TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Green Lantern is in my SFGAdv top five, but then again, my top five might be a little...weird: El Toro, Superman (believe me, only this version ranks so highly), Kingda Ka, Bizarro, Green Lantern. Though I do like Bizarro and Green Lantern about the same, for slightly different reasons.

As for the similar stand-ups, I do rank them very similarly, but with an edge to Green Lantern, as it seemed more forceful. Riddler's and Mantis also had nice forces, but didn't stand out as much, and I have Riddler's a bit higher because I think it delivered a little more airtime than Mantis.

^ I wouldn't blame him. I don't know whether I'm in the majority or minority here, but man I HATED Green Lantern when I rode it. Just boring and painful and in absolutely no way fun. I'm surprised SF was actually able to find something more uncomfortable than GASM to replace it with.

Not painful but I actually did it find it kinda boring.

It was a fine ride, but kinda...IDK forceless? I just left the ride and though "meh alright"

I personally like Mantis better.

Did anyone else know about the 7-Eleven deal yesterday before it was posted on GAdv's Facebook page ? Apparently they were allowing you to enter the park after 7:11 PM yesterday for $7.11 if you had a receipt from 7-Eleven. You were also able to get a wristband to stay in the park until 11PM and ride certain coasters.

Sounded like an amazing deal but I wish they had mentioned it a day earlier instead of the afternoon of. If I hadn't seen the post around 7 PM I would have tried going down.

Ok, It's about time I stepped in with all this Green Lantern bashing. I just got done riding it 10 times today (61 times this season). Green Lantern isn't rough. There are a few rows on... I believe the X train towards the back that are a little rough but I would be no means call the ride rough. I personally find Bizzaro to be worse. I previously read that people thought the loading was slow on the ride. I've been on every B&M stand-up but Riddler's Revenge and I've witnessed many ways of how they go about loading stand-up rides. I'd have to say that the Green Lantern crew is fast only 2nd to Mantis' (I have no idea what Cedar Point does to keep their crew so... focused on speed). I talked to one of the girls about it, and she tells me that a bunch of people have been quitting, So I wouldn't be so hard on a crew when you can tell that people are being trained.

I am by no means a fanboy of the park, it's just the closest thing to me. I'm not saying that when you guys went it wasn't rough or having a slow crew, but I'm not a fan of one bad experience and you need to tell the whole world how terrible the park/ride/employees are.

In other news... Fender Bender's foundation has FINALLY been poured where Evolution used to stand. So sorry people on the new hottness trip, I will be amazed it is ready by the time you guys visit.

I previously read that people thought the loading was slow on the ride. I've been on every B&M stand-up but Riddler's Revenge and I've witnessed many ways of how they go about loading stand-up rides. I'd have to say that the Green Lantern crew is fast only 2nd to Mantis' (I have no idea what Cedar Point does to keep their crew so... focused on speed). I talked to one of the girls about it, and she tells me that a bunch of people have been quitting, So I wouldn't be so hard on a crew when you can tell that people are being trained.

I agree with you that operations on Green Lantern are great for a standup. The line moves similar to most floorless coasters I've been on, which means it is really moving for a standup.

Well I can't vouch for others but I did say I thought the ride was smooth, (no idea how anyone thought it rough) and made no mention of load times, (seemed fine to me).

I just thought the ride was a bit of a let down lol I'll still go any time, but it was a bit forceless to me! Maybe a bad time was all?

Well I can't vouch for others but I did say I thought the ride was smooth, (no idea how anyone thought it rough) and made no mention of load times, (seemed fine to me).

I just thought the ride was a bit of a let down lol I'll still go any time, but it was a bit forceless to me! Maybe a bad time was all?

I didn't feel it was foceless or rough at all. I like the layout with the inclined loop and two CS's.

I didn't feel it was foceless or rough at all. I like the layout with the inclined loop and two CS's.

Well I've been on Mantis which I found a bit more so, it was just one ride though so I really should abstain from opinion. haha

I'll have to ride again a few times and see.

I guess it wouldn't hurt for yet another coaster geek to chime-in an opinion of the Green Lantern coaster.

I haven't ridden it at Great Adventure, but I'm glad you guys got it and we (Great America regulars) didn't Sorry...

I rode it 3 times at Kentucky Kingdom. One time in each color scheme: 1- all yellow, 2 - lime green track and purple supports and 3 - yellow track and blue supports. Other than it's cool appearance and my remembrance of each color scheme, the ride was ... crap. What's with the shallow-ish 40 degree drop? Not that a very steep drop would improve the ride. I rode Mantis again in 2011 (previous time was proabably late 90s) and it was still bad. These B&M stand ups just don't age well. Come to think, some - like Chang - don't begin well, either. Good thing I had Greezed' Viper Lightning Wave to ERT on at Kentucky Kingdom. Now THAT is a ride that is fun year after year after decade after decade...

Even Iron Wolf started out GREAT (but aged very poorly)... Riddler's Revenge seemed to be a shining star when I rode it. Vortex at Carowinds was... OK. I think I may be missing a couple others... but poor Green Chang was always painful to me. Just painful. I don't get why people rave about it. I remember overhearing a Kentucky Kingdom employee explaining how Chang was "... the BABY of the park..." I was repulsed,... ugh!

I wish B&M would just finally break down and convert these stand up coasters into sit-down lap-bar-only models. It's not rocket science (please - no "center of gravity" arguments. They are moot!)

Glad to hear I'm o

I guess it wouldn't hurt for yet another coaster geek to chime-in an opinion of the Green Lantern coaster.

I haven't ridden it at Great Adventure, but I'm glad you guys got it and we (Great America regulars) didn't Sorry...

I rode it 3 times at Kentucky Kingdom. One time in each color scheme: 1- all yellow, 2 - lime green track and purple supports and 3 - yellow track and blue supports. Other than it's cool appearance and my remembrance of each color scheme, the ride was ... crap. What's with the shallow-ish 40 degree drop? Not that a very steep drop would improve the ride. I rode Mantis again in 2011 (previous time was proabably late 90s) and it was still bad. These B&M stand ups just don't age well. Come to think, some - like Chang - don't begin well, either. Good thing I had Greezed' Viper Lightning Wave to ERT on at Kentucky Kingdom. Now THAT is a ride that is fun year after year after decade after decade...

Even Iron Wolf started out GREAT (but aged very poorly)... Riddler's Revenge seemed to be a shining star when I rode it. Vortex at Carowinds was... OK. I think I may be missing a couple others... but poor Green Chang was always painful to me. Just painful. I don't get why people rave about it. I remember overhearing a Kentucky Kingdom employee explaining how Chang was "... the BABY of the park..." I was repulsed,... ugh!

I wish B&M would just finally break down and convert these stand up coasters into sit-down lap-bar-only models. It's not rocket science (please - no "center of gravity" arguments. They are moot!)

Hey glad to hear I'm not alone!

I mean it's not a bad ride at all just eh...I left Green Lantern and thought "alright" and that's not a great sign lol

I still enjoy Mantis but yeah, even that is not as great as it seems it should be.

You may be right, perhaps these B&M stand ups dont age well (Ive only riden the two). They are fun though and have cool layouts so I'd love to see them convert to sit downs.

You may be right, perhaps these B&M stand ups dont age well (Ive only riden the two). They are fun though and have cool layouts so I'd love to see them convert to sit downs.

WITH lap bars only. Please B&M "Everyone else is doing it!"

Think about all those old Arrow coasters and all these looping B&M coasters. Now think about them with just a lap bar. Imagine the comfort and freedom. Ahhh.....

(I gotta mention at the same time how much I *strongly dislike* the newer Vekoma trains with that awful rubbery vest. It's not a good option. Less headbanging, but that is simply traded for a new sort of "hold you down and back and let you feel every jerk and bump" pain. I don't get the love. Same with the new B&M wing rider rubber vests. Uck!)

Well that'd be sweet but personally I wouldn't care because I like the B&M OTSR.

Though lap bar is of course always better!

Not to derail too far but I only rode one with the new Vekoma...I mean, it was kinda weird but I couldn't argue with em. Went from a torture device to almost no pain so I was ok with it haha

Seeing that it was supposed to rain, I went down to the park today for opening. When I got there, the parking lot was almost empty.

We first went to El Toro. We ended up staying on the ride 11 times, switching rows just one time. Those rides brought my season long El Toro count to 25 times.

By the time we finished our marathon on El Toro, it was 11:30, and we decided to check out Kingda Ka. We waited about twenty minutes for back row. Our ride was absolutely horrible. I was slammed side to side, and front to back over and over the entire way up and down. The operators also managed to double stack the trains every time.

Since it was really hot, our last rides of the day were Nitro front and back row. There was about a two train wait for each. I ended up blacking out for the entire helix both times and at the bottom of the first few drops in the back......I guess I should have drank more. We left by one.

Overall, I had an awesome morning!

Does anyone know when the flying dumbos will reopen? I find it really weird that most of a new ride has been removed.

Seeing that it was supposed to rain, I went down to the park today for opening. When I got there, the parking lot was almost empty.

We first went to El Toro. We ended up staying on the ride 11 times, switching rows just one time. Those rides brought my season long El Toro count to 25 times.

By the time we finished our marathon on El Toro, it was 11:30, and we decided to check out Kingda Ka. We waited about twenty minutes for back row. Our ride was absolutely horrible. I was slammed side to side, and front to back over and over the entire way up and down. The operators also managed to double stack the trains every time.

Since it was really hot, our last rides of the day were Nitro front and back row. There was about a two train wait for each. I ended up blacking out for the entire helix both times and at the bottom of the first few drops in the back......I guess I should have drank more. We left by one.

Overall, I had an awesome morning!

Does anyone know when the flying dumbos will reopen? I find it really weird that most of a new ride has been removed.

From what I hear it's just some routine maintenance on the cars. Hopefully they're repainting them because that ride doesn't really fit too well in Adventure Alley with it's current Golden Kingdom themeing.

Does anyone know of an email address at which I can contact Great Adventure’s entertainment, um… sector? Division? I’m trying to find a way to get my school’s band to play there during Fright Fest, and I can’t find anything on their FAQ, and all they have on their Contact Us page is a 500-character-limit form.

Animal activists decry goose death at Great Adventure

Animal activists cried foul over a move by ride operators at Six Flags Great Adventure that killed a goose Sunday.A Canada goose landed on a conveyer belt that moves rafts for the theme park's Congo Rapids. A ride operator tried to coerce the goose to fly away, but it would not move, said Nicole Cora of Southington, Conn., who witnessed the ordeal.

A staff member then decided to continue operating the ride, and the conveyer belt trapped and killed the goose as witnesses, including children, looked on, Cora said.

Rachel Ogden of GooseWatch NJ, which is devoted to the humane treatment of geese, said members of the group were "disturbed and saddened" by the event.

"Six Flags needs to develop procedures that respect the lives of animals caught in its rides, while taking into account the safety of its adult and child guests," she said in a statement. "We will be filing a request with the USDA (U.S. Department of Agriculture) for an investigation into this incident."

The Department of Agriculture oversees conservation efforts of many migratory bird species.

Six Flags spokeswoman Kristin Siebeneicher defended the decision of ride operators, and said stopping Congo Rapids would have put passengers in danger. In an emergency stop, rafts loaded with passengers would be flushed into the ride's reservoir, and guests would have to be evacuated by rope, she said.

Susan Addelston of the Jackson Animal Welfare Committee said the decision to run the ride put profits at risk, not theme park patrons.

"Seems that if the park operators were truly concerned about conservation they would have hit the control to release all of the boats, then tried to free the goose that was caught," she said.

But Siebeneicher said efforts were made to aid the fowl.

"While ensuring our guests' safety, we made every effort to save the geese, which numbered between 20 and 30 in and around the ride," said Siebeneicher. "All but one were safely relocated to the Prospertown Lake area."

Though geese have posed little problem in the past, the birds have come onto the theme park's property since August, 2011, Siebeneicher said. That month, Hurricane Irene caused a break in a spillway that emptied Prospertown Lake. The geese have since searched Six Flags grounds for other water sources, the spokeswoman said.

"We determined that the situation was handled properly, although it is very unfortunate that a goose was lost," Siebeneicher said.

Animal rights activists said more could have been done to save the animal.

"This was a tragic incident and it could have been avoided if human goose control measures, which are clearly needed here, were implemented," said Kristin Simon, a senior cruelty caseworker for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, or PETA, which is based in Norfolk, Va.

Simon said the park could employ goose scare tactics, such as motion sensors, scare crows or Mylar streamers to frighten away geese. Placing dense vegetation around water sources also makes it difficult for geese to land and nest, she said.

Matt Stanton, spokesman of the New Jersey Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, said no one had filed a complaint or called the NJSPCA hotline either Sunday or Monday about the incident. The NJSPCA investigates many cases of animal abuse reported in the state.

"As far as I know, we've never even been to Great Adventure," said Stanton, who added he has worked for NJSPCA for at least eight. "They run a safari. They tend to take care of their animals."

Courier Post