Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1436: Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure news
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby larrygator » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:29 am

Hilltopper39 wrote:Yeah, and I heard good things about Morey's Ghost Ship haunt, but I'm not sure if it's an upcharge or not.

At Morey Piers there is no entrance fee so you can either buy an all-ride wristband pay as you go. Ghost Ship the most expensive ride at Morey Pier, but is included on the all-ride wristband. However, you are only allowed to use your wristband twice to enter Ghost Ship.
Last edited by larrygator on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:30 am.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Someotherguyuser » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:35 am

Wes wrote:It has actors, just not as many as a typical Haunt maze. It's been awhile since I've been in there, but I want to say there's a Mummy, Chucky, and Frankenstein at least. But my memory sucks.

It all depends on the crowd levels. There's supposed to be the Phantom of the Opera, Nosferatu, the Mummy, Chucky, Mother from Psycho, the Wolfman, Igor, Frankenstein, and the butcher. Sounds like you went in there when several monsters were on their breaks. I go to USH quite often, and rarely have I seen the full cast. There has always been at least one or two actors missing.

As amazing it would be for Orlando to put in a year-round haunt, I'm leaning more towards Transformers replacing the SS.
Ghostbusters Ride at Universal Studios....let's Make it Happen!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/universal-studios-needs-to-make-a-ghostbusters

Postby Wes » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:05 am

I want to say there's been one time where we walked through and only saw the Mummy. But yeah, I've never seen it fully staffed with all the characters you mentioned.
I kinda wish they'd tear that building down and do something new there, but I'll save that for the USH discussion thread.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:23 pm

So this week I had the opportunity to take part in a media preview leading up to today's Grand Opening of Despicable Me Minion Mayhem at Universal Studios Florida. Both events gave me a great chance to see the care and detail that has gone into creating this new attraction, taking it beyond the experiences in attractions previously occupying this studio.

Despicable Me is the perfect family attraction for Universal Studios, plain and simple. There's something about this attraction for everyone. If you loved the Despicable Me movie, or even chuckled during the trailers for the film(s), then I have no doubt that in the least, the minions will give you reason to enjoy the attraction. Unlike its predecessors, the ride and its connective experiences (queue, pre-shows, post show and exit gift shop) all share a certain heart that can't be found in any of the other attractions in the resort. The tone of the film is perfectly extended to this attraction and it really amplifies the enjoyment you'll have for the franchise as a whole.

Despicable Me Minion Mayhem stands alone as a unique story in the realm of the films. While it retains the characters from the first movie (and the upcoming second feature), it is not anchored by any story elements from either work, rather playing off of the story to give guests a unique adventure they can only experience by visiting the attraction. On the anniversary of the day in which Gru adopted Margo, Edith, Agnes, you as guests are to be transformed into minions and trained in an elaborate obstacle course of mayhem. When the girls decide to get involved in the training process, you accidentally fall into a restricted zone within Gru's evil lab, in a wildly amusing sequence of visual and motion acrobats that end on a high note. As the ride experience ends, the minions greet you at the exit with a Boogie Fever dance party that dumps into the Super Silly Stuff store, home to an insanely large and elaborate collection of infectiously irresistible merchandise. The franchise's cute factor definitely has something to do with it.

As I mentioned before, the genius behind this attraction is the obvious care that went into the development of this new story, and the addition of the smallest details to give the story greater depth. The outside queue is lined with real banana trees, a not so subtle nod to the minions' love for the yellow fruit. Animators of the second pre-show sequence went as far as to animate the reflection of Gru's symbolic logo as it is seen on the opposite wall, so as to appear as it is reflecting off of the lab's glass from behind which Gru addresses you. In every scene that minions appear (which is every single one), each minion has its own personality, and if you were to ride a hundred times, looking at a different minion each time, you'd find a different expression or visual gag in play each time. Guests even appear on the ride's main screen as they are transformed into minions (think rebel spy from Star Tours) in a seamless integration with the main film.

Today's grand opening ceremonies capped off a huge buildup for this attraction since the original announcement earlier this year. Universal Orlando has clearly shown its pride for the attraction, and they have much to be proud of. We've been told that guest satisfaction with the experience has been through the roof and the ride is drawing consistent wait times upwards of one hour.

Special thanks to the Universal Orlando Resort for hosting us twice this week. I can truly say how much I enjoy this new experience. Despicable Me Minion Mayhem has so many layers of detail, such a heartfelt story and a ton of wacky antics that all rope me in, and I can only imagine that I'm not alone. Come by and check out Despicable Me Minion Mayhem and see for yourself why I can't help but rave. This is a fantastic addition to a resort that continues to get better and better with each new experience added!

Click to download video to your computer or iPod/iPhone

DSC03461.JPG
Mike West, Executive Producer for Universal Creative Studio gave us a tour of the attraction and answered our questions earlier this week.
DSC03802.JPG
Flash forward to today, we were at Despicable Me Minion Mayhem along the "yellow carpet" to witness the attraction's grand opening!
DSC03828.JPG
Mike West was out and about talking to media while waiting for the festivities to begin.
DSC03836.JPG
Chris Bailey, Director of Despicable Me Minion Mayhem was entrusted with leading the development of the attraction after the original film's director had to shift his focus to production of the second film. He too was out meeting guests during the pre-opening ceremonies!
DSC03840.JPG
Gru is almost ready to welcome you to his home!
DSC03846.JPG
Dana Gaier and Elsie Fisher, the voices of Edith and Agnes in the films and ride walked the yellow carpet stopping for brief interviews along the way!
DSC03850.JPG
Wait?!?! I get to walk the yellow carpet too???
DSC03851.JPG
Miranda Cosgrove, the voice of Margo in the films and ride, also known for her Nickelodeon show iCarly was also here for the grand opening.
DSC03874.JPG
Following the grand opening ceremonies, Gru, the girls and the minions all held a little dance party in front of the attraction's entrance.
DSC03910.JPG
A future press photo in the making!
DSC03918.JPG
The Despicable Me float from the Universal Superstar Parade also played a role in the grand opening ceremony.
DSC02904.JPG
Now that the attraction was really open, it was time for us to ride (again)!
DSC02935.JPG
Mike West told us that this was one of his favorite gags from the attraction's story development.
DSC02937.JPG
If you saw Despicable Me, then you'll definitely recognize this...
DSC03462.JPG
The queue is filled with little details that are presented with a humorous twist.
DSC03464.JPG
Propaganda!
DSC03465.JPG
This button as it is is better than the movie Watchmen in every way.
DSC03466.JPG
The Gru family tree.
DSC03467.JPG
Elevation changes included, you really are transported into Gru's home as it was seen in the film.
DSC03468.JPG
DSC03470.JPG
Can you see the Minions in the pottery art?
DSC03475.JPG
The attraction has two pre-show rooms, each with a very funny set of gags.
DSC03476.JPG
The explanation given for your use of the "minion goggles" is fantastic!
DSC03477.JPG
Again. If you love the minions, you will love this attraction!
DSC03478.JPG
For such an evil villain, Gru does seem to have a soft spot for Margo, Edith and Agnes.
DSC03480.JPG
DSC03924.JPG
The second pre-show continues the story in a humorous way.
DSC03928.JPG
If you're a Halloween Horror Nights, you might recognize the guest on the right from a few of the last few years' event commercials.
DSC03930.JPG
Minion transformation isn't always a uniformly successful process...
DSC03931.JPG
Gru really loves this guy! He sure knows how to party!
DSC03934.JPG
Time to scan for contaminants...
DSC03935.JPG
Gru picks out some individuals who haven't showered in a week.

I'm not making this up, I promise.
DSC03937.JPG
Fart gun? How about a banana smellitzer!
DSC03942.JPG
"You are so doomed."
DSC03944.JPG
Despicable Me Minion Mayhem sports new 4K digital projectors (the same ones used on the recently updated Spiderman attraction at Islands of Adventure). The screen was also replaced by a larger, curved screen.
DSC03949.JPG
These may be most familiar aspect of the attraction when compared to its predecessors, but just about everything else is different now!
DSC03950.JPG
The whole fleet of Minion transformation pods.
DSC02955.JPG
The attraction continues into the post show with a Minion dance party set to "Boogie Fever." Infectious and awesome!
DSC03951.JPG
Without ruining the attraction's full story, the Super Silly Stuff store continues the story as seen in the attraction film. And it works really, really well!
DSC03954.JPG
"IT'S SOOO FLUFFY!!!"
DSC03959.JPG
TPDave???
DSC03969.JPG
Another awesome shirt!
DSC03972.JPG
I think this is a pretty accurate representation of myself as a minion.
DSC03975.JPG
WOAH.

WANT.

ALL.

MUST.

BUY!
DSC03985.JPG
They have a Build A Minion toy!
DSC04004.JPG
The attraction has so many awesome details, like these banana trees lining the queue.
DSC04003.JPG
Despicable Me Minion Mayhem is a fantastic addition to Universal Studios Florida and to the Universal Orlando Resort! Come check it out! You definitely won't regret it!
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:24 am.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:00 pm

You're right, Adam--looks just like you.

Now get me my cup of coffee!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alpengeist04 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:02 pm

Thanks for the coverage of the events, Adam.

I really enjoyed riding it last week myself and was very pleased with the overall experience. It's definitely a very good addition to the park, so I have to say well done Universal. Now if we get that rumored Transformers ride next year, between the two it would definitely lessen the blow of losing Jaws.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby CoasterWeasel » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:38 pm

My daughter who is 8 said she loved the ride last week when we went, she also loves the giant fluffy she bought in the shop afterwards too. The Minions truly are taking over with the giant billboards on the building and being the first characters in the superstar parade. We had a great time at USO even though TS Debby rained on us off and on the entire day.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/b3014472c6c563e07183e709f16e4833.jpg[/img][/url]

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Someotherguyuser » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:42 pm

When Despicable Me was first announced, I thought it would just be just another overlay for Neutron. While it was an overlay nonetheless, I'm surprised at how much they've changed it up. Also that screen....wow, it's huge! Well done Universal. Looks like a very nice ride.
Ghostbusters Ride at Universal Studios....let's Make it Happen!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/universal-studios-needs-to-make-a-ghostbusters

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Andrewoplis » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:46 pm

I have to say, this is really impressive! I never thought the ride would look this good, and I haven't even seen the movies.
Hm, I see...

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:27 am

All video has been added to the original post, including interviews from the yellow carpet, a full video of the opening festivities, as well as footage from the two pre-shows and the post show Minion dance party!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!