TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

I have a friend in Kentucky. He recently suggested to the Kochs that they build a Mega-Lite in Bluegrass Boardwalk. They said, and I quote: "That's not a bad idea."

Granted, this is complete hearsay, but if Bluegrass Boardwalk does get a Mega-Lite, you heard it from me first.

Again, this is just based on a phone conversation with someone who submitted a suggestion and got a response.

I have a friend in Kentucky. He recently suggested to the Kochs that they build a Mega-Lite in Bluegrass Boardwalk. They said, and I quote: "That's not a bad idea."

Granted, this is complete hearsay, but if Bluegrass Boardwalk does get a Mega-Lite, you heard it from me first.

Again, this is just based on a phone conversation with someone who submitted a suggestion and got a response.

I remember on Holiday World's Facebook page that they were "Researching" on Intamin and BGT's Cheetah Hunt. They may be looking into Intamin

Pretty interesting article there by Ed Hart, does raise a few questions about the history of this project. I agree with most of his points, except I have to think that the team that won the bid to operate the park (Holiday Workd/Kochs) had the places best interest in mind all along. Well see what ends up happening with this place, but after these recent reports of the existing condition of the property I can't get my hopes too high.

Pretty interesting article there by Ed Hart, does raise a few questions about the history of this project. I agree with most of his points, except I have to think that the team that won the bid to operate the park (Holiday Workd/Kochs) had the places best interest in mind all along. Well see what ends up happening with this place, but after these recent reports of the existing condition of the property I can't get my hopes too high.

What can we expect what with the way SFI just took what they could as fast as they could & then left the rest to rot?I applaud the Kochs for wanting to take up the challenge of turning the place around & bringing it back from the dead...too bad this couldn't have been done with GL & or SFAW.

What can we expect what with the way SFI just took what they could as fast as they could & then left the rest to rot?I applaud the Kochs for wanting to take up the challenge of turning the place around & bringing it back from the dead...too bad this couldn't have been done with GL & or SFAW.

Geauga Lake is still kinda open. Too bad Cedar Fair won't add any waterpark attractions to it since 2006.

• 2 weeks later...

Appears that there is an update to the SFKK saga.

FRANKFORT, Ky. -- The Kentucky Tourism Development Finance Authority has approved incentives for Bluegrass Boardwalk to open in Louisville.

After hearing a presentation from their consultant, the Authority unanimously approved the 3.9 million dollar incentive package. Kentucky Tourism Secretary Marcheta Sparrow says the impact of the park on tourism will be tremendous, and a great addition for the state's largest city.

Bluegrass Boardwalk co-owner Mike Kamp says they are pleased by the Authority's action, and their next step is to go to the State Fair Board at their June or July meeting, to get an extension for the opening to 2014.

The park was last open as Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom in 2009.

Read more: http://www.whas.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=283307&article=10198628#ixzz1xidt81sk

^I don't necessarily think so. I would think that from a maintenance standpoint water park attractions would be a lot easier to get fixed up and reopened that amusement park rides would be, and if their new plans are to just get the water park open first then I think 2014 is still feasible. I get the impression that the damage across the whole park was more severe than they originally thought and that they have had to revise their initial plans for the property. The recent tax incentives are probably the most promising news for this place yet.

^Of course he's mad about it. But his point about the Koch family's proposed intial investment being inadequate to get this park going again is accurate. It's going to take a pile of cash to reopen this park after years of Six Flags neglect followed by the park sitting around rotting. This is way beyond repainting buildings and putting in free soft drink machines.

Ed Hart is just pissed he's not the one getting to spend other peoples money. I doubt even his amount of money would have gotten the park fully up and running.

You had to enter the park first. But than you had to cross the bridge and walk around to the side of the water park so it was a hike.

Yeah, that would be kind of awkward if they just opened with the water park and you would have to walk through a deserted theme park just to get to it.

I get the impression that the damage across the whole park was more severe than they originally thought and that they have had to revise their initial plans for the property.

Then the Koch's didn't do their homework. And that's pretty scary when you're putting up millions of dollars.

Ed Hart is just pissed he's not the one getting to spend other peoples money. I doubt even his amount of money would have gotten the park fully up and running.

This was more of what I was thinking, although I couldn't guess where the money was truly going to go.

You had to enter the park first. But than you had to cross the bridge and walk around to the side of the water park so it was a hike.

Yeah, that would be kind of awkward if they just opened with the water park and you would have to walk through a deserted theme park just to get to it.

There is a small grassy lot behind the spot where Chang stood. I bet they're going to use that. I posted a photo of it a few pages back. Using it means that people can avoid having to pay the price of parking issued by the State Fair Board (IIRC, it was $15) and having to hike your way to the opposite side of the park. The only downside to is that it's sorta limited in the amount of space available.

Edit: Found the photo.