Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Supergirl Sky Flyer Announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Re: Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

Postby coast4airtime » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:07 pm

So, apparently the zoning board meeting was this morning at 8:30 and everything has been voted on. By the sound of it, SFNE is definately getting it- 200,000 tons of concrete will be needed to anchor the tower!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:49 pm

Blind Idiot God wrote:Yeah, SFNE could definitely use a cooldown attraction thanks to how ridiculously hot and humid that place gets in the summer.

Yeah like a log flume or a huge Ferris Wheel... sigh

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby ahecht » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:12 pm

coasterbill wrote:
Blind Idiot God wrote:Yeah, SFNE could definitely use a cooldown attraction thanks to how ridiculously hot and humid that place gets in the summer.

In their defense, the replacement for the Ferris Wheel was a water ride.
DISCLAIMER: Any information about rides presented here as fact has been taken from publicly available sources. The author readily admits that the rides may have been implemented differently than stated in the such sources. Any opinion statements are based on the author’s experience as a mechanical engineer and are not based on any insider knowledge or the wish to contradict those with such knowledge.

I eat bugs.

Postby deathbydinn » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:03 pm

Six Flags New England gets Agawam OK to build highest swing set ride in world

AGAWAM – The Zoning Board of Appeals voted unanimously Monday to grant the special permit Six Flags New England needs to build the highest swing-set ride in the world at its amusement park on Main Street.

The amusement park wants to build a 385-foot-tall swing set ride to be called the “Star Flyer.” It would replace the park’s “Sky Coaster” ride.

And just to ensure that the attraction will still be the highest swing set ride in the world should a competitor swing into action, board member Gary E. Suffriti attached the condition that Six Flags can built up to 410 feet high without coming back before the board.

Following the 3-0 vote, John Winkler, president of Six Flags New England, declined to predict by when the park will get the new attraction up and running.

“We have to work with the vendor on their schedule,” Winkler said.

A special permit is needed for the project because it involves building a structure 200 feet or higher.

The ride will consist of two sets of a dozen swings each mounted on arms that will turn around as the swings are raised upward.

Mary Roncalli-Langone of 62 Mark Drive again expressed concern that the new ride might increase noise levels and asked for noise mitigation measures. She has said she is concerned about the screams made by riders and questioned why a noise study by the park has not been readily accessible.

Officials told her a noise study done about seven years ago should still be on file somewhere in the Planning Department Office.

“I don’t think it is going to be a noise generator,” Suffriti said. “I don’t think it is going to be like a roller coaster.”

He went on to say that viewing a similar ride on You Tube alleviated any concerns he had about noise. “I think you guys have been pretty good neighbors,” Suffriti said.

“I’m satisfied with all the information they gave us,” board chairwoman Doreen A. Prouty said. “It, hopefully, is not going to be a noisy ride.”

In answer to a question by board member James C. Marmo, a park official said riders can be brought down from the top of the attraction manually in case of a power outage.

“I have no problems with it,” Marmo said of the proposed ride.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/07/six_flags_new_england_gets_agawam_ok_highest_swing_set_ride.html

Add me on Simpsons Tapped Out - jongrundl

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby BaMiTsPaT » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:06 pm

I think these stupidly high swing rides are a bit Excessive. I really wouldn't care if it were only 150 to 200 feet tall, but at least it'll add some life to that corner of the park.
Coaster Count: 200 Wood:35 Steel: 165

Favorite Steel: Maverick (CP)
Favorite Wood: El Toro (SFGAdv.)

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Gigalyte » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:24 pm

SF did this just to spite me since I've been asking for this size Starflyer to be put into SFMM since Prater Turm located in Vienna, Austria opened :cry: lol

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby ahecht » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:05 am

Gigalyte wrote:SF did this just to spite me since I've been asking for this size Starflyer to be put into SFMM since Prater Turm located in Vienna, Austria opened :cry: lol

Don't complain too much -- you got the world's tallest drop ride instead.
DISCLAIMER: Any information about rides presented here as fact has been taken from publicly available sources. The author readily admits that the rides may have been implemented differently than stated in the such sources. Any opinion statements are based on the author’s experience as a mechanical engineer and are not based on any insider knowledge or the wish to contradict those with such knowledge.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Gigalyte » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:12 am

ahecht wrote:
Gigalyte wrote:SF did this just to spite me since I've been asking for this size Starflyer to be put into SFMM since Prater Turm located in Vienna, Austria opened :cry: lol

Don't complain too much -- you got the world's tallest drop ride instead.

Lex Luther oh yeah I had forgot about that ;) also I'm not complaining I was trying to show my little spoiled enthusiast sarcasm sorry if I failed on that :lmao:

I don't always seduce Donkeys, but when I do I use classy Champagne!

Postby _koppen » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:26 am

AWESOME! I love star flyers, and more of the huge ones is only a good thing =)
Let's just hope that this one does not get the multicolor paint job the rest of them have!
No. 1 Water Park guy!
The Megalite is *the* roller coaster of the world! (after finally riding Expedition Geforce I'll admit it was pretty awesome as well!)

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Blind Idiot God » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:29 pm

coasterbill wrote:

The flume barely provided a drizzle, and Colossus never seemed to be running whenever I was there during its run. Also, I generally avoid anything that gets me significantly wet due to my tendency to carry my wallet and cell on me, neither of which I want to be exposed to water.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!