 111.JPG
I was told they use some sort of cementing process in the joints between the pieces (no i don't think it's real cement ;) ) so that they mesh as one.
Silver Dollar City Outlaw Run 116.JPG
It was really awesome to watch.
Silver Dollar City Outlaw Run 123.JPG
Brad giving interviews to the local media.
Silver Dollar City Outlaw Run 131.JPG
Silver Dollar City Outlaw Run 133.JPG
It's Fred Grubb from RMC. In the next update I will share my conversation with you!
Silver Dollar City Outlaw Run 134.JPG
Beautiful. I want to ride it now!

More photos coming up later this evening!
Last edited by chadster on Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:40 am.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby EastCoastn07 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:18 pm

SLUSHIE wrote:This thing looks nuts, but looking at the track I'm not exactly sure how this classifies as wooden track. It's not quite the same as the New Texas Giant track, but it's pretty close.

I guess steel wheels is part of being a wooden coaster, and the whole structure is wooden as is the support for the track, but where the rails are going to be attached is all steel.

I for one don't really understand the whole wood coaster with steel coaster elements, that essentially is a steel coaster. Why not just make a steel one.

You do realize that wooden coasters use steel running rail as well? And this coaster will most likely have urethane wheels, but wooden coasters have already started to transition to those with other coasters as well (Wodan). Not sure you can say this isn't a wooden coaster, but I guess there's always gonna be that debate no matter where you go.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby coast4airtime » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:18 pm

I don't know how many of you all lhave been on a coaster with topper track, but it makes it feel like a steel coaster. I don't feel any 'wooden coaster feel' on the sections of Cyclone that have it. The majority of the rails are wood, I'm calling it wood.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby JJLehto » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:28 pm

Yeah, I call it a woodie and of course as long as its a great ride who cares, BUT I do agree...
Wood is wood for a reason. It has a feel. As does steel. There IS a difference.
So while it's nice to have super smooth woodies and all, really might as well just be steel.

That said, this seems to be mainly wood and at least it's not as bad as the SoB transition :lmao:
Also it looks so great! Especially those rolls. Beautiful.
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Fury 325, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), I305, Lightning Run
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

I don't always seduce Donkeys, but when I do I use classy Champagne!

Postby _koppen » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:57 pm

EastCoastn07 wrote:And this coaster will most likely have urethane wheels

It's a very well known fact that this ride will have steel wheels, making it feel just like a wooden coaster should.
No. 1 Water Park guy!
The Megalite is *the* roller coaster of the world! (after finally riding Expedition Geforce I'll admit it was pretty awesome as well!)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!