TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

I hope It's exciting. I've ridden 2 star flyers (Skyscreamer at SFDK, Windseeker at Canada's Wonderland) and found both really dull. They look like major thrill rides but I'd say they're less intense than a Zamperla Balloon Race.

They're great if you want air conditioning and smoothness for 4 minutes.

Great, one less person in line. I have to admit after riding the one at Great Adventure this year I absolutely love these things and love the fact that they're popping up all over the country. Each one is totally different because each one offers a totally different view and I think it provides a really cool experience. To each his own, but I think they're great and really hope this one opens. I'm sure it will provide great views of the park, the river, Springfield and maybe even Hartford given it's impressive height.

Yeah, SFNE could definitely use a cooldown attraction thanks to how ridiculously hot and humid that place gets in the summer.

Yeah like a log flume or a huge Ferris Wheel... sigh

In their defense, the replacement for the Ferris Wheel was a water ride.

Six Flags New England gets Agawam OK to build highest swing set ride in world

AGAWAM – The Zoning Board of Appeals voted unanimously Monday to grant the special permit Six Flags New England needs to build the highest swing-set ride in the world at its amusement park on Main Street.

The amusement park wants to build a 385-foot-tall swing set ride to be called the “Star Flyer.” It would replace the park’s “Sky Coaster” ride.

And just to ensure that the attraction will still be the highest swing set ride in the world should a competitor swing into action, board member Gary E. Suffriti attached the condition that Six Flags can built up to 410 feet high without coming back before the board.

Following the 3-0 vote, John Winkler, president of Six Flags New England, declined to predict by when the park will get the new attraction up and running.

“We have to work with the vendor on their schedule,” Winkler said.

A special permit is needed for the project because it involves building a structure 200 feet or higher.

The ride will consist of two sets of a dozen swings each mounted on arms that will turn around as the swings are raised upward.

Mary Roncalli-Langone of 62 Mark Drive again expressed concern that the new ride might increase noise levels and asked for noise mitigation measures. She has said she is concerned about the screams made by riders and questioned why a noise study by the park has not been readily accessible.

Officials told her a noise study done about seven years ago should still be on file somewhere in the Planning Department Office.

“I don’t think it is going to be a noise generator,” Suffriti said. “I don’t think it is going to be like a roller coaster.”

He went on to say that viewing a similar ride on You Tube alleviated any concerns he had about noise. “I think you guys have been pretty good neighbors,” Suffriti said.

“I’m satisfied with all the information they gave us,” board chairwoman Doreen A. Prouty said. “It, hopefully, is not going to be a noisy ride.”

In answer to a question by board member James C. Marmo, a park official said riders can be brought down from the top of the attraction manually in case of a power outage.

“I have no problems with it,” Marmo said of the proposed ride.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/07/six_flags_new_england_gets_agawam_ok_highest_swing_set_ride.html

SF did this just to spite me since I've been asking for this size Starflyer to be put into SFMM since Prater Turm located in Vienna, Austria opened lol

Don't complain too much -- you got the world's tallest drop ride instead.

SF did this just to spite me since I've been asking for this size Starflyer to be put into SFMM since Prater Turm located in Vienna, Austria opened lol

Don't complain too much -- you got the world's tallest drop ride instead.

Lex Luther oh yeah I had forgot about that also I'm not complaining I was trying to show my little spoiled enthusiast sarcasm sorry if I failed on that

Yeah, SFNE could definitely use a cooldown attraction thanks to how ridiculously hot and humid that place gets in the summer.

Yeah like a log flume or a huge Ferris Wheel... sigh

The flume barely provided a drizzle, and Colossus never seemed to be running whenever I was there during its run. Also, I generally avoid anything that gets me significantly wet due to my tendency to carry my wallet and cell on me, neither of which I want to be exposed to water.

These rides do absolutely nothing for me, but it makes for a great "weenie" (visual landmark for the park). I hope the next capital improvement is a major (new) roller coaster as the park already has a good mix of flats and family rides. A wild mouse, relocated boomerang, and star flyer may all be compelling for the local market, but I don't see any of these attractions nspiring people outside of an 80 mile radius to make the trip.

These are getting a bit too much for me. They were good with some height, but after a while it just gets boring. It's fine for say a roller coaster where the park can advertise a huge drop or such, but these starfliers have almost no extra thrill when they get higher in my opinion.

I doubt SFNE will ever get a ZacSpin. As I'm sure you know, they were originally getting the one that is now at SFMM. I actually think the park needs a rehab. In one off season they could do some minor improvements, like fixing the lights in Bizarro's queue to be blue or purple, not red, from it's Superman days (you know what lights I'm talking about right?). They could also fix some of the pathways, and re-open the bridge near the Antique Cars, so there's easier pathways to the south end. Buzzsaw's area just get's so cramped from all of the traffic.

^I do think that Flashback needs a replacement, but I do like your idea of general park improvements as well. I really want SFNE to bring some higher quality rides in as opposed to bringing in a higher quantity of rides. They have plenty of rides right now, they just need to improve the ones they have.