TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Only 200 pounds maximum? Is that normal for a boomerang slide to be so low? I guess having only single tubes will help, but it just seems really low. Hopefully they'll have a scale or something at the entrance so people don't wait in line only to not be let on.

Also, El Toro has again been ad wrapped, but I'd say these are much better than the stride ads and actually look kinda cool.

^ I have been on a couple boomerang type of slide before but they were much steeper and bigger than King Cobra. They also didn't have any of the twists before and just the drop, where you can go in a single or double tube so it was more than 200 lbs. Also I think they may also be referred to as a Half Pipe type of slide.

I actually don't mind that type of ad wrap on El Toro definitely one of the better ad wraps I have seen. That train reminds a bit of Verbolten's trains... Just saying

Edited by Athletekim

A boy riding the Kingda Ka, a roller coaster at Six Flags Great Adventure, was hospitalized after a small bird slammed into his face Thursday afternoon, park officials said.

Kristin Siebeneicher, a spokeswoman for the park in Jackson, N.J., said the roller coaster had already plummeted 45 stories back toward the ground and was pulling into the station when the bird collided with the passenger's face about 4:45 p.m.

Park officials could not disclose the age of the passenger, but said he is a minor.

The boy suffered minor injuries to his face and neck, and was taken to a local hospital, Siebeneicher said, adding that he was expected to recover from his injuries.

The thrill ride, which soars 456 feet into the air and hurls riders along the track at a top speed of 128 miles per hour, though it was unclear how fast it was going when the bird hit. The ride was closed for about a half-hour after the accident.

Oh lord. It's Fabio all over again

So the ride was pulling into the station and the bird flew into him?

What A dumb bird, I know KK doesn't fly into the station, it's doing like 10mph maximum, so the bird must have been hauling if it sent him to the hospital.

Also, how is the KK drop tower supposed to work?

The support on the back of the tower angles as it goes up, so the drop tower would have to have a curve to it, or a structure built on to maintain the verticle angle.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work on the side because of the track, but who knows.

^They did it with Superman: EFK, I'm sure they would find a way. As I think about it, I start to think that building a drop tower up the side of Kingda Ka isn't such a good idea. First of all, ^he's right, they would have to alter the coaster to be able to support a drop tower being connected to it. That, and I don't think people would want to walk the length of the launch track to ride a ride. Isn't the launch track longer than the upward distance of the coaster?

If they did it, the only plausible place for them to do it while still taking the height record would be to place it on the front side of the structure. They could fit two eight-person cars next to each other, I would think. The only "problem" there as far as placement is concerned (assuming that they've got the attaching all worked out) is being right underneath the ride, which Jersey isn't a big fan of. But with the covers over the cars that LL has, that shouldn't be an issue. So then the only thing left is the queue, which they do already have a bit of thanks to the old KK line that stretches into the infield - get a cover on that to appease the New Jersey guys and you should be okay.

I'm coming here in a little more than a week for the first time to finally ride El Toro and take it off my bucket list! Anyhow, reading reviews on Yelp, someone posted a picture holding a cup of spicy corn at the park and was wondering if anone knew what restaurant/stand serves this. Thanks!

If they did it, the only plausible place for them to do it while still taking the height record would be to place it on the front side of the structure. They could fit two eight-person cars next to each other, I would think. The only "problem" there as far as placement is concerned (assuming that they've got the attaching all worked out) is being right underneath the ride, which Jersey isn't a big fan of. But with the covers over the cars that LL has, that shouldn't be an issue. So then the only thing left is the queue, which they do already have a bit of thanks to the old KK line that stretches into the infield - get a cover on that to appease the New Jersey guys and you should be okay.

Agreed. The Drop tower(s) will most likely be placed on the front of the structure.

I'm coming here in a little more than a week for the first time to finally ride El Toro and take it off my bucket list! Anyhow, reading reviews on Yelp, someone posted a picture holding a cup of spicy corn at the park and was wondering if anone knew what restaurant/stand serves this. Thanks!

I go here often and right near El Toro is like a place that serves mexican food. They probably have it there.

The drop towers could definitely go on the back side. The support structure for Ka is a triangular shape, so if placed on the backside, they would face away from each other, and possibly need some sort of extra engineering for minimal support near the top of the towers. If Intamin can do it with their impulses, i'm sure they could minimally support a drop tower.

First post!

Im concerned we are all forget the problems that Kingda Ka had in the beginning. They had to close half the queue because of "Intamin Cable" issues. Why would they now allow the GP paths go right over to that section? Also, I find it hard to believe that we would see it on the back of the tower, there would be no view of the park from there to give you an idea on scale of how high you are going!

Now, if they did put it facing the park on the inside of the towers triangle, I think that could be cool!

First post!

Im concerned we are all forget the problems that Kingda Ka had in the beginning. They had to close half the queue because of "Intamin Cable" issues. Why would they now allow the GP paths go right over to that section? Also, I find it hard to believe that we would see it on the back of the tower, there would be no view of the park from there to give you an idea on scale of how high you are going!

Now, if they did put it facing the park on the inside of the towers triangle, I think that could be cool!

A drop tower in the center of KK's tower would be cool, I'm surprised no one has come up with that idea until now because it would probably work better than most of the other alternatives. No supports run through the center of the tower so the space is pretty much unobstructed. The park could probably also use Kingda Ka's old queue because the drop tower would not require the queue to go under the launch track.

BTW-Welcome to TPR!