TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

^ I think you are too!

But what do you mean about a "non-extistent line"? Kong almost always has a 45+ minute wait when I go. But I always seem to skip that ride so you never know.

I guess I'm just lucky. I've never even seen a line on that ride at all. The last time I was there last month it was a walk on the entire day.

On the last fright fest, Kong had a line going all the way back through the entrance tunnel to the entrance sign. There is no way that that could take any less than 2 hours. The switchbacks in the station alone can take 30-40 minutes. The only other ride with a line that long was Medusa, but it generally has a higher capacity.

However, one ride that seems to never have a huge wait is Roar. Probably because, with two trains, a full queue is only a 45 minute wait. I have visited days when the park was PACKED, and Roar had only a 30 minute wait. The reason for this is probably because the wait can appear long, but it is really just one big switchback. I have noticed that switchbacks really do deceive people, as I have noticed rides with long queue stretches but few switchbacks to be viewed as long lines, but small queues with several switchbacks people will often queue for because the line looks short.

^^^ I'm glad to hear it was awesome. I need to go up to SFDK and pay my visit. Kong just sucks, I think it takes valuable ride space!

I think I'm the only one that actually likes Kong. It's rough but there's something about it that I just dig. (Other than the eternally non-existent line)

I also like Kong, it feels like the whole thing is falling apart when you're riding it and for some reason I enjoy it. Though, I rank it as the 3rd worst coaster in Northern California (after Boomerang & Vortex).

I also like Kong, it feels like the whole thing is falling apart when you're riding it and for some reason I enjoy it. Though, I rank it as the 3rd worst coaster in Northern California (after Boomerang & Vortex).

Seriously? Boomerang is actually a pretty solid ride. It's easily one of the best Boomerangs I've been on. Kong is a giant piece of crap, which sadly is also the best SLC I've experienced; but that's only because the others were so terrible. I would say Kong is easily the worst coaster in NorCal, maybe even in all of California.

SLCs are just badly designed rides, there is just no getting around it.

Seriously? Boomerang is actually a pretty solid ride. It's easily one of the best Boomerangs I've been on. Kong is a giant piece of crap, which sadly is also the best SLC I've experienced; but that's only because the others were so terrible. I would say Kong is easily the worst coaster in NorCal, maybe even in all of California.

I agree, it is a giant piece of stinking poo poo.

I agree, it is a giant piece of stinking poo poo.

I prefer Kong over Boomerang since Boomerang is just really uncomfortable, maybe it's because of my tall height and the Boomerang's OTSRs banging on my neck. I would go on Kong again, but refuse to return on Boomerang.

I prefer Kong over Boomerang since Boomerang is just really uncomfortable, maybe it's because of my tall height and the Boomerang's OTSRs banging on my neck. I would go on Kong again, but refuse to return on Boomerang.

A lot of thrill rides are hard on tall people. Have you ridden the hammerhead? My 6'3" dad complained that it was the most uncomfortable thing he'd ever ridden, and if I was a couple inches taller it probably would have been for me (I'm 6'0") too. Who thought of the one-size-fits-all automatic OTSR's?

A lot of thrill rides are hard on tall people. Have you ridden the hammerhead? My 6'3" dad complained that it was the most uncomfortable thing he'd ever ridden, and if I was a couple inches taller it probably would have been for me (I'm 6'0") too. Who thought of the one-size-fits-all automatic OTSR's?

I rode Hammerhead and it was EXTREMELY uncomfortable, even more than Boomerang.

Yeah, I guess the height thing would definitely come into play. I don't think about it as I'm kinda average in height at 5'11".

As for Hammerhead, those restraints suck for everyone with those weird bumps that jut out into your collar bone.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/great-americas-new-superman-ride-stalled-riders-bo/nP6Qr/

VALLEJO, Calif. —

Twelve people are stuck Sunday afternoon on the new Superman roller coaster at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo.

The ride stalled at the highest point of the ride around 2:30 p.m. and riders were upright, according to witnesses.

There was no word on what caused the stall and how long it would take to get the riders off the rollercoaster.

Wait a sec...reading that URL... Superman's apparently at CGA? WTF?? Double WTF for the page's title as well, followed by the story claiming it happened at SFDK.

Want some Facebook GP gold? Ask no more, here you go:

A few highlights:

great, so much for "safe rides" especially that one where you're literally hangin like you're flying in the air. Not a good place to be stuck for such a long time. I hope they all get down to the ground safely.

Perhaps you shouldn't drive anywhere, taking a drive is even more dangerous.

Frying in the hot weather for over an hour, confined and probably in an unnatural position...awful. Some would say the risk is what makes the ride so appealing. Maybe not so much after they read about the experience from the folks on the ride..

I'm sure sitting upright is a pretty awkward position...

Agreed! Who regulates these things?

Who regulates your vehicle when it breaks down/stalls on you?

Edited by ernierocker

VALLEJO (CBS13) – It’s a bird! It’s a plane! It’s stuck!

The Superman Ultimate Flight roller coaster at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom stalled with riders aboard.

At around 2:30 p.m. on Sunday, the ride stalled with 12 passengers at a peak of 150 feet which is approaching an upside-down twist.

The parks spokesperson Nancy Tran confirmed that Solano County Fire and Vallejo Fire are on scene and working on a rescue plan.

Continue to check back to CBSSacramento.com for updates on this developing story.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2012/07/superman-rollercoaster-stalled-with-passengers-onboard-at-vallejo-theme-park/#.UBW9XsKQmbA.twitter]

Another article.

Superman just stalled before the zero-g.

It's all over the news sites now. Apparently it's been stuck for just over an hour now with a full train.

I love how TPR was talking about it before the news stations. We can always say " we heard it here first"

Hope they get everybody safely and soon.

VALLEJO (CBS13) – It’s a bird! It’s a plane! It’s stuck!

The parks spokesperson Nancy Tran confirmed that Solano County Fire and Vallejo Fire are on scene and working on a rescue plan.

I would think that they already had a rescue plan developed and practiced before the ride ever opened for the public. Hopefully it is just a mis-statement by the news organization.

So I'm going to take a shot in the dark here, blindfolded and guess that there was some sort of misfire with the LIMs, just giving the coaster enough momentum to balance up top like that... I'm sure this will most likely not happen again...I mean, when was the last time TTD or Ka balanced up top from a weak-ish launch?

So I'm going to take a shot in the dark here, blindfolded and guess that there was some sort of misfire with the LIMs, just giving the coaster enough momentum to balance up top like that... I'm sure this will most likely not happen again...I mean, when was the last time TTD or Ka balanced up top from a weak-ish launch?

It sounds like this was legitimately stuck, not just balanced. TTD only requires a maintenance guy to go up and push, or the riders rock it off. I read that some one asked the riders to rock and it didn't go anywhere.

I would think that they already had a rescue plan developed and practiced before the ride ever opened for the public. Hopefully it is just a mis-statement by the news organization.

Plans are generally designed and practiced for areas of a ride that you would expect for a ride to get stuck. Parks don't practice on areas that no one anticipates a ride to stop like upside down in a loop. I think for once, the news probably got something right with that statement.

Yep, there it is...

KTVU.com superman stuck

Well it's not stuck anymore...

Rescuers used a crane to release the cars from the track shortly after 4 p.m., according to a spokeswoman for the park.

There is even RAW VIDEO, OMG, of it, um, just sitting there.

---------------------------------------

Facebook again...

I hope to God that they send someone to help them, I'm praying for y'all.

Yeah, you need to do that because they are just going to be left up there to die!

And to throw in, I would still go on the ride anyway, amusement rides are by far safer than even taking a drive to the amusement park, walking across the street, etc.

Yay somebody on Facebook actually has something intelligent to say!

----------------------

And because of what ride it is I just thought this was too funny....

And where is Superman? Haha
Edited by Tmcdllr