TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

They may as well get rid of it. Its probably the most ignored coaster in Florida. I guess if it really is being removed, personally I would like to see a different ride put in its place. However I guess the orangatan exhibit needs to go somewhere..

Is it even more ignored than Kraken? I hear almost nobody talk about that coaster, and its a good one.

Hayabusa.SV6

I know news about the removal of a coaster should make me sad, but this rumor brings more of a smile than a tear, is that wrong?

I went to the site where Barry got the rumor. It also looks like Haunted Lighthouse will be replaced by Pirates 4D (yay Leslie Nielsen!). This would sound like an odd rumor since it is an old film, but Screamscape already reported that this film was going to be replacing Haunted Lighthouse at Sea World in San Antonio, so it actually makes a bit of sense.

I dont think Kraken is 'ignored,' IMHO its just in a park more focused on the overall family experience. Enthusiasts seem to go out of their way for it, and Im sure if you were to put it in a park like BGT it would be just as well received by the GP as any of the other coasters there.

Python however is in a park advertised for its coasters and the thrill. Enthusiasts will ride it for the credit, but thats usually it. And even on the busiest of days it seems like the GP isnt interested in it.

Kraken IMO is not ignored, its just neglected! Maybe the solution is to swap Python for Kraken.

I hope it at least is there until the end of the year, I still want to try and get the credit before it leaves (since it seems doubtful it will be relocated).

I know it will never happen for many reasons but it would be cool if they did put it in Sesame Place since it could be considered a good starter coater for someone wanting to try a coaster with inversions, and Sesame Place could use some more rides for days when it's too cold for the water slides/rides (which are the main attraction in the park)

I don't think BGT will remove Python, lots of younger kids have had that coaster as their first looping "I'm a big kid now!" type of coaster. I hated the headbanging, but my 6 year old cousin enjoyed it back when she rode it back in 2004.

Python would be a historic loss, but if you ask me, the entire area of Congo needs an upgrade.

I'm probably the only one that would be saddened by this decision. I like Python a little bit, but not too much. Despite the uncomfort, it was a great yet short ride. I love the airtime the first drop has in the back!

-Carl "Will Miss Python, despite what everybody thinks of it" F.

EDIT:

I went to the site where Barry got the rumor. It also looks like Haunted Lighthouse will be replaced by Pirates 4D (yay Leslie Nielsen!). This would sound like an odd rumor since it is an old film, but Screamscape already reported that this film was going to be replacing Haunted Lighthouse at Sea World in San Antonio, so it actually makes a bit of sense.

YES! Lame Lighthouse may finally get a film thats slightly better...

I don't think BGT will remove Python, lots of younger kids have had that coaster as their first looping "I'm a big kid now!" type of coaster. I hated the headbanging, but my 6 year old cousin enjoyed it back when she rode it back in 2004.

That's what Scorpion is for.. esp. since it has a smaller height req

Python was one of my stepping stones towards getting on Kumba. My youngest brother rode it around the age of six (just to get the credit!) and complained it was too short. The ride clocks at about sixty seconds from dispatch to brake.

Also, didn't they refurbish the ride and station recently? Still, at least they're considering getting rid of Python rather than Scorpion.

Humm for some reason I don't beleave it at all. Over the last few months they've been working on train #2 and I've seen new fiberglass bodies and whatnot go from laying on the ground under the track to being put on the rolling stock in the maitenence area. I attached a picture from my HOS visit back when the bodies were new but off the train itself.

Colin"I dont think it's going anywhere"C

I don't think that it will be leaving. The area that it is in is very small; they just refubished the ride last year or the year before.

Personally, I didn't think the ride was very bad at all. Granted, I am very tall, and my legs hardly fit in the cars. However, I totally enjoyed it. The airtime was great in the back, and I didn't get any headbanging (though I'm really far above the harness.)

Honestly, it doesn't seem to get much ridership anymore and it is quite rough. Scorpion should stay because it has a 42'' height restriction which is great for kids. Also going upside down once is a lot less intimidating for a kid than doing it twice.

I won't miss it if it goes, but I'd rather they replace it with a flat ride (does Florida know what Flat rides are?!?!?) instead of more monkeys!

I dont think Kraken is 'ignored,' IMHO its just in a park more focused on the overall family experience. Enthusiasts seem to go out of their way for it, and Im sure if you were to put it in a park like BGT it would be just as well received by the GP as any of the other coasters there.

Python however is in a park advertised for its coasters and the thrill. Enthusiasts will ride it for the credit, but thats usually it. And even on the busiest of days it seems like the GP isnt interested in it.

Kraken IMO is not ignored, its just neglected! Maybe the solution is to swap Python for Kraken.

Umm ignored and neglected are basically the same thing.

It also looks like Haunted Lighthouse will be replaced by Pirates 4D (yay Leslie Nielsen!). This would sound like an odd rumor since it is an old film, but Screamscape already reported that this film was going to be replacing Haunted Lighthouse at Sea World in San Antonio, so it actually makes a bit of sense.

I actually hated Pirates. (IIRC, I saw it at Sea World, SD) I thought that HL (BGW) was an improvement!

Each to his own.

Back to Python, not a great loss. Not really a pain to me, as I learned to ride Arrows defensively many moons ago. The only redeeming quality that I liked about it was the headchopper caused by sitting on the right side of the train as you passed the queue house.

Oh well--TAER IT DOWN!

JJ

I won't miss it if it goes, but I'd rather they replace it with a flat ride (does Florida know what Flat rides are?!?!?) instead of more monkeys!

There used to be a flat ride across from the Python that was called the Monstrous Mamba. It was like the Monster ride at Cedar Point. Now it's a restaurant.

Umm ignored and neglected are basically the same thing.

What I meant Kraken was neglected by being put in a more family based park like Sea World instead of a thrill park like BGT.. If it was at BGT it would probably be shown more love by the GP.

On the other hand, Python is in such a park.. And its flat out ignored.

• 2 weeks later...

http://tinyurl.com/8o8r8

"The new pirate movie, Pirates 4-D, features a script written by Eric Idle, who wrote the hit Broadway musical Monty Python's Spamalot. Idle has a starring role in the movie as Pierre, loyal first mate of Captain Lucky, played by Leslie Nielsen.

The 15-minute comedy adventure will open Feb. 18 in Busch Gardens' surround-sound Timbuktu Theater, which seats 750. Viewers will wear 3-D glasses and will experience sprays of water and other special effects.

Busch Gardens' Pirates 4-D is part of a plan to build a library of films for the theater."

At least something FINALLY replaces Lame Lighthouse... Also, Adventure Island finally gets a new slide as well, happy day for BGT fanboys!

Although I will miss Tampa Typhoon alot...

on-ride.thumb.JPG.bd7b5aecb4481faf9bd74b8d6a59b3b5.JPG