TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

Just found this on the BBC News website:

Man rescued from Oblivion ride at Alton Towers

The Oblivion ride at Alton Towers had to be closed after a man entered a prohibited area and needed rescuing.

A spokesperson for the Staffordshire theme park said a young man managed to get into the ride's tunnel at about 14:20 BST.

The ride was stopped and the surrounding area cordoned off while three fire crews rescued the man.

He was safely removed and taken to University Hospital North Staffordshire as a precaution.

The spokesperson said: "As with all our rides the area surrounding the Oblivion track is securely fenced off and ride operators reacted immediately in line with our well rehearsed safety procedures.

"A full investigation will now be carried out."

The Oblivion ride remained closed following the incident but is due to reopen again as normal on Wednesday.

Source: BBC News

There really is no hope for the human race....

542959_235714136529722_163017053799431_330063_1673624787_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/TheThemeParkCentral-Official/163017053799431

What? how in the world did he get there? Clime over the fence or something? Really how the F*** did he get there? I don't know how to react anymore. This is just weird and stupid. That fence stands there for a reason boy don't clime on it (I think that happened). Come on seriously whats whit people these days.

^That actually is a piece out of the Merlin-submitted planning documents, though it looks more detailed (maybe some final plans?). At the least, it is from the SW7 layout provided.

I think that was for the comparison - the picture on the right comes, as you quite rightly said, from the SW7 layout and the picture on the left was of the Maurer-Sohne booklet. The point he was making was how similar the SW7 design was to the Maurer one.

^That actually is a piece out of the Merlin-submitted planning documents, though it looks more detailed (maybe some final plans?). At the least, it is from the SW7 layout provided.

I think that was for the comparison - the picture on the right comes, as you quite rightly said, from the SW7 layout and the picture on the left was of the Maurer-Sohne booklet. The point he was making was how similar the SW7 design was to the Maurer one.

I know that's what he was saying, I was backing it up by showing that he's correct.

Its just been reported that from Monday 21st to 25th May, Nemesis Sub Terra will be closed to make improvements to the ride, Of course with the very mixed and often poor feedback from the ride, I think there was no dought that Alton were going to make improvements. No Word on what exact changes will take place, but it sounds good, and I hope they now do the ride justice, lets not forget that Hex massively improved after the very first version so I hope Alton will do just a good job here too.

I wont be back upto Alton until late season, so hopefully someone else can report on the changes when it happens

• 2 weeks later...

Well does anyone know for a 100% sure how is building SW7? The last I knew about it was that there where two party's one yelling Gerstlauer Eurofighter the other Maurer Shöne X-car. I still don't know much about the whole project, like why is it a Secret Weapon? Whats new about the design? And now the start whit the construction of it, seems they start early.

From Wikipedia.

Reports and multiple researches carried out by Alton Towers confirm that SW7 will be a Gerstlauer EuroFighter with 12 loops (a worlds first). It will also contain features in the seats that add an extra element (they poke and grab you). As of now, a name hasn't been leaked, nor has the complete coaster design. However, the worlds first elements are the "4th dimension" seats and the 12 loops.

I hope this is true, but I'm not sure there is enough room in the building...

Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SW7_(roller_coaster)

^ I'm sorry for doubting that because I was the one how asked, but Wikipedia is actually the last site I trust. And 12 inversions means 4 inside of that building, doesn't look like there is room for 4. In other words I think the words on Wikipedia are not possible to be the real ride.

SPOILER ALERT:

After a week being closed, the changes to Nemesis Sub-Terra are both considerable and widespread. Here's a rundown which I noticed, from my two rides at the weekend!

Briefing Area

No major changes, although the video is now louder in volume. Obviously, on opening weekend there wasn't even a video at this point.

Descent Lift

Spoken audio is the same, to instruct guests on boarding procedure. Accompanying this, there is now a droning sound which lowers in pitch as the lift descends into the cave. The vibrations are also more effective now, and there is a better sensation of going down. Generally louder. The cavern which guests walk through before entry into the observation chamber is the same, although the main chamber doors now do not open until several seconds after exits from the descent lift - so guests usually see them opening towards them.

Observation Chamber

New lighting on the egg, and a louder "heartbeat" noise accompanies this. The sequence/programming has changed a lot. The introduction at the start is now longer, before anything happens - then there are vibrations in the seat caused by heavy bass. Lights dim, various loud noises, egg hatches as before but much heavier water spray hits guests. Various "malfunction" messages play out, and lights dim again. Gondola's drop at different times. Nest of eggs very clear with new lighting flashing. Very loud noises play, speakers in seats to make it seem like the alien is moving around the room (this in darkness). Air bursts on back of neck. Lots of back poking and leg ticklers. Upon rising back up, countdown "30 SECONDS" begins, to get out of the main chamber. Very heavy strobing at this stage. Much more urgency. Guests leave seats and head towards Escape lifts - the room between main chamber and lifts is now full of smoke, air jets from above and heavy strobing. Lots of noise!

Ascent Lifts

More smoke through new panel. Lighting changed, more banging and more noise. Generally more "stress" going on here. You see a panel break at the top of the lift. Upon lift doors opening, a Phalanx Operative in gas mask from the decontamination unit bursts in with a flashlight, scaring all guests. Very effective here.

Decontamination Area

Entirely new. Lack of narrative here at the moment, although we were informed that this was being looked at. Guests go through decontamination in darkness. Phalanx operatives in gas masks, lots of flashing lights, strobes and bangs. Impression that a room has caved in as guests go under a fabric cloth. Lights have failed. Lots of mesh fencing. Very loud bangs just before exit.

And that... is the new Sub Terra. A massive improvement - well done Alton Towers. Now, just for a little improvement on the narrative side of things in the decontamination area and things will be well sorted!

I'm glad to hear that Alton has improved the ride experience. As a huge fan of themed attractions, I thought this thing had potential to be a nice "alien encounter" sort of ride. It's good to see that the park is making changes for the better.

Good for them for making some changes, it all sounds pretty cool to me. I've always been impressed with AT (which I've never visited) for trying to create solid attractions within the strict height restrictions they are saddled with.

Great to hear that it has improved. It was noticeable on opening day that they were not happy with the reports from the public about the ride and i'm glad that feedback has been taken onboard to improve it.

I'm looking forward to riding it again in just over a weeks time to compare both experiences.

I came across some information regrading the closure of Enterprise and Submission. On April 8th TowerTimes received a statement from AT reading:

We are delighted to confirm that both Submission and Enterprise in X-Sector will now be opening for the 2012 season.

A huge amount of work has been going on in the background to re-assess how we could keep these two ever popular attractions open should we be able to commence the preparatory work for the planned new rollercoaster opening in 2013, and we are now confident that we can achieve this.

Enterprise and Submission will operate alongside Oblivion and the brand new Fried Chicken Co restaurant which opened during the February half term to fantastic feedback.

Good to hear on my behalf as I'm finally visiting the park for the first time in 2 weeks .

^Exactly.

This sounds like a pretty cool mash up of Mystery Tower from Phantasialand and Alien Encounter from Disney. Can't wait to check it out.

I think it sounds cool, too. Alien Encounter was one of my all time favorite theme park attractions, so hearing that something like this popped up made me happy.

Also good to hear it got the opening kinks worked out. Sounds like a much better experience than the first few weeks of operation.

• 2 weeks later...