TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

p. 61: Jewels of the Sea Jellyfish Experience coming in 2024!

Manta Review (In depth)

Tagging: Two days. The ride had been open two days, and every single a$$hole is San Diego seems to have scratched their name into the wooden railing path leading up to the station. It was scratched everywhere with people's names and I <3 U and other random junk. It's so insulting to the park. I was appalled. I know they can't do much about it, it's just so sad that it is occurring in the first place. 

That's how California is dude. Even at my college, we just built a brand new parking structure and library. The bathrooms in the library and the elevator are all tagged and scratched the F up. I would think college age kids who are trying to obtain higher learning would have enough knowledge to respect and keep things nice for everyone, but they don't care. Some how vandalism has become "art." Scratching/spray painting your dumb @ss thoughts and call signs does not mean you're artist nor does it mean its an act of artistic expression. But I'm preaching to the choir. Its a shame Manta has already become a victim to such a behavior.

On a happier note, I'd like to hear from people who have been on both, how this compares to Cheetah Hunt since they're drawing so much comparison.

I'll be riding this on my birthday!! I only wish they would have made it 50ft. at least Didn't even know this ride existed until a billboard went up near my house, true story! Haven't been to Sea World in like 20 years...

It does have a 54ft drop. The reason it's not very tall is because of council restrictions.

Manta Review (In depth)

Tagging: Two days. The ride had been open two days, and every single a$$hole is San Diego seems to have scratched their name into the wooden railing path leading up to the station. It was scratched everywhere with people's names and I <3 U and other random junk. It's so insulting to the park. I was appalled. I know they can't do much about it, it's just so sad that it is occurring in the first place. 

That's how California is dude. Even at my college, we just built a brand new parking structure and library. The bathrooms in the library and the elevator are all tagged and scratched the F up. I would think college age kids who are trying to obtain higher learning would have enough knowledge to respect and keep things nice for everyone, but they don't care. Some how vandalism has become "art." Scratching/spray painting your dumb @ss thoughts and call signs does not mean you're artist nor does it mean its an act of artistic expression. But I'm preaching to the choir. Its a shame Manta has already become a victim to such a behavior.

On a happier note, I'd like to hear from people who have been on both, how this compares to Cheetah Hunt since they're drawing so much comparison.

I'm currently resisting making one of my more racist comments that has something to do with this type of stuff and Mexico 'happening', but either way I think it's something that the same idiots who are the ones to drop out of high school, and other stupid stuff think is cool along with walking around looking like a fool with about a foot of their boxers showing.

I'm currently resisting making one of my more racist comments that has something to do with this type of stuff and Mexico 'happening', but either way I think it's something that the same idiots who are the ones to drop out of high school, and other stupid stuff think is cool along with walking around looking like a fool with about a foot of their boxers showing.

Well, congrats on showing such high restraint there.

In regards to line jumping, it is terrible with this ride. I had at least 50 people cut in front of me during the course of waiting for four rides. They just walk right through like it is nothing.

As far as comparing Manta to Cheetah Hunt, I wouldn't. Manta is much smaller and doesn't have an inversion. I guess I would call it a mini Cheetah Hunt although CH is a better ride in my opinion. But with limited space and an insane height restriction SeaWorld did as good as they could. Manta really is a tremendous ride!

SeaWorld San Diego has sent us a press advisory regarding the opening of Manta.

The wait for Manta is over! After 18 months of construction and years of planning, SeaWorld guests are officially Riding the Ray and Feeling the Rush on San Diego’s first double-launch, multi-media roller coaster, Manta!

A festive grand opening ceremony hosted by SeaWorld Park President John Reilly and attended by San Diego City Council President Tony Young and San Diego City Council Member Lori Zapf preceded the first official Manta launch. Following a dramatic performance and drum roll by ensemble group TAIKOPROJECT and a “kelp ribbon” cutting, the first riders on Manta were students from the Elementary Institute of Science — a science enrichment program dedicated to nurturing the intellectual curiosity of San Diego's young people by providing hands-on experiences to stimulate an ongoing appreciation and understanding science, technology and the environment. As part of the grand opening, SeaWorld made a $10,000 donation to the nonprofit program and invited 20 students to be the first riders on opening day.

With Manta, SeaWorld has combined the thrill of an amazing double-launch roller coaster with an incredible, hands-on animal experience. The coaster features multiple twists and turns, an exciting 54-foot drop and a launch station with a 270-degree enveloping screen. Plus, riders and non-riders alike may enjoy dozens of rays, which can be seen in a 100,000-gallon aquarium through eight acrylic viewing windows, and, they can even reach in and touch and feed rays in a shallow pool.

Manta is located just north of Dolphin Point. SeaWorld worked with German ride design company MACK, which also engineered the marine-life park’s popular ride, Journey To Atlantis.

1192758552_drummersatMantagrandopening.thumb.jpg.9c6ed601307a43fede0653a4f948795c.jpg

Ensemble group The TAIKOPROJECT performed a pre-show and dramatic drum roll at the grand opening of Manta on Saturday, May 26, 2012. SeaWorld’s new mega attraction features a double-launch, multi-media roller coaster and a 100,000-gallon aquarium with bat rays that guests can see through underwater viewing windows and can touch and feed in a shallow pool. Manta is now officially open to the public.

1409987558_kelpcuttingatMantagrandopening.thumb.jpg.cc548c64b84863ce20d3f8c41957d46a.jpg

City Council Member Lori Zapf, SeaWorld Park President John Reilly and City Council President Tony Young cut the “kelp ribbon” to officially open Manta to the public on May 26, 2012. SeaWorld’s new mega attraction features a double-launch, multi-media roller coaster and a 100,000-gallon aquarium with bat rays that guests can see through underwater viewing windows and can touch and feed in a shallow pool. Manta is now officially open to the public.

1971123850_firstridersatMantagrandopening.thumb.jpg.5e8f3b0d0003e7db260644662db0b33b.jpg

Some of the first official riders enjoy Manta on opening day at SeaWorld San Diego, May 26, 2012. SeaWorld’s new mega attraction features a double-launch, multi-media roller coaster and a 100,000-gallon aquarium with bat rays that guests can see through underwater viewing windows and can touch and feed in a shallow pool. Manta is now officially open to the public.

Alright, this has been a bit over due, seeing as I rode Manta on Saturday, but I just wanted to give my opinion on the ride. I am honestly in love with this roller coaster. It is the perfect fit, I think, for SWSD. It is a very fun ride, not very thrilling, but definitely fun. It blew the expectations I had for it, the launches were more forceful than I thought they were, and the airtime on the ride surprised me. I'd go out on a limb and say this is a family coaster on steroids, it packs surprising punch.

Out of the nine times chickenbowl and I rode, I would have to say night time is the best to ride, everything just seems faster. And the trains look freaking awesome too, they are are very comfortable and look amazing. On whether to ride the ride front or back, I would have to recommend riding closer to the front, the airtime feels like it sustains itself longer, while in the back there is an extra pop.

Overall, I had a great day at Sea World, hanging out with my friends, and meeting Mr,. and Lady Bebe So if you are near SWSD, go ride Manta, you won't be disappointed.

Right, because White people don't tag or do any of that stuff. And that will be my only comment on that subject entirely.

Manta looks like a winner for Sea World San Diego! Not sure if I'll be able to make it down there this year, but I'm glad we got yet another great looking attraction in the busy So Cal market this year.

I'm an hour away from this coaster and I just can't get excited about riding it. While it looks like a really fun ride and is longer than I expected, it's the fact that SWSD has nothing else that would interest me, especially when the SD Zoo is so incredible.

For those of you who have been on CA coasters, what would you compare it to? Or did someone on the last page say it's a baby version of Maverick?

I'm just trying to justify the money I would spend to ride... a single coaster.

I bet there's some good Mexican food in the area though, right?

Too soon?

^You can't justify Sea World's high gate for a single credit, even a solid one like Manta. I love this thing, but I wouldn't drop $60+ just for it. I do think you're under-selling the park. As a marine institute and science / educational park, it's on the same world class tier as the SD Zoo. I understand your viewpoint; I've found no reason to visit the zoo in years.

My 15 year old says Manta is a kid-sized version of Maverick, but don't set your expectations that high. It is very, very good for a ride of this size and stats. I think it beats anything at Disney save Screamin due to its more forceful launch, size and extended length. Personally I'd rather ride Manta. It pulls tricks no other California coaster does.

Sea World is fond of the buy a day get the year model. It doesn't look as bad if you visit more than once. Come down and do it all, zoo, SW and Belmont each time. Cheaper than a Disney AP.

^ My sister has a SD zoo pass and gets me free tickets, so I thoroughly enjoy going when I can. She also has a SW pass, so I'm wondering if she'll ever get freebies, or if I have to buy a day and get a year.

I'll get down there eventually, but right now, I have passes for SFMM, Disney, and Knott's, plus I already bought a Deluxe for Disney next year.

I also need to let the 'newness' wear off..

^If your sister has a Platinum Pass, tell her to kick down. Each one is good for a free pass each year. Which reminds me, Silver and Plat APs can buy tickets for a $20 discount. The Fun Card is a better value.

I'm glad to hear all the positive reviews of this ride. I've always thought it would be good, but it semms as if it could possibly exceed my expectations. Sounds like its time to pay SeaWorld and Belmont Park a visit (last visit was 2006). Unfortunately, despite this being my most anticipated single California attraction (Cars Land doesn't count since it's more than one ride), I'll probably have to wait until August since my sister isn't out of school until late June and July is totally booked.

I drove down to SWSD to ride Manta yesterday, and the ride was AMAZING. Blew away expectations. That ride alone was worth the two-hour drive. It was an especially fun adventure considering that it was the first real "trip" I have gone on by myself despite the fact that it was only a day. Also spent time at Belmount after SW closed.

BTW, I have a trip report of my trip I want to share with some photos. Do you guys (mods) prefer I put it here or maker it's own thread for it?

I dropped by Sea World today to take a few spins on Manta and satisfy my curiosity over the site's current state. Just six days after the grand opening, it's looking much more polished.

The flamingos are back! And looking splendid.

Landscape work continues. I don't figure fellow coaster fans care about flowers - a parking lot, that's another thing. Other, more selective or particular observers weren't so kind. The complaints should stop soon. The dirt mounds in the center of the second half of the ride won't be barren for long. Sprinklers were watering their crowns. We should see grass or some other kind of ground cover sprout soon. It's not rockwork, but it's far from nothing. It appears only the area immediately under the track will remain unplanted.

I have photos of the landscaping. Boring. If you really want to see them, let me know.

From the queue as it approaches the station, it's easy to see that more vegetation is going in under the elevated track, particularly the section leading from the largest airtime hill.

The rays in the touch pool were much more lively today. I'm no marine biologist, but I'd guess they've acclimated. There could have been more of them too. There certainly were plenty of angel sharks.

Finally, the staff was cranking out trains. One after the other! Operations are moving as efficiently as I've seen them at any park. This is a big selling point, and a great contrast to Orlando's more thrilling but slow-loading flier.

Silver and Platinum passholder ERT is scheduled to start Saturday morning, one hour prior to regular park opening. I hope to check it out on Sunday.

Alright here goes my review for the Manta coaster and surrounding area. I know others have posted their, but i thought i would throw mine into the mix.

First of all, let me say that this coaster is absolutely amazing and was just the ride that SeaWorld San Diego needed. Other people have said that it is a family coaster on steroids, and i must agree that this coaster looks all small and slow at first, but once you get on, it really does pack a punch! The surrounding are is also very nice and really adds a lot to the coaster.

The ride itself is an outstanding ride that probably has the most airtime in all of California. I rode the ride twice, once in the very front and once in the very back. I personally suggest the front over the back since it seemed as if the airtime lasted longer and you get a great view of the tight turns you are taking on. The projection tunnel was a great touch, especially with the swaying back and forth as if you were in the ocean. You could easily see the screen around you, but the light did kinda wash it out a little. The launches were very fun, and the drop under the bridge was amazing! This ride is absolutely the perfect fit for SeaWorld San Diego and is a perfect example of, "Never judge a book by its cover."

The surrounding area is very. very nice. The petting area seemed a little bland to me. It was just that the bottom of the tank was just concrete and nothing else. I don't know if they are going to just leave it like that or add sand to it. The gift shop and petting are really reminded me of what Forbidden Reef looked like except you have a coaster in the background. The landscaping around the que seemed to be done, but ut didn't look done on the back half of the coaster.

This coaster is the perfect fit for SeaWorld San Diego and should be praised for what you can do with a 30 ft. height limit. I would say this is a must ride when at SeaWorld and is definitely worth the wait. Now on to pictures.

618262052_SWSDManta005.jpg.fa05f0ca1c0bca21d5fa04b9c3300ede.jpg

Look at the pretty flowers and plants.

141483058_SWSDManta006.jpg.ea5d492d3e7e7bf10ebb97c3cc3f8ffd.jpg

More landscaping.

257430905_SWSDManta009.jpg.3cde099edbda45f4257518a71a489100.jpg

Oooh, a footer!

594929375_SWSDManta015.jpg.fb5345ea61ed777f7786ce37f111567d.jpg

The station, very nice and pretty!

549563941_SWSDManta019.jpg.1bd74bb89e85ac82f969ce929c44fe94.jpg

This was just sitting in all of the landscaping, wonder what its for.

418609912_SWSDManta022.jpg.202ea1d3ba6547fca002ee515afa62dc.jpg

Two footers in one picture!

59799499_SWSDManta027.jpg.86af35f038d4a1b166b63dff48e074d5.jpg

Rock.

500146920_SWSDManta028.jpg.9ed57b04d0add8ff6d53328788c04bdd.jpg

I really liked this hill, by far the best airtime hill you will see in California.

2134321188_SWSDManta034.jpg.10420fabe004af3bccd70100588a5d3f.jpg

This was taking from the ramp leading up to the staion. Wonder if they will put some bushes here or something.

1201334211_SWSDManta040.jpg.9a4a2b251dfa896a037741056a346ef6.jpg

There is a crack in the track! Oh wait, that is where the transfer track is, my bad.

850717777_SWSDManta043.jpg.fd379ce8f7b59a82b4579002a5ed2f34.jpg

Saw this before the bridge over the track. I think it is pretty cool.

1606780327_SWSDManta044.jpg.a7ffc6dd431ba2e8c676072ef6daaa9c.jpg

The restruant in front of Manta.

298424869_SWSDManta045.jpg.c63e761fa44c04e335f6ae4d75595248.jpg

The stinky flamingos are back. Eww

541086519_SWSDManta046.jpg.1332f1795514157a91819adbdeae8689.jpg

I spot a Manta.

1824541651_SWSDManta048.jpg.bb67e7ba097be1f145c08029b9ad6e76.jpg

Another Manta.

1527515667_SWSDManta050.jpg.467aa1f506f1ab6eda045aae05c5e10c.jpg

Man, there is a lot of Mantas at SeaWorld today!

852019753_SWSDManta056.jpg.32aa96f1e5da5bed03eb061024a4b808.jpg

Landscaping on the back half of the ride. Doesn't seem very complete yet.

I'm thinking of getting a SWSD Fun Card in a few weeks, do you think it's worth it? I'm not going just for Manta, but Manta is what triggered me to think about getting a Fun Card. I'm moving to North County in mid June and I would frequently go to San Diego, so I just want to visit SWSD for a few hours each time I go to SD. Thanks for any replies.

^ as long as you are planning on putting it to use I'd get one since most the discounts on one day tickets only seems to be $10 off. They also have a drop off and/or short term parking lot you can easily park in for free for a couple hours on your visits.

My thoughts on Manta was it's the perfect family coaster that can still be fun for everyone. Two launches with just enough kick, some great transitions and even some unexpected pops of Airtime thrown into the mix. None of which was too extreme for the younger riders. I would reccomend riding near the back for a little more force, and also to get a much better view of the show screens before launching. And as many have said, this ride is not big boy friendly, we saw a number of extremely close calls and one walk of shame, so be sure to try the test seat out. Despite these slow downs the crews where running and cranking out all 4 trains in what seemed like only a few seconds apart. So kudos to Sea World and Mack for picking and designing such a fun and efficient ride that the park needed and deserved!