Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 968 - Hallowscream to return this year
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK) Discussion Thread

Postby ernierocker » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:47 am

kidcoaster 2 wrote:You had to enter the park first. But than you had to cross the bridge and walk around to the side of the water park so it was a hike.

Yeah, that would be kind of awkward if they just opened with the water park and you would have to walk through a deserted theme park just to get to it.

Beer Man

Postby mcjaco » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:49 am

Hilltopper39 wrote:I get the impression that the damage across the whole park was more severe than they originally thought and that they have had to revise their initial plans for the property.

Then the Koch's didn't do their homework. And that's pretty scary when you're putting up millions of dollars.

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:37 pm

Jew wrote:Ed Hart is just pissed he's not the one getting to spend other peoples money. I doubt even his amount of money would have gotten the park fully up and running.

This was more of what I was thinking, although I couldn't guess where the money was truly going to go.
ernierocker wrote:
kidcoaster 2 wrote:You had to enter the park first. But than you had to cross the bridge and walk around to the side of the water park so it was a hike.

Yeah, that would be kind of awkward if they just opened with the water park and you would have to walk through a deserted theme park just to get to it.

There is a small grassy lot behind the spot where Chang stood. I bet they're going to use that. I posted a photo of it a few pages back. Using it means that people can avoid having to pay the price of parking issued by the State Fair Board (IIRC, it was $15) and having to hike your way to the opposite side of the park. The only downside to is that it's sorta limited in the amount of space available.

Edit: Found the photo.
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:31 pm

The park already announced there will not be free parking because "they won't have control over the parking lot."

Postby Midgetman82 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:04 am

Poor Kochs. They planned for so much, but could only do so little.
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:07 pm

Bluegrass Boardwalk has sent us a press announcing their withdrawal from the Kentucky Kingdom revival project.

Following nine months of planning to reopen Louisville’s shuttered amusement park, Bluegrass Boardwalk, Inc. today withdrew from the project.

“We entered into this discussion last October with full expectation of leasing the park,” says Bluegrass Boardwalk CEO Natalie Koch. “However, we have come to the realization that leasing a park rather than owning it would take us too far from the business model my family has followed for more than 60 years.”

Koch says she and her partners were financially prepared to meet the challenge of reopening the abandoned park, however the many layers of governmental regulations and stipulations ultimately caused them to withdraw.

Koch says she and her partners believe reopening the Louisville park is still a worthwhile project and they wish the future operator well.

“It’s been a lifelong dream for my family to operate a second park,” says Koch, whose family owns and operates Holiday World in Santa Claus, Indiana. “It’s hard to walk away from what we believed was a winning partnership for Kentucky and our team. But at the end of the day, the terms of the project did not fit our business model. It was time to withdraw.”

A letter terminating the proposed lease agreement was delivered to the Kentucky State Fair Board this afternoon.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby sobrider » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:14 pm

Sad but not unexpected. Once you kicked the tires a bit more they had to realize this was bad idea and to get out before the sank them

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:14 pm

Two things -

1. I can't say I'm surprised - but happy they came to this conclusion now rather than later.

2. I don't ever see this park re-opening again.

--Robb

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:18 pm

AAAAAND...cue makeshift campaign to save Greezed Lightnin' with nothing but a pickup truck and some rusty wrenches in 3, 2, 1...
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Postby Midgetman82 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:22 pm

Speechless... Absolutely... and utterly... speechless...

I'm not sad or mad, nor am I shocked. I just can't believe how hard it seems to reopen a park that a large company abandoned after plucking a few of it's good feathers, and I can't believe how the two groups who tried to save it blame it's condition and the state of Kentucky for making it too difficult.

I give up on this park.

Edit: Even Six Flags commented that leasing the park was something they didn't like, especially when they were near bankruptcy.
Last edited by Midgetman82 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:24 pm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!