TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Well, look what SFOT just put on their Facebook page...

We are saying good-bye to Flashback and Texas Chute Out! Be sure to get your last ride in before September 3! http://bit.ly/MeAqhs

And their website:

August 2, 2012

A Pair of Popular Six Flags Over Texas Rides Are Going Away

Last chance to ride Texas Chute Out and Flashback

Six Flags Over Texas is inviting guests to join in and say farewell to Texas Chute Out and Flashback over the Labor Day weekend.

Texas Chute Out opened at the park in 1976 and was modeled after the old parachute drop at Coney Island. More than 29 million riders have travelled up and down the ride’s 200-foot structure. One of the most popular modes of travel on this ride was the basket, which allowed guests to stand in a basket to take in the picturesque skyline. The baskets were removed in 1994 and replaced with the standard chairs. This iconic attraction has been a long time favorite of guests young and old since its opening.

Its neighboring ride, Flashback, opened in 1989. The boomerang-styled coaster was one of the first built in the United States. The corkscrew spiraled layout flips riders upside down a total of six times—three times forward and three times backwards at speeds up to 50 mph. It has thrilled over 17 million park-goers for more than three decades.

Labor Day weekend, park guests are invited to come out and enjoy these rides one last time and join in for the final farewell on Monday, September 3. For more information on Texas Chute and Flashback, visit sixflags.com/overtexas.

Six Flags over Texas website

Edited by ernierocker

Too bad Texas Chute Out is going away (glad I got to ride it New Texas Giant Bash). But I will shed no tears for Flashback (even though it was OK as Boomerangs go).

I kind of want to go to texas over the holiday now, lol.

Let me know if you do! I've been wanting to get back to this park. It's one of my favorites in the chain. I don't care about Flashback being shut down, but closing Texas Chute Out is sad since there are not many of those types of rides left in America.

Whatever about Flashback. It's a bummer about Texas Chute Out being removed. SFOT has a great collection of old rides that they managed to keep open for a long time. I rode the parachute tower on both my visits in 2008 and 2011 and there never seemed to be a line for it. Oh well, it will be missed.

So, since Flashback is getting removed, where will it go? SFA of SFStL? Lord knows you can't get rid of a Vekoma Boomerang....

True dat! They're like the annoying internet troll that unintentionally derails every thread they post to. And won't go away. Perhaps the new ride will hop the entrance road and use more of the plot of land that Judgy sits on. Speaking of plots, who didn't see Joseph Gordon-Levitt becoming the new Batman based only on the Dark Knight Rises trailer.

So, since Flashback is getting removed, where will it go? SFA of SFStL? Lord knows you can't get rid of a Vekoma Boomerang....

Most likely to SFStL. I think SFNE's may go to SFA if it's removed.

Just what SFA needs, another Vekoma.