SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 628: Ice Breaker launched coaster for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: VegasBaby and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Re: SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

Postby Dailey Enterprizes » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:05 pm

Aw, I love the Sloth. :)

I've always been hesitant taking pictures/video of complete strangers at water parks. These pictures are very good (brochure quality), but I figure if I'm with friends/family it's acceptable. To me it's different than theme parks where I'm taking pictures/video of the rides and roller coasters and not so much the passengers. I guess I really believe in privacy.

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:52 pm

I visited Aquatica back in 2010, and I can not wait to go back someday (especially on a day that's not so crowded, like the Saturday in July we went). It is a very photogenic park with a few good water slides to be ridden.

Your photos are great, thanks for sharing. Looks like the event was pretty fun.
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby masportster » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:35 pm

Just got an email that the Freshwater Oasis is now opened at Discovery Cove. Looks pretty cool.

Sounds like another trip for Adam!!

Looking forward to my next visit to Discovery Cove....such a beautiful park.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:04 pm

Discovery Cove has sent us a press release regarding the official opening of the Freshwater Oasis!

Now open at Discovery Cove in Orlando is Freshwater Oasis, an all-new attraction featuring wading adventures and face-to-face encounters with playful otters and curious marmosets.

Designed with a rainforest canopy above and sparkling-clear springs below, Freshwater Oasis is a natural fit within Discovery Cove’s tropical atmosphere. Guests can relax, explore and swim in the water-filled trails. No matter where they turn, guests will find endless discoveries.

Freshwater Oasis is included with admission to Discovery Cove, an all-inclusive tropical day resort where guests can swim with dolphins, snorkel with colorful fish and rays, hand-feed exotic birds and relax on pristine beaches, plus enjoy unlimited admission for 14 days to sister parks SeaWorld and Aquatica in Orlando.

Limited to approximately 1,000 guests per day, Discovery Cove requires advance reservations which can be made at DiscoveryCove.com or by calling 1-877-434-7268.

Seasonal rates for Discovery Cove’s Dolphin Swim Day Resort Package start at $229 (rates for Day Resort Package without dolphin swim experience and guests ages 3-5 start at $149).

To learn more about Freshwater Oasis, visit DiscoveryCove.com.

Now open at Discovery Cove in Orlando is Freshwater Oasis, an all-new attraction featuring wading adventures and face-to-face encounters with playful otters and curious marmosets.

Just across the street from SeaWorld Orlando is Discovery Cove, a limited-admission tropical day resort where guests swim with dolphins, hand-feed exotic birds in a free-flight aviary, snorkel among thousands of colorful fish and rays and relax on pristine beaches.

Freshwater Oasis
  • Designed with a rainforest canopy above and sparkling-clear springs below, Freshwater Oasis is a natural fit within Discovery Cove’s tropical vibe. Guests can relax and explore. They’ll wade, wander, swim and float in the water-filled trails and discover marmoset monkeys and playful Asian otters. No matter where they turn, they’ll find endless discoveries.
  • Unique waterways … With most of the water at waist-deep level or shallower, Freshwater Oasis invites families to explore all of its nooks and crannies.
  • In-Water Relaxation Station … The warm water is perfect for relaxing and soaking up the Orlando sunshine or to enjoy an ice-cold drink from the brightly colored sunken chairs that are built into the area.
  • More features … There are multiple entries into the water, and many pathways to discover something new at every turn.

The animals

Asian small-clawed otters
  • The smallest of all otters, the Asian-small clawed otter weighs between two and eleven pounds. Native to Southeast Asia - in areas from Indonesia, to China, to India – these playful animals can be found in the most scenic of surroundings in Freshwater Oasis.
  • Wade past rocks and trees to encounter the thriving, lush habitat of the Asian small-clawed otter. Watch as these active mammals romp and play their way through their naturalistic environment, and swim figure-eight’s around tree stumps. Experience the lively energy of the otter in an up-close-and-personal way, without ever having to leave the refreshing water.

Marmosets
  • Marmoset monkeys are native to the rainforest and upper canopies of South America. If they can’t be spotted up in the tip-top of the trees, these highly-active animals can be heard communicating through a variety of unique sounds including whistles, squeaks, clicks, and trills. Only weighing a pound when fully grown, marmosets are unique animals to take in.
  • Swim through waist-deep water to the center of Freshwater Oasis, or view from a scenic pathway, an island abundant with life. There will be no glass separating guests from the marmoset monkeys that call the idyllic island home. Look and listen as these agile animals leap from tree to tree, and watch in wonder as they run upside-down on the branches. Experience a whole new world, right in front of your eyes.

More about Discovery Cove
  • Discovery Cove is a paradise of rocky lagoons surrounded by lush landscaping, tropical reefs, winding rivers, a resort-style pool complete with waterfalls, and white-sand beaches.
  • The Grand Reef features multiple levels of exploration, from shallow waters to deeper swimming adventures, from white sandy beaches and hammocks swaying in the breeze, to snorkeling among canyons inspired by reefs from around the world.
  • SeaVenture is an underwater walking tour where guests, wearing dive helmets, find up-close encounters with sharks (safely behind massive panoramic windows), one-on-one touches with unique animals and schools of fish and gentle rays.
  • Freshwater Oasis is included with admission to Discovery Cove, which is an all-inclusive, full-day experience featuring the best animal experiences, all-day dining, and first-class amenities plus unlimited admission for 14 days to sister parks SeaWorld and Aquatica in Orlando.

Limited to approximately 1,000 guests per day, Discovery Cove requires advance reservations which can be made at DiscoveryCove.com or by calling 1-877-434-7268.

Seasonal rates for Discovery Cove’s Dolphin Swim Day Resort Package start at $229 (rates for Day Resort Package without dolphin swim experience and guests ages 3-5 start at $149). Prices vary seasonally.
Freshwater Oasis Now Open_1.jpg
Freshwater Oasis Now Open_2.jpg
Freshwater Oasis Now Open_3.jpg
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:43 am

He looks happy.
Erik Allen Elness

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby xmichellex » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:09 am

OMG the otters :lover:
Top 5 Steel: Bizarro (SFNE), Top Thrill (CP), i305 (KD), Kumba (BGT), Cali. Screamin' (DCA)
Top 5 Wood: El Toro (SFGAdv), Boulder Dash (Lake Compounce), Lightning Racer (Hershey), Beast (KI), Yankee Cannonball (Canobie Lake)
Total Credits: 141

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:06 pm

Experiencing "the lively energy" of an otter sounds kind of sick. ;)
Last edited by cfc on Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:06 pm.

Take pictures of my feet

Postby nay » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:00 pm

I never saw the original area that Freshwater Oasis replaced, but they did an excellent job with it. The otters are about 7 months old and are freakin adorable. There's a small viewing area for them if you don't want to get in the water, and then a tunnel-like viewing area in the water, almost similar to the way you view the sharks behind glass in the Grand Reef. The marmosets aren't easy to spot just yet, maybe still getting used to things there. A popular new area is a small pool across from the snack bar where you're able to bring your drinks in and relax with the built-in chairs. They have been bringing other small mammals out for guests to interact with around the oasis, like the tortoise and anteater. It's not a huge area but definitely a nice addition to the park!

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby paiging_jen » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:03 pm

I'm still so eager to check out Discovery Cove. Now that this new area is open I'll have the incentive to save up the cash to check it out. It looks and sounds great!

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:23 pm

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features_orlando/2012/07/seaworld-orlando-dine-with-shamu-returns.html

Dine With Shamu, the SeaWorld Orlando animal-interaction experience, returned to the theme park’s lineup Monday. It was the first time for guests since the death of whale trainer Dawn Brancheau at the attraction in February 2010.

Since then, SeaWorld has been retrofitting the area, including the installation of a floor that can raised in case of emergency.

Brancheau was dragged into the water by the 6-ton whale Tilikum after a Dine With Shamu session. Since then, SeaWorld workers have not been allowed to have “in-water” training or performances with its killer whales.

Prior to the incident, Dine With Shamu was considered a behind-the-scenes extra. Guests paid for a buffet and sat at tables next to a lagoon while a SeaWorld employee gave a tutorial. Trainers then put the whale through a series of flips and dives.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!