Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

P. 124: Carnevale at Maria & Enzo's Ristorante details!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can I park my donkey here?

Re: Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

Postby Cobra Commander » Mon May 21, 2012 6:33 pm

This resort should be interesting to follow with the family value suite, which is a great idea.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue May 22, 2012 8:29 am

We'll be staying at the Finding Nemo themed wing of the brand new resort next week and will post videos and pictures!

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed May 23, 2012 6:51 am

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/05/high-performance-karting-added-to-the-car-masters-weekend-lineup-june-2-3/

I didn’t think the offerings at Car Masters Weekend at Downtown Disney here at Walt Disney World Resort could get any better, but they just did. High-Performance Karting from the Richard Petty Driving Experience has just been added to the line-up of car-themed fun for the June 2-3 event.
kar123234LARGE.jpg

This karting experience is designed to challenge your driving skills in a high-action race environment, with the goal is to score the best lap time in your racing group. The offering, which will be set up in Parking Lot “K” at Downtown Disney, will cost $20 (plus tax) per person and is open to licensed drivers age 16 and older. Each additional ride is $10. All participants must sign a waiver, and closed-toed shoes are required.
2kar123234LARGE.jpg

Hours of operation are the same as the Car Masters Weekend event hours, 9:30 a.m. – 7 p.m. (Activity is subject to change).
Who knows, maybe I’ll see you out there!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed May 30, 2012 11:53 am

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/05/earning-my-wings-earning-my-ears-with-southwest-airlines-and-disneys-art-of-animation-resort/

As we get ready to officially lift the curtain and unveil our newest hotel at Walt Disney World Resort, Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, I had the chance to take a tour of the wonderfully imaginative and themed resort. But not just any tour… The great cast at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort asked me to try out a few occupations in celebration of this amazing destination. I jumped at the chance.

To help show you the new resort, we’ve joined with the fine folks at Southwest Airlines for this video preview. The airline has more than 100 flights daily to Orlando, which means there are plenty of opportunities to climb aboard one of their famous Canyon Blue-hued airplanes and visit Walt Disney World Resort.

When completely open, Disney’s Art of Animation Resort will bring four new worlds to the wonderful world of Disney — 1,120 suites designed after the animated hit films Finding Nemo, Cars and The Lion King, and 864 rooms inspired by The Little Mermaid. Each section of the resort will open in phases, with dates listed below (*subject to change):
  • Finding Nemo Family Suites: Now Open
  • Cars Family Suites: Opening June 18, 2012
  • The Lion King Family Suites: Opening August 10, 2012
  • The Little Mermaid Standard Rooms: Opening September 15, 2012
nem117839LARGE.jpg

Walt Disney Imagineers designed Disney’s Art of Animation Resort with custom furniture and amenities, playful (and immersive, as you’ll see) courtyards and innovations including a family table that transforms into a bed. The spacious suites offer guests plenty of room to stretch out with all of the theming, whimsy, attention to detail and quality service you’ve come to expect at a Disney Resort.

In this video, I had a chance to try out a few roles at the resort and experience some Southwest Airlines “LUV” at one of the airports they serve.

Where I grew up I might say I had to “sing for my supper,” but I had to earn my ears and my wings while testing out various roles. Needless to say, I had a lot of fun and learned even more while test-driving some of the services Disney Parks and Southwest Airlines provides guests and passengers.

To find out more about Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, Southwest Airlines and ways to plan your Disney vacation, fly on over to this special website: http://www.southwest.com/disney/
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby Hockeyman55 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:44 am

Here is a picture I took at Car Masters Weekend yesterday of the Lightning McQueen car they had out on display. I didnt take all that many pics while there since it was a quick trip thru Downtown Disney before heading home.
7331028296_8bddc63872_c.jpg

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:58 am

http://hotelbusiness.com/hb/links/news/news.asp?ID=43263

B Hotels & Resorts will open its next hotel in the Downtown Disney Resort Area of the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, FL in Fall 2013.

The existing hotel, the 394-room Royal Plaza, is situated within walking distance to Downtown Disney, with easy access to all theme parks and venues. The property was acquired by InSite Group and Cube Capital in December 2011 and will remain operational during a complete renovation and repositioning.

The B resort in Lake Buena Vista will incorporate elements to attract families, featuring inviting designs, in-room game consoles, bunk beds in selected guestrooms, and internationally recognized culinary experiences.

As part of the brand offerings, the resort will provide complimentary technology amenities such as: FreeB Wi-Fi throughout the resort, including guestrooms and meeting spaces; courtesy iPads; and Monscierge, a digital touchscreen concierge and destination guide.

“The B in the Walt Disney World® Resort is going to be a unique venue for visitors who are looking for an upscale lifestyle experience, tranquility and relaxation after and between fun-filled days at the adventure parks,” Ayelet Weinstein, President and CEO of B Hotels & Resorts, said in a statement. “It is being designed to allow interaction of families, couples, groups and individuals in an inspiring and stylish environment, with great amenities including international culinary concepts and a full service spa, while implementing the B Brand approachable service culture.”

The hotel will be officially launched as part of the South Florida-based B Hotels & Resorts family in the fourth quarter of 2013. It will become the third hotel B Hotels & Resorts has added in less than 18 months.

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:27 pm

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dolby-theater-atmos-sound-334215

In addition to Hollywood's Dolby Theatre, AMC complexes in Burbank and Sherman Oaks will be among the sites to offer the immerseive sound format.

Dolby revealed the first locations in the world—including 16 theaters in North America, among them Hollywood’s newly named Dolby Theatre—that have been selected to offer its new immerseive sound format Atmos.

In additional to the Dolby Theatre, North American movie theaters that will install Atmos are: AMC Barrywood 24, Kansas City; AMC Burbank 16; AMC Century City 15; AMC Downtown Disney 24, Lake Buena Vista, Fla.; AMC Garden State 16, Paramus, N.J.; AMC Van Ness 14, San Francisco; Arclight Sherman Oaks; Century at Pacific Commons and XD, Fremont, Calif.; Cinemark West Plano and XD, West Plano, Texas; SilverCity Young Eglinton Cinemas, Toronto; Cinetopia Vancouver Mall 23; and Kerasotes Showplace ICON at Roosevelt Collection, Chicago. Brenden Theatres at the Palms in Las Vegas, where Atmos debuted at CinemaCon in April, also offers the format.

The Dolby Theatre—home of the Academy Awards—will have its grand opening on June 18 with the premiere of Disney/Pixar’s Brave, as part of the Los Angeles Film Festival.

The Brave premiere will be screened with the Dolby 3D system, but it is still unconfirmed that an Atmos mix will be ready for the premiere.

Seven-time Oscar winner Gary Rydstrom is serving as sound designer and re-recording mixer on a test Atmos mix of Brave that is underway at Skywalker Sound. (Skywalker and China-based sound postproduction facility China Film Post offer Atmos sound mixing).

Current plans call for up to 15 theaters worldwide to show Brave with the trial Atmos mix when the movie opens on June 22.

In international markets, the following theaters are on their way to becoming Atmos-ready: Cinesa Diagonal Mar, Barcelona, Empire Leicester Square, London; and China Film Stella Theater Chain Hefei 1912, Shanghai Film Art Center, UME Shuangjing, and Wanda Cinemas Wuhan Lingjiao Lake, China.

In order to outfit auditoriums for the new format, Dolby reported that theater owners can still use the "majority of their existing sound system" though additional speakers and amplification must be installed. Dolby estimated that an "average mid-size" theater could expect to make an investment of around $25,000-$30,000 for this upgrade.

Atmos was developed to create “lifelike” and “immersive” sound and involves the placement of speakers all around an auditorium as well as across the ceiling. The system is designed to transmit up to 128 simultaneous and lossless audio channels, and renders from 5.1 up to 64 discrete speaker feeds, according to Dolby.

Various Dolby screening rooms at offices in the U.S. and Europe will also offer Atmos.
dolbyatmos-logo-2012.jpg

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:47 am

Earlier last week I had the chance to visit Disney's Art of Animation Resort on its opening day. Built into the same footprint as the originally planned Legendary Years (with two of the Little Mermaid buildings actually being remnants of the abandoned resort project), many expected this project to become the new Pop Century Resort, but I am happy to report that this is so much more than that!

Themed around four popular Disney franchises, the first wing to open is the Finding Nemo section with the Cars themed wing opening very soon. Soon after that will be the Lion King wing and last to open will be The Little Mermaid which unlike the other wings consists of traditional hotel rooms. I make note of this because there's something very unique about the approach to the design of these rooms. Themed family suites make up the mass of this resort, fitting clever designs into the building shell as would have been built for the Legendary Years. With a single bedroom attached to a living room with two bathrooms and a table that converts into a pull-down bed, the room is designed for families to partake in. Heavily themed in every way, lighting fixtures, wallpaper and even bathroom sinks all convey the story of the room you're in. Inside of the (enclosed) building hallways to the rooms are pieces of film-related art unique to each floor.

Outside of the buildings, there is no shortage of additional theming. Quite the contrary, the resort sports a surplus of overwhelming facade and design work. Gigantic representations of well known characters tower over guests and smaller statues line the wall ways around each building. Even on the backsides of the building are sketchpad designs that imitate the creation of a moving character from the respective Disney film.

I think I was most clearly taken aback by the amenities found within the Animation Hall, the lobby of sorts for the Art of Animation Resort. This resort is the first to employ a system "islands" for a more personalized check-in experience, rather than the traditional stand-behind-the-counter approach. The interior is designed beautifully with an incredible transition of vivid colors spanning the lobby through clever lighting. The walls opposite the check-in feature early concept sketches of Disney characters from the four films represented in the resort, making a pretty incredible mural to behold. Even the atrium sports a unique chandelier with bulb covers also featuring sketches of Disney characters. While parents are checking in, kids can take part in a small Animation Academy of sorts with featured Disney artists on hand to teach daily drawing lessons. This same space also hosts the standard Disney cartoons for the lobby when the artists aren't present.

The Animation Hall hosts the resort's arcade which is one of the first on Disney property to be completely paperless in its pay-to-play system. It features some of the newest arcade games including Speed of Light, Tron Legacy pinball and a custom four-way air hockey table that is sure to create some awesome mayhem for the families to enjoy (we certainly dropped a good deal of money on this game during our visit).

The Ink & Paint Shop is the resort's gift shop and is very well designed in every way. It matches the tone of the rest of the resort but also has some clever pieces of its own including paint-jar display cases and a very gradual shift of color scheme throughout the store. Looking back on the history of this resort's development, it should be noted that this store's fixtures were designed by a Disney Professional Internship Program participant, as seen in this Disney Parks Blog post we shared a while back.

Landscapes of Flavor is the resort's food court, designed (at least physically) in a similar model to that found at Disney's Pop Century Resort. Despite a similar layout, this place is a hidden gem in the Walt Disney World counter service dining catalog. With a unique menu designed from scratch by Disney, it features five main stations. The first station is a smoothie and gelato counter for those with a sweet tooth. Next up is the create-your-own salad station (haven't tried this yet, but my friends who did were extremely happy with their choices, as well as the serving size of their entrees). Moving on you get to the Tandoor/Mongolian BBQ station, which is seems to be the one for the most adventurous of eaters. I didn't have a chance to order my own yet (I was too enticed by the other offerings I'll soon describe) but my friends that tried the Tandoor chicken with paneer cheese and basmati rice along with naan bread all loved it. Next was the Pizza and Pasta counter, likely designed to appeal to the more picky of eaters, but even this has been built up to be more than the standard. I tried the "create your own" pasta for dinner that evening and loaded it up with shrimp, sausage, prosciutto, cheese, sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms, onions and olives, all in an alfredo sauce. For quick service pasta, it was possibly the best I've had at Walt Disney World.

The last counter is the burger station, which was definitely my favorite. I opted to try the Surf and Surf Burger first, which is a crab cake sandwich topped with popcorn shrimp and a delicious cajun remoulade. With the option to customize any of the burgers at this counter, I added a fried green tomato to the sandwich, which ended up being a great choice. The shrimp was clearly made fresh and wasn't the standard frozen fare served in the parks. The crab cake was delicious and was probably 90% crab meat and 10% breading, which was spectacular. I'd go so far as to say that this sandwich is something I'd order at a sit down restaurant and stood up to some similar sandwiches I have had at established seafood restaurants like Legal Seafood. The sandwich was so good, I ended up getting it again for lunch the following day.

I won't further bore you as I salivate over the food but we sampled so many items during our visit. The pastrami burger, the smoothies, the cheesecake bites and the chocolate cookie crumb cake were all stand outs amongst our selections, but nothing we had wasn't at least good, if not great or incredible. Oh, and if you're a beer fan, the location serves locally sourced beers from Orlando breweries which is a plus!

Moving outside, we had a chance to visit the pool area at the Finding Nemo wing. The pool is the largest one in the Walt Disney World Resort and is a zero-entry pool. Underwater speakers installed in the pool allow swimmers to hear the characters from Finding Nemo talking and singing, along with the music being pumped underneath--another really neat touch! The area also hosts a water play area for kids, as well as a dry slide section down the way. The pool area has a bar for the adults, and a few family games including a four-way ping pong table.

There simply isn't anything about this resort I don't love. It is easy for you to get wrapped up in the level of theming in the resort, even if you aren't the biggest fan of the film that surrounds you. The family offerings are clever and useful, and the resort is designed beautifully with all guests in mind. Landscapes of Flavor is a spectacular step forward in quick service dining, one that I hope other eateries in Walt Disney World will eventually take pages from, because it is just that great.

I'll be revisiting this resort (soon and frequently) and will likely have more reason to walk around once the new wings open up. If you get a chance, come out and visit Disney's Art of Animation Resort. You'll be impressed, trust me.
DSC02632.JPG
Our visit started our with a special "pool party" to launch the resort for guests.
DSC02634.JPG
And guess who showed up?
DSC02638.JPG
The first gift of Christmas!

(Sad that I of all people make this reference.)
DSC02640.JPG
Looking across the huge pool at the Nemo Wing towards Animation Hall.
DSC02641.JPG
It looks so nice!
DSC02644.JPG
There's even a huge water play area for the kids!
DSC02647.JPG
It's huge!
DSC02649.JPG
You're sure to recognize the characters from the film throughout the area, including some of the lesser-seen ones.
DSC02652.JPG
A huge Mr. Ray marks the entrance to one of the buildings.
DSC02657.JPG
There's a dry play structure here too.
DSC02658.JPG
The detail on these models is stunning.
DSC02663.JPG
Some unique view points set up throughout the area.
DSC02666.JPG
Um... When did I miss Finding Nemo 2-4? That fish sure gets lost a lot.
DSC02666.JPG
DSC02668.JPG
This picture serves two purposes:

1. Here's the photo people can make fun of me for taking.
2. It shows that the signage design is clever, using the school of fish from the film to spell out the letters.
DSC02669.JPG
Mine?
DSC02673.JPG
While it isn't open yet, guests can still walk around a good portion of the Cars wing at Disney's Art of Animation Resort.
DSC02674.JPG
The backsides of the buildings feature sketches of characters from the wing's respective film.
DSC02675.JPG
We may not have Cars Land, but this does look pretty great!
DSC02676.JPG
Less than a week to go!
DSC02680.JPG
DSC02681.JPG
Foosed!
DSC02682.JPG
I spy Mater!
DSC02683.JPG
Anyone want some Chili Con Cone?
DSC02685.JPG
Luigi's Leaning Tower of Tires...
DSC02686.JPG
DSC02689.JPG
DSC02690.JPG
We have a Cadillac Range too!
DSC02692.JPG
Each of the buildings masks their stairs in a unique way.
DSC02693.JPG
Looks like they're ready to go!
DSC02694.JPG
DSC02696.JPG
Looking forward to roaming this courtyard very soon!
DSC02698.JPG
Enclosed and air conditioned hallways! Best decision ever!
DSC02699.JPG
Disney's Art of Animation Resort is the first to use RFID access cards for room entry.
DSC02700.JPG
Looks pretty similar to those Fastpass+ (xPass) readers spotted in the park a few weeks ago, right?
DSC02701.JPG
Unique artwork for each floor!
DSC02702.JPG
Access to the pool area is also RFID enabled!
DSC02703.JPG
Dude!
DSC02716.JPG
Time to take a look at the room...
DSC02717.JPG
It starts as a table...
DSC02718.JPG
And transforms into a bed!

I still haven't found the Allspark in the room.
DSC02719.JPG
The guest bathrooms are themed to the submarine from Finding Nemo.
DSC02722.JPG
And here's the adults' room.
DSC02723.JPG
Another room (the model for tours) features a flipped layout, but it is pretty much the same.
DSC02724.JPG
The Lion King wing is the third that will open.
DSC02725.JPG
Mufasa!
DSC02727.JPG
Landscapes of Flavor is just awesome!
DSC02729.JPG
The Ink & Paint Shop looks great too!
DSC02732.JPG
The Animation Hall's cool chandelier...
DSC02809.JPG
My "create-your-own" pasta...
DSC02814.JPG
This certainly doesn't look like the Legendary Years!
DSC02815.JPG
Closing time...
DSC02816.JPG
DSC02818.JPG
So long Art of Animation...
DSC02820.JPG
See you soon to check out the Cars wing!

Beer Man

Postby mcjaco » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:38 am

I know nothing about staying on property. Is this a moderate resort???

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby HighRoller » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:53 am

This is actually a Value Resort... though most agree it's at the top end, but still in the "Value" category.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!