Mark's Postcard Paradise

A-Z - Disney's MAGIC KINGDOM 1970's-80's
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I love donkeys more than me.

Re: Mark's Postcard Paradise

Postby simon8899 » Fri May 04, 2012 9:02 pm

Even if most indoor parks cant compete in size I think that a hall like this should be part of any major park. Especially in areas were it rains often. That way you could visit a park nicely on a showery day. Of course its all in the numbers: Will the additional cost of a huge hall be payed off be additional visitors during rainy days? As there so little of these around I guess not... :(

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby KCForce » Fri May 04, 2012 11:44 pm

thrillerman1 wrote:Can't say I ever rode it, but does Canyon Blaster at Adventuredome in Las Vegas count? Though it wasn't the classic drop, turn, cork, brakes layout, it was an enclosed Arrow cork right? And...Wow I miss Wabash Cannonball...kinda. I didn't realize Old Chicago's Cork was the same coaster moved to B'ham's fairgrounds, so I need to dig up my photos and post them from way back when too. Maybe that'll be the next update along with some Visionland junk.

Argh, and to think I rode the Canyon Blaster back in March. Yes I would count it as Arrow Corkscrew coaster. I was thinking along the lines of Arrow's Standard Corkscrew design that this coaster is, but an Arrow Corkscrew coaster also means any of the Arrows with inversions...it was the model name, for example the Orient Express at WOF was an Arrow Corkscrew coaster - according to an advertisment from Arrow talking about the Orient Express, but I digress.

I have never seen any pics of this coaster at the AL Fairgrounds, so I hope you will share.

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Sun May 06, 2012 6:32 pm

Thanks for the postcard update! Old Chicago looked like a really cool place!

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Mon May 07, 2012 6:14 am

I love that old Busch Gardens logo! Great update. I can never get enough of that funky Old Chicago park.
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby Thri!!er » Wed May 16, 2012 6:15 am

It's truly a Postcard Paradise, Marc - thank you very much for your big collection, you are sharing with us:).

Some of these are very familiar to me, like the "original postcards" (by the ticket office) from the (former) portable carnival coasters and loopcoasters... :)

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby thrillerman1 » Fri May 18, 2012 7:32 am

KCForce wrote:I have never seen any pics of this coaster at the AL Fairgrounds, so I hope you will share.

Here are my pictures of the Magic City Express in its lovely setting at the Birmingham, AL Fairgrounds circa 1986. I feel like this coaster has found a much better home in New England.
img224_800x558.jpg
img225_800x563.jpg
img226_800x568.jpg
img227_800x565.jpg
img228_800x578.jpg
img229_800x568.jpg

Postby thrillerman1 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:32 pm

Continuing in the Birmingham area (not England mind you but props to the Brit Crew), this update features a park that seems to have fallen on hard times. For 2012, Visionland (aka Alabama Adventure) has closed the rides side of the park and is now operating only as a waterpark. Boo. We'll see how long that lasts, but based on the many harsh and negative comments from the GP on the park's Facebook page, I would be very surprised to see the park make it to a 2013 season. Anyway, I digress, and I really should mention I only visited the park once in 2003 during their Halloween event. I found the park to not be nearly as bad as I'd heard (some people love their cheese and whine) and actually enjoyed my visit. Rampage, of course, was a good coaster in the day, but at night was just ballistic insaneness. LOVED IT. Too bad this park's days are really numbered in my opinion, but I hope I'm proven wrong. It certainly won't be the first time it has been saved...if it is saved again.
Visionland Front_600x426.jpg
I got nothing.
Visionland Back_600x421.jpg
VL1_265x600.jpg
2004 brought a new toilet bowl waterpark attraction. Foreshadowing?
VL2_543x600.jpg
The park actually had a pretty nice "main street", and I liked the placement of the giant Ferris wheel acting as the axis endpoint much like the Disney castles.
VL3_525x600.jpg
This was one of the wildest Wave Swingers I've ever ridden besides Kurashiki Tivoli's.
VL4_529x600.jpg
VL5_265x600.jpg
VL6_256x600.jpg
VL7_779x600.jpg
TRIVIA: Who knows where the other half of the freefall drop towers ride was moved and operates today?
VL8_508x600.jpg
At least the park's logo improved from the postcard. With the right park owners I really feel like this park could be revived...too bad it's pretty much a goner now.

Postby thrillerman1 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:23 pm

Comic Con 2012...is it already that time of year again?! SERIOUSLY??? Each year I usually try to do a little tie-in with arguably the world's most epic comic convention. So in the spirit of all things comic as well as the new Dark Knight Rises flick, here's an oldie...no I mean an OLDIE. It's AstroWorld's Batman The Escape along with the 1983 park brochure...
BTE Front_426x600.jpg
R.I.P Batman...
BTE Back_600x428.jpg
or will you rise again in NY one day?
1983 Brochure 1_251x600.jpg
Sigh
1983 Brochure 2_503x600.jpg
Sorry Disney but this really should've been named Tron-evator. The cars even look like they were influenced by the movie and the evil MCP!
1983 Brochure 3_563x600.jpg
FACT: One can never have too much Schwarzkopf (or Texas Cyclone for that matter).
1983 Brochure 4_501x600.jpg
Whatever happened to the Rapids Nerd?
1983 Brochure 5_251x600.jpg
TRAGIC.

Postby thrillerman1 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:45 pm

December teaser
i c u 2.jpg

Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:18 pm

^Yay!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!